Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TCE Performance big brake kit

Hybrid booster

TCE Performance big brake kit

I just sent TCE Performance in Arizona a spindle, 16 inch Pumper wheel, and brake hoses so they can engineer a big brake kit that will work with the factory Pumper wheel. I will post info as I get it.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: TCE Performance big brake kit

Wow. I didn't realize you were sending all of that to them. You're the man. Thanks for stepping up to do this. Let me know how it goes. That will very much affect my work on the same front.

Hybrid booster

It basically boiled down to the more parts I send them the less chance for failure there will be. I was able to borrow the spindle and wheel locally so it worked out well. And since I'm going to be running my 16 inch Pumpers they will be able to figure out the maximum size

turbo addict

Well hell, thanks! I was just going to build my own!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Well hell, thanks! I was just going to build my own!
    I'd be able to build my own if I could use Legos or Lincoln logs. Lol

turbo addict

Only wish you stepped up to 17" wheels...SO much more options because you can use 13" rotors. 16" wheels are about maxed at 12".

Hybrid booster

Only wish you stepped up to 17" wheels...SO much more options because you can use 13" rotors. 16" wheels are about maxed at 12".
    I mulled it over many times but really couldn't find another wheel that did it for me. So, sacrifices had to be made

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by wastelands warrior View Post
    i mulled it over many times but really couldn't find another wheel that did it for me. So, sacrifices had to be made
    rpf-1 everything!

Hybrid booster

rpf-1 everything!
    Other than the lighter weight, it does nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    Other than the lighter weight, it does nothing for me.
    I like the look of the pumpers better than the RPF1 too. But that 8lbs. per wheel, well I have a set on my CSX.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I am betting good pads on the stock calipers will provide more stopping power than any tire you could properly fit on a heavy, narrow, stock pumper wheel.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I am betting good pads on the stock calipers will provide more stopping power than any tire you could properly fit on a heavy, narrow, stock pumper wheel.
    I have 11" with 60mm caliper using Hawk pads from Rich with 24mm MC on my P body. They are near perfect for me, stopping quickly without lock up even at highway speeds.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    They will a couple of times on the highway, but on track...you WILL boil the fluid about 5 laps in without cooling or SOMETHING in a full weight car, even on auto-cross tires. That is what *I* am after...a true track-ready big-brake option.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

They will a couple of times on the highway, but on track...you WILL boil the fluid about 5 laps in without cooling or SOMETHING in a full weight car, even on auto-cross tires. That is what *I* am after...a true track-ready big-brake option.
    That makes sense. But you're probably not limiting yourself to a factory wheel either.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Just paid a non refundable engineering fee to TCE so the brake party is started!

Hybrid booster

sounds good!!

Can't wait to see

The brake bolts up to which year spindles? I have style I believe came on the 91+ Daytonas, guessing the brakes won't boot up to them? I don't everr remember which years had which setups. I know I did it because the bolts to hold them to the spindles are 10mm and not the massive bolts. Regardless, I never thought to do what you're doing. Interested to hear and see the results.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    The brake bolts up to which year spindles? I have style I believe came on the 91+ Daytonas, guessing the brakes won't boot up to them? I don't everr remember which years had which setups. I know I did it because the bolts to hold them to the spindles are 10mm and not the massive bolts. Regardless, I never thought to do what you're doing. Interested to hear and see the results.
    You have the earlier 89 big brakes. The caliper bracket is cast into the knuckle. The later ones, while having a better geometry, do weigh a pound or two more if my memory serves. I want to take the later knuckle and make a bracket to adapt big calipers to it. That should be a net savings over any stock 11" setup as the caliper and bracket will be significantly lighter.

Are the calipers similar? I remember pulling the brakes off the Daytona and using a 10mm socket to brake the caliper bolts loose. It's been a bit, but I think I remember that? Regardless, interested to see where this goes.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast