Thread: Steering column roll pin issue

Steering column roll pin issue

Not sure where to put this so it's going here. I'm removing my steering column after almost a year of my car sitting. I got stuck here and sorta forgot about this, but curious as to how this thing is done. Looks like a roll pin, but seems to have a plastic or some sort of non-metal bushing around it. How exactly is this supposed to work? I knew I had slop in my steering, but the 1/4" of movement down here translates to a TON of movement at the wheel. Do they sell a replacement roll pin this big?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200907_115243_copy_1008x756.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	65114
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Re: Steering column roll pin issue

Ok got it out,just pulled it and it came off. The pin is just to keep it from spinning inside the other piece, which has an isolator. So the real question is, do I move to install some electric power assist unit inline and work to get power steering on the car or somehow keep this thing from turning inside this and try and keep the rubber isolator to reduce vibration or just weld it and call it a day?[

ATTACH=CONFIG]65115[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200907_134112_copy_756x1008.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	65115  
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Hey Jon,
    IIRC, they had several L-body variations (at least three) of this joint. Might want to check around seeing what sort of stock availability is out there. Different vendors or different designs is a key question? They also had another version that didn't use the slip in L-body joint. That might be a solution. One less part that could break is my theory.
    Todd

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Hey Jon,
    IIRC, they had several L-body variations (at least three) of this joint. Might want to check around seeing what sort of stock availability is out there. Different vendors or different designs is a key question? They also had another version that didn't use the slip in L-body joint. That might be a solution. One less part that could break is my theory.
    Todd
    Thanks Todd! Saying it out loud, I think the problem I have is the use of a power steering rack without the power assist. Having said that, my plan is to find the best solution that will help with the play in the steering whether that is electric assist or another design that is bolt-on.

Great to know about the other options, thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Hey Jon,
    Todd
    Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    This is the other option I'm considering. Not this one exactly, but this idea. Someone already did one on a Shadow I believe, but I don't remember how to find the post. May not have even been on this forum.

Thanks Andy!

turbo addict

Jon,
    Steve C. had/has electric PS pump on his TIII CSX Shadow out of necessity. That was done probably a couple decades ago! IIRC, MR2 power steering pump mounted below alternator & water pump area. I remember looking at his car pretty closely last time I saw it maybe at SDAC 17 outside Pittsburgh? Very innovative, smart, nice guy that thinks outside the box. Rolls car off the trailer and runs 11.20's around 125 MPH. It runs as good as it looks! I probably have an email addy for him if you really need more info. Here is a couple pics of his car.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1087.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	272.4 KB 
ID:	65117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1088.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	350.7 KB 
ID:	65116  

Man a clean engine doesn't make your car fast, but it's a good indicator

I may take you up on that Todd. I'm not at the point to pull the trigger on any decision or really to work through it, but hopefully will be shortly.