Thread: New Yorker Fuel Pump?

Garrett booster

New Yorker Fuel Pump?

Ordered a new fuel pump for my 86 NY'r turbo a few weeks back. Finally got around to pulling the old one out yesterday and they look nothing alike. The old pump is a Bosch that is massive in comparison to the new pump. It is literally twice the diameter than the new pump, as well as a bit longer. The old pump has a banjo style connector, with what looks to be a round metal regulator(for lack of a better word) that screws on to the top of the pump outlet. I am not finding it on any parts websites and quite frankly, I'm stumped as to what I have. It is reminiscent of a BMW or Porsche pump. Anyone ever come across this before and if so, how did you deal with it? Thanks.

turbo addict

Re: New Yorker Fuel Pump?

The pump your describing sounds like the external turbo l-body pump. IIRC, the earlier vehicles used this pump internally and externally before going to the Walbro design. The round metal piece is a pulse damper not a regulator. Your regulator is underhood, at the end of your fuel rail. Probably also a Bosch unit. I think tryingbe (Harry) has a couple threads on fuel pumps if you do a search on this forum.
    Todd

Garrett booster

Pulse dampener. lol I have seen similar units on home water tanks before. Just was having a brain fart and couldn't think what it was called. Thanks for the input. Like I said I had been all over the internet and didn't find anything that matched it. I will research tryingbe's threads.
    Ed

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You don't need the pulse damper on there. I've never reinstalled that unit when changing the FP.