Thread: Fan Choice?

Garrett booster

Fan Choice?

I'm piecing my '85, 600 together and need to pick a fan to mount on the T2 radiator that's going in it. As you can see from the picture, I have two. I assume (maybe wrongly) that the aluminum fan version is original to the car (but then why is there a junkyard scrawl on it?). The T2 radiator/intercooler I'm using came out of a junkyard '87 LeBaron but I don't think it was original to that car. The plastic blade fan may have come from that.

I'm leaning toward the plastic fan version as it might be quieter. Both fan motors seem to have good bearings. The car has A/C if that's a factor

Thoughts?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

Re: Fan Choice?

I used one of the plastic fans on my 1985 Lebaron, the only real problem wasn't the fan so much as the design of the T2 radiator/intercooler that only allows the fan to cover the radiator area. I was never able to successfully run R134 in it as a result. On the 1986 I am currently building I went to a pusher pair of fans modified from a 1999 Ford Contour set (they were originally a puller). They are a 2 speed set that uses a resistor for low and full power for high. I have the standard Chrysler control for low and am using a pressure switch from a 1993 Grand Caravan for high speed with two relays, low and high.

turbo addict

Unless you want it to be 100% accurate, don't even bother with that pile of junk fan. Go find a 1990 V6 fan. It has a big plastic shroud that easily trims to fit the TII radiator, a flat motor that allows WAY more room up front, the blade itself is MUCH more efficient, and it has the correct pigtail to connect to the engine harness. ALL WIN!

Garrett booster

The original (wider) radiator used that same shroud so the fan only covered part of that radiator anyway. I haven't decided what refrigerant to use with the A/C but I'd hate to use R134 and get lousy results. I have a new condenser (original style), drier, expansion valve and am going to thoroughly flush the evaporator.

I think my refrigerant choices are between R134 and air duster at this point.

Does anyone know if one of these fans pulls more air than the other? The motors look the same.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Duster is my vote
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Unless you want it to be 100% accurate, don't even bother with that pile of junk fan. Go find a 1990 V6 fan. It has a big plastic shroud that easily trims to fit the TII radiator, a flat motor that allows WAY more room up front, the blade itself is MUCH more efficient, and it has the correct pigtail to connect to the engine harness. ALL WIN!
    Exactly what I did for my Charger. I still have to remove the fan to change the oil filter, but bonus points, it's held in place with little metal clips rather than being bolted to the radiator. Quick and easy.

Garrett booster

Reaper and Supercrackerbox - Thanks for the tip - the '90 fan sounds like the way to go. I'm not staying 100% factory accurate (Brakes and suspension are on their way to becoming '87-'89 Daytona Shelby style) but I want to keep the car so it can be made stock again if someone wants change it back in the future. Being a K-body, I have lots of oil filter clearance anyway. Right now there is a big ol' PH8 style on it but for the next oil change I got a PH3600 style as used on 2.4 turbos - same diameter as the little stock one but over an inch longer. The big filter looks a bit odd on a 4-banger. I actually prefer the Pure 1, Purolator filters and that's what I run.

For now I'll run the plastic fan because I have it but will look into the V6 fan for an upgrade. What year range and model car should I be looking for in the boneyard for a fan like yours? 3.0 liter V6, correct? Daytona, Dynasty.....?

Chromguy: I'm leaning toward the air duster R-152a. I did a fairly deep dive into researching it. - enough to get into engineering terms I don't understand. It's actually an EPA approved refrigerant for future use in new cars but has a class 2 flammability rating. In gaseous form it will not maintain combustion but will as a liquid. New cars are using R-1234yf, which is also class 2 flammable but not quite as much. I think the 'yf' suffix stands for 'You're F*ed' if you have to buy any of it as Autozone wants $45 for 8 ounces and $850 for a 10 lb tank!

The air duster seems to have slightly better cooling than R-134, especially at higher outside temperatures. A big benefit is that it is a more efficient gas as far as compressor load goes. It uses less engine power and can improve gas mileage. Also, it seems it takes fewer ounces of it to fill the system vs R134. A disadvantage is that I have to buy a can tap.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeboy77 View Post

For now I'll run the plastic fan because I have it but will look into the V6 fan for an upgrade. What year range and model car should I be looking for in the boneyard for a fan like yours? 3.0 liter V6, correct? Daytona, Dynasty.....?
    I don't remember the specific year, but mine came out of a V6 Spirit. I still have a full size L-body radiator in Charger with an aftermarket front mount intercooler, but the shroud on this fan could have easily been trimmed to fit a TII size radiator.

Garrett booster

Looking at the Rock Auto site, it appears that flat V6 fan motor was mostly a 1990 thing, with a few exceptions.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeboy77 View Post
    Looking at the Rock Auto site, it appears that flat V6 fan motor was mostly a 1990 thing, with a few exceptions.
    Yes, the exact fan only came in 1990. After that they went to a different style connector and the overflow bottle was integrated because they moved the battery forward a bit to accommodate the PDC that took up more space than the old relay/fusible link setup.

Garrett booster

Whichever fan you use go into the FSM and see the RPM's. They may be different. That's why I went with a 96 Volvo 960 fan. PM me id interested how I did it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Jason89 View Post
    Whichever fan you use go into the FSM and see the RPM's. They may be different. That's why I went with a 96 Volvo 960 fan. PM me id interested how I did it.

That is a function of the motor, fan blade, and supplied power. Our fans are either "on" or "off"...it wasn't until later until they started using multi-speed fan controls integrated into the wiring from the relays.

Garrett booster

I only use high speed. I actually don't use the stock Volvo relay. I use an 80 amp Bosch type. The CFMs are huge. I have a 89 Daytona and this fan made a large difference wth my cooling and a/c. My stock fan went bad. I replaced it with a lower speed fan from a spirit. That wasn't enough.

Mitsu booster

Mopar says,
    Fan 04401136 89-90
    Motor 04546051 89-90
    Shroud 0441138 89-91
    Retainer 06500377 84-2000

Starparts doesn't give a number for a fan assembly.

Acclaim/Spirit/Lebaron

turbo addict

Been using the 90 V6 fan since before Reaper which is a really long time, great fan, glad to see others using it.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

im using a 2001 caravan fan.

that thing moves some air.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

I'm running the 90s Volvo S70 2-speed fan in my R/T, with a TU aluminum radiator, which was intended for the GLHS cars. I have it set up so the the high speed is controlled by the SBEC and the low speed is controlled by either the 190* temp switch in the outlet side of the radiator or the override switch in the car. The SBEC never has to turn on the fan, it never gets that warm anymore. The fan pushes a lot of air, even on low! I plan to install the A/C system this winter and use a 1990ish minivan condenser as it fits nicely in front of the radiator and is just about the same size as the radiator. My charge pipes run up front next to the radiator, so a full size condenser is out of the question.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

I only ever use Volvo fans off 960/940 but I live in Arizona and have working a/c.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I'm using this on a TurbosUnleashed aluminum TII radiator in my Shelby Lancer. It has a really nice integrated plastic shroud and fits the TII style radiator nicely. Works great and I will probably buy another.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16926