Thread: Omni intercooler setups.

turbo addict

Omni intercooler setups.

Looking for pictures and info on front mount intercoolers on omnis. Just bought glhs 116 and will eventually go front mount. Is it possible to retain air conditioning or does it have to go. I also dont wanna cut on the car at all being that its mint and anything i do id like to be able to return to stock as well.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Omni intercooler setups.

AC and not cutting is a tall order in an Omni. Have you thought about an air to water unit? You might check out Warren Hall's setup. I think something like that would be ideal for a guy wanting to keep AC and have the ability to return to stock.

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: There was a "show off your intercooler" thread years ago. I'm not sure if the photo links still work, but there were photos of just about every body style and combination you could imagine.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    AC and not cutting is a tall order in an Omni. Have you thought about an air to water unit? You might check out Warren Hall's setup. I think something like that would be ideal for a guy wanting to keep AC and have the ability to return to stock.

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: There was a "show off your intercooler" thread years ago. I'm not sure if the photo links still work, but there were photos of just about every body style and combination you could imagine.
    I looked at that thread. Some dead links. Some ideas i like. But didnt see any that kept ac. My main thing is to be able to return it back to stock. So ac may have to go to do it. I have not researched air to water very much but then I gotta sneak a radiator in somewhere. Not out of the question tho.

turbo addict

My garnet red Omni has a large front mount grafted into it. 900 CFM efficient. This is Treadstone bar & plate. Not some generic Chinese crap.

On the 4 door L-body you'll be hard pressed to retain AC, have a FMIC, and fit condenser behind the grille. Have you considered air to water intercooler?

Do it right and you can reverse anything you need to cut. In between my radiator and intercooler I used .500" square tubing, which is attached to the bottom of the core support, as well as screwed into the bottom of the hood latch. Far stronger than the stock sheet metal the factory used. I did this both on the Masi GLHS transplant and the garnet red Omni transplant.

Your gonna find anything of any size and you'll just run out of real estate to run AC condenser. My old GLHT used an Indy intercooler and had working AC, stock airbox, etc. Car has ran 12.0's with not a great 60' time. So you definitely can have a 11 second GLHS using a stock or Indy intercooler if you build it correctly. How fast you need to go?
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9573.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	520.1 KB 
ID:	65171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9645.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	65172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	masi intercooler 003.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	65174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	masi intercooler4.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	65175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	masi intercooler3.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	65176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9450.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	65179  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5996a.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	454.3 KB 
ID:	65178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9982.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	65173  
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 10-11-2020 at 01:01 AM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    My garnet red Omni has a large front mount grated into it. 900 CFM efficient. This is Treadstone bar & plate. Not some generic Chinese crap.

On the 4 door L-body you'll be hard pressed to retain AC, have a FMIC, and fit condenser behind the grille. Have you considered air to water intercooler?

Do it right and you can reverse anything you need to cut. In between my radiator and intercooler I used a .500" square tubing, which is attached to the bottom of the core support, as well as screwed into the bottom of the hood latch. Far stronger than the stock sheet metal the factory used. I did this both on the Masi GLHS transplant and the garnet red Omni transplant.

Your gonna find anything of any size and you'll just run out of real estate to run AC condenser. My old GLHT used an Indy intercooler and had working AC, stock airbox, etc. Car has ran 12.0's with not a great 60' time. So you definitely can have a 11 second GLHS using a stock or Indy intercooler if you build it correctly. Fast fast you need to go?
    Todd
    11s is decent. May be enough if not guess im gonna have to decide if ac is needed or not lol.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Buy another Omni, cut off the radiator support and save it for your return to stock. Save the GLHS upper tie bar so the VIN matches.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Buy another Omni, cut off the radiator support and save it for your return to stock. Save the GLHS upper tie bar so the VIN matches.
    I cut off a radiator support off of a 4 dr Horizon so I could figure out what to cut and what not to cut. I first tried to fit a larger IC in place and determined it wasn't going to fit without major mods. Measure twice cut once right? IMO, it would be far easier to weld up any sheet metal you may cut off, than to replace the whole enchilada.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9311.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	472.6 KB 
ID:	65183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9292.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	660.8 KB 
ID:	65182  

turbo addict

My Grill is my intercooler

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    How fast you need to go?
    Todd
    You know, my daily driver is a gas only 2000 Insight. 0-60 in 20 seconds is fine for daily use.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    My Grill is my intercooler
    Harry, you need a black Pentastar in the middle of that intercooler. (hehe).
    Todd