Hey guys, I'm going to be replacing the timing set (chain/sprockets) on my '98 Buick Regal GS soon. It has the L67 engine (3800 S/C). The car runs great and there are no apparent problems with the timing set, but I want to install a set of ZZP 1.9 rocker arms and LS6 valve springs/retainers for more power. I'm hesitant to do those mods with the original timing chain because of the increased load it will put on the chain.

I have the tools to remove the harmonic balancer, but I am hesitant to put my impact driver on the center bolt to remove/replace it. Could this damage the main bearings? I have seen videos of people using an impact on the bolt, or using a breaker bar and the car's starter motor to remove it. I depend on the car for my job so I'm a little nervous about potentially breaking something if I ham-fist it. I'm not really sure what the 'correct' method is for this bolt. I was even considering using a large strap wrench (and two people), which should also allow me to torque it back to spec. Although I also wonder if that would damage the elastomer ring in the balancer.