Thread: Garrett TB0371 Turbo Fitment

Garrett booster

Garrett TB0371 Turbo Fitment

Hello everyone. I'm looking to upgrade the Mitsubishi turbo to a Garrett unit.

Does anyone know if a TB0371 will bolt up the the standard 8v exhaust manifold?

Donovan's site says that the TB03 turbo was only in Turbo III 16v valve cars. Is this the same turbo with same extra numbers attached to the end? Or a different turbo?

Here is a picture of the bolt pattern. Looks similar to my Mitsu...

Thanks yall. i did search the archives but couldnt find an answer.

turbo addict

Re: Garrett TB0371 Turbo Fitment

Garrett part #'s TBO3?? is the frame size of turbo. They fit a variety of applications. Saab, Volvo, Buick, Ford, Chrysler, misc. tractors, etc. . For an exact application you need the Garrett part # which was typically a 10 digit #. Yes this should fit providing this is a photo of the actual turbo. This clearly has the unique Chrysler inlet flange pattern. The TIII used the universal TO3 or what some people refer to as the Ford housing. Attachments below shows the rectangular TIII Ford style housings. Last picture shows the two inlet flanges (Chrysler and Ford) side by side.
    You would also need the appropriate coolant feed and return fittings & lines as well as the turbo oil outlet drain tube, as these are different than the Mitsubishi turbo.
    BTW - The turbo you pictured appears to be an 88 TII model which has the small 2-1/4" swing valve but with the larger downpipe flange on it. The 89 TII model (third picture) would have a true 2.5" swingvalve with a large wastegate can actuator. This would be considered a small upgrade over the 88 model year.
    Hope this info helps,
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t3 flange.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	65069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0248.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	65070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3713.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	65071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4800.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	300.1 KB 
ID:	65072  

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Garrett part #'s TBO3?? is the frame size of turbo. They fit a variety of applications. Saab, Volvo, Buick, Ford, Chrysler, misc. tractors, etc. . For an exact application you need the Garrett part # which was typically a 10 digit #. Yes this should fit providing this is a photo of the actual turbo. This clearly has the unique Chrysler inlet flange pattern. The TIII used the universal TO3 or what some people refer to as the Ford housing. Attachments below shows the rectangular TIII Ford style housings. Last picture shows the two inlet flanges (Chrysler and Ford) side by side.
    You would also need the appropriate coolant feed and return fittings & lines as well as the turbo oil outlet drain tube, as these are different than the Mitsubishi turbo.
    BTW - The turbo you pictured appears to be an 88 TII model which has the small 2-1/4" swing valve but with the larger downpipe flange on it. The 89 TII model (third picture) would have a true 2.5" swingvalve with a large wastegate can actuator. This would be considered a small upgrade over the 88 model year.
    Hope this info helps,
    Todd

Thank you, Todd. great info. Is there a database somewhere I can verify the application with the 10 digit number? I found some links to one in the search, but the link no longer work.

This is the number i got:

465339-0001 (4387479)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

What Todd said!!

I don't think there is another Engine on the planet with the same pattern as our 8 V Engines.

If it has that irregular Chrysler bolt pattern it fits, Mitsu, Garrett T-I/T-II and Super 60.

Did I miss any??

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada