Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 73

Thread: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

  1. #21
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,425

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    Wayne, SLug and Mean Mini's owner is a great guy.

    Just before Gus passed he told me he liked the name nickname Flowdaddy.

    If I ever had a Spirit/Acclain I would name it Flowdaddy in honor of him.

    Nice car !!!

    Thanks
    Randy

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenderbass View Post
    wow i had no idea they were still on the road. Iíll have to come up with a new name :-)


    There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

    Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

  2. #22
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Goshen, New York
    Posts
    71

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    for those of you guys tuning the SMEC, is there a particular cable/dongle you guys use to hook up a laptop?

  3. #23
    Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tuscola, IL
    Posts
    20,404

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenderbass View Post
    for those of you guys tuning the SMEC, is there a particular cable/dongle you guys use to hook up a laptop?
    Others are much more advance than I, but I just burn the chip and swap it out. I am getting ready to install my first MPSciLink deal. It should bring me into this millennium.

    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...9268-MPSciLink

  4. #24
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenderbass View Post
    for those of you guys tuning the SMEC, is there a particular cable/dongle you guys use to hook up a laptop?
    Is your SMEC flashable or stock? Is the SMEC socketed?
    If flashable you need a FTDI cable. Personally I use a "genuine" FTDI USB board and invert the signal as per the BoostButton instructions. Let us know what you need. If you are handy at soldering, let us know as well. If not, we can lead (pun intended) you to someone who is.
    A SMEC flash module is the way to go as you don't need a burner.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post593977
    Will help get you started
    Regards,
    Miles

    DD '87 Sundance T1, 12PSI, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432

  5. #25
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Goshen, New York
    Posts
    71

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    Is your SMEC flashable or stock? Is the SMEC socketed?
    If flashable you need a FTDI cable. Personally I use a "genuine" FTDI USB board and invert the signal as per the BoostButton instructions. Let us know what you need. If you are handy at soldering, let us know as well. If not, we can lead (pun intended) you to someone who is.
    A SMEC flash module is the way to go as you don't need a burner.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post593977
    Will help get you started
    thanks for the link! Iíll be sure to read through it :-)

    Iím not 100% sure what I have. I know the PO installed a computer from FWDPerformance (stage 1 or stage 2).

    is their stuff flashable?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Oh and Iím decent as soldering. I have also done stuff with Raspberry Pi in the past. Not sure if thatís applicable lol.

  6. #26
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Goshen, New York
    Posts
    71

    Cool Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    Got some more work done last week.







    Gonna to do the roof next in white.



    I still need to clean up the wiring and make it look prettier.



    Now I need to figure out how to repair this broken headliner. Slow progress, but it's getting there.


    ps: Does anyone know if FWD Performance computers are flashable?

  7. #27
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenderbass View Post
    ps: Does anyone know if FWD Performance computers are flashable?
    Not the one I have. Send me a PM and I can send you names of those who can help you create a flashable ECU. If you are handy with electonics, it is not that bad to do it yourself.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...=1#post1154075
    Wayne shows a few pictures of him getting a SMEC ready for a MPFlash module. We have other howto....
    Regards,
    Miles

    DD '87 Sundance T1, 12PSI, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432

  8. #28
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Goshen, New York
    Posts
    71

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    i still want to get some stuff ironed out with the car BEFORE i go crazy and upgrade stuff. but from what i read on Donovan's site (and other places), the mitsubishi turbo has some limitations. i found a deal that was too good to pass up. now i just need some lines.








  9. #29
    Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tuscola, IL
    Posts
    20,404

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    Very cool. You can buy the lines from our vendors or you can make them yourself.


  10. #30
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,425

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    I've been using steel brake line for oil the feed line for about 20 yrs now.

    Inexpensive and reliable!

    Thanks
    Randy


    There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

    Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

  11. #31
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,579

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    I built an 89 Spirit ES a few years ago. Itís owned by another SDAC member now. He drives it all the

    I installed a Spirit R/T radiator fan and intercooler along with a Garrett TII style turbo. I used a Boost Button stage II cal to run it all.

    Koni struts and shocks with Eibach springs on all four corners.

    If your car has high miles and an automatic trans, check the differential bearings. Mine were bad and the trans would leak like crazy.

    The turbo in your photo has a 2.25 inch swing valve. Installing 2.5 inch swing valve will help make a little more power.

  12. #32
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Goshen, New York
    Posts
    71

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    I built an 89 Spirit ES a few years ago. Itís owned by another SDAC member now. He drives it all the

    I installed a Spirit R/T radiator fan and intercooler along with a Garrett TII style turbo. I used a Boost Button stage II cal to run it all.

    Koni struts and shocks with Eibach springs on all four corners.

    If your car has high miles and an automatic trans, check the differential bearings. Mine were bad and the trans would leak like crazy.

    The turbo in your photo has a 2.25 inch swing valve. Installing 2.5 inch swing valve will help make a little more power.

    Great insight, guys. I'll see if i can locate a 2.5 swing valve.
    Would I need to shorten the arm to the swing valve or add a stronger spring to run at 20 pounds of boost on this particular turbo?

  13. #33
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenderbass View Post
    Great insight, guys. I'll see if i can locate a 2.5 swing valve.
    Would I need to shorten the arm to the swing valve or add a stronger spring to run at 20 pounds of boost on this particular turbo?
    You could add a MBC or I would recommend a EBC. I like the HDI Dual Electronic Boost Boost Controller EBC-SE ◊ 1. I have one in both cars as they work very well and inexpensive
    Regards,
    Miles

    DD '87 Sundance T1, 12PSI, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432

  14. #34
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Goshen, New York
    Posts
    71

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    slowly but surely plucking away at the small projects.

    ended up fiber-glassing the headliner back together. now to patch the other size and find some cheap material to wrap around it.



    sanded down the roof earlier this week to get rid of the hideous surface rust. shot some epoxy primer, a little 2k, and then covered it with Majic tractor paint. not exactly a concours type job, but it will do.







    the family and i have been battling a certain type of illness that shall not be named...hoping to feel well enough to tackle springs and struts later this week.

  15. #35
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Goshen, New York
    Posts
    71

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    broke open the computer to see what we are dealing with before i go purchasing things.

    looks like it has already been socketed from FWD Performance. now i need to learn how to burn me some chips.




  16. #36
    Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tuscola, IL
    Posts
    20,404

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    SST27SF512 is your friend. Make sure to buy from a reputable vendor. There are a lot of fakes out there.

  17. #37
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Goshen, New York
    Posts
    71

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    SST27SF512 is your friend. Make sure to buy from a reputable vendor. There are a lot of fakes out there.

    yup i ordered 2 just in case. I think chromguy convinced me to go the flashable route. gonna try that but keep the chips as a back up if something bad happened lol

  18. #38
    Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Raleigh Area, NC
    Posts
    4,608

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    Sorry, been away from checking in here for a while.
    As far as the Slugmobile II tribute, be my guest!
    I first bought my 91 Spirit ES turbo to build a Slugmobile of my own, but mine is a 5spd and always wanted to convert to auto.

    Then Gus went and painted Slug silver. But she is still around, just waiting for her day to get freshened up once again.

    I think it's already been explained but the socketed FWD-P SMEC is not flashable, you need to burn a new chip. The flash modules possibly can be installed onto the socket, but then the components would be too tall and prevent the power board from being installed into the ECU case. Also, you would need to do additional modifications to the logic board to support the flash module.
    So it may be better to start with another SMEC logic board.

    I have a FWD-P stage 5 SMEC, that I want to test with a flash module, so if you can be patient, I might know more later on.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

    '91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.7786@113.04 mph! - Jan 15th, 2017 Fayetteville Dragway, NC)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

  19. #39
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Goshen, New York
    Posts
    71

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Sorry, been away from checking in here for a while.
    As far as the Slugmobile II tribute, be my guest!
    I first bought my 91 Spirit ES turbo to build a Slugmobile of my own, but mine is a 5spd and always wanted to convert to auto.

    Then Gus went and painted Slug silver. But she is still around, just waiting for her day to get freshened up once again.

    I think it's already been explained but the socketed FWD-P SMEC is not flashable, you need to burn a new chip. The flash modules possibly can be installed onto the socket, but then the components would be too tall and prevent the power board from being installed into the ECU case. Also, you would need to do additional modifications to the logic board to support the flash module.
    So it may be better to start with another SMEC logic board.

    I have a FWD-P stage 5 SMEC, that I want to test with a flash module, so if you can be patient, I might know more later on.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    i can totally be patient. i'm just in the "collecting parts" stage as of right now. Thanks Wayne!

  20. #40
    Garrett booster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Goshen, New York
    Posts
    71

    Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

    Got some more work done today. New shocks/struts all around.


    If there is one thing I hate hate hate doing...it's upholstery...just don't have the patience for it (and it makes me itchy). The headliner is not my best work (note the creasing ), but it's also not my worst. The next phase of life for the Spirit will probably involve gutting the interior anyways.



    I couldn't have re-installed the aftermarket sunroof without my helpers :-)



    After finding some play in the mitsu turbo, I decided that it's time to swap it out for a Garrett II. I got all the bolts from the top loosened before dinner. I'll climb under and finish the install later this week.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale 1989 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5 Turbo 5 speed
    By Tim in forum Cars
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 10:47 PM
  2. For Sale 1989 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5 turbo - $650 OBO
    By pyrofenix in forum Cars
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-24-2010, 04:10 PM
  3. For Sale 1989 Turbo Dodge Spirit
    By RJ138 in forum Cars
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 09:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •