Thread: Delrin Control Arm Bushings

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Delrin Control Arm Bushings

Is there any reason not to make some Delrin bushings for our A arms? Has anyone had enough of our control arms apart to know how much the ID varies? I should be able to knock these out easily, but I don't want to make 7-10 sets for my cars only to find out that there are huge tolerances in them due to the fact that the original bushings are rubber. I would think that could easily be the case. If anyone has experience on this front, I'd love to hear about it.

ETA: Well, due to a fortuitous post on another thread, in which I found a sweet ebay coupon, I've got 12" of 2.25" delrin on the way to my house. Let the machining begin!
    Last edited by cordes; 08-30-2020 at 10:31 PM.

boostaholic

Re: Delrin Control Arm Bushings

I just installed some bearing in a set of cast control arms this year. The IDs are machined and are with .002 of each other at least the two I had. I know that probably doesn’t help much since I only measured one set. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo addict

CS Racer did that a while back. He detailed it on here.

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    I just installed some bearing in a set of cast control arms this year. The IDs are machined and are with .002 of each other at least the two I had. I know that probably doesn’t help much since I only measured one set. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. 👍

Thanks for that info. It will really help when I measure mine. I have a couple sets I could relatively, easily pull from.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    CS Racer did that a while back. He detailed it on here.
    I'll check that out. Thanks for the lead. He has created a lot of awesome stuff.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Thanks for that info. It will really help when I measure mine. I have a couple sets I could relatively, easily pull from.

I'll check that out. Thanks for the lead. He has created a lot of awesome stuff.
    Cordes, I screwed up. I told you the wrong name! It was ShelGame that did it. It's buried in his build thread, but he detailed out putting bearings in the arms, which should be VERY similar to making Delrin bushings.

Thanks. Glad it wasn't my inability to search for once.

boostaholic

I’m sorry I never asked are you planning on using cast arms or stamped arms?

I have a set of cast arms, and a couple sets of stamped arms I plan on making them for.

I made some bushings last night. I need to get the video voiced over, but I just did the rears on some stamped arms. They're really simple and Delrin is very easy to machine. The front bushings on the stamped arms have a taper to them in the middle and I don't want to mess with that given I've read you should only make one end of the control arm use a Delrin bushing anyway.

turbo addict

Huh? I've never heard that? So are you not supposed to run two spherical bearings on control arms either? Seems a bit suspect to me...and if you allow a lot of movement, the Delrin WILL yield and "wallow" out. I say if you do 1, you should do both. BTW, I am interested in a set for stamped arms if you decide to make some.

Huh? I've never heard that? So are you not supposed to run two spherical bearings on control arms either? Seems a bit suspect to me...and if you allow a lot of movement, the Delrin WILL yield and "wallow" out. I say if you do 1, you should do both. BTW, I am interested in a set for stamped arms if you decide to make some.
    I read that and saw it in a video or two. In one instance it was for a miata. he set of rear poly bushings that I picked up a few years ago in a group of parts is what I assume remained from when someone else did this.

For me, the problem is that the stamped arms are pretty close in size, but clearly made for a rubber bushing that would be able to take up the imperfections of the manufacturing process. The slight taper to the front bushing will be a pain compared to the rears, and I wonder if my desire to make these would outrun my skill at that point.

To be totally honest, with how quick and cheap the rears are to do, I could replace them fairly often for the time, money, and effort into them.

If I'm still the lab assistant next semester, I'll look at making a bunch of them for cheap.

turbo addict

I would make them a press-fit with the steel bushing in place. No need to taper. Or...brake hone the arm to a consistent diameter and make it.

I would make them a press-fit with the steel bushing in place. No need to taper. Or...brake hone the arm to a consistent diameter and make it.
    I was thinking about it last night, and I think the taper is only at a fairly short point at which it goes back to a constant dia. I could just cut it to the two diameters and forego the taper. I don't think it would make a difference at the end of the day. I'll have to look at it again.