Thread: Door tensioner piece

Door tensioner piece

It sure what this is called, but on my Lancer it is the metal hook that helps put tension on the door when open or partially open. Looking for at least one, would prefer two or more for future issues.

PM me or post if you have one. Unsure if this is only for the Lancer or other vehicles, but guessing it's fairly common for the body if not other cars.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201008_205652_copy_756x1008.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	65170
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Door tensioner piece

door hinge spring.

There are reproductions on ebay that are made for the older classic mopars but they are narrower so no go on fitment. Other than L body and maybe the earlier K body they are pretty universal across the line up. Best to source a passenger side hinge (they are the same, just mounted upside down) as they are usually not so worn out.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I noted that the piece you posted looks indistinguishable from the piece I saw in my CSX door jamb when I looked at it this week. If there's a difference, it can't be much. Given that Chrysler tried to save as much money as possible on these cars, I find it hard to believe they're not all the same anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    door hinge spring.

There are reproductions on ebay that are made for the older classic mopars but they are narrower so no go on fitment. Other than L body and maybe the earlier K body they are pretty universal across the line up. Best to source a passenger side hinge (they are the same, just mounted upside down) as they are usually not so worn out.
    Definitely want a factory one and good point about getting a passenger side one. Would love to have a few just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I noted that the piece you posted looks indistinguishable from the piece I saw in my CSX door jamb when I looked at it this week. If there's a difference, it can't be much. Given that Chrysler tried to save as much money as possible on these cars, I find it hard to believe they're not all the same anyway.
    Imagine the one in the pic with the same bend on the other end. I would bet good money Chrysler used that piece for decades if they could.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Door Check Spring is the name of the part. You can make one from an old trunk lid torsion bar. Or you can message Tyler Lesjack on the SDAC facebook page. He has a couple sets of lancer doors. It’s easier to change the whole hinge.