Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

The headliner on both of my cars is more floating in the breeze sail than headliner right now.

Garage paint job looks good. For wire management this stuff is the gold standard. It comes at a price but nothing else compares for ease of use, durability and cosmetic appearance if it going to be left exposed.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    The headliner on both of my cars is more floating in the breeze sail than headliner right now.

Garage paint job looks good. For wire management this stuff is the gold standard. It comes at a price but nothing else compares for ease of use, durability and cosmetic appearance if it going to be left exposed.
    nice!!! I値l have to try that stuff out. I知 still waiting on a wideband air/fuel gauge to replace my narrowband gauge. Once I install it, I値l clean up the wiring.

Garrett booster

No longer a Mitsu booster!!!!! Got the old out and got halfway thru the install today.

So i was installing the new lines from FWD performance and noticed that it doesnt come with this part of the oil return (the one for the mitsu doesn't work for it). What is this part called and what car and year can I tell the guy at the Parts Store? Is it just called an Oil Drain Tube?

Thanks in advance,
    Fender

ps: ya i'm taking the head off the next time I swap a turbo lol

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You got it. It's just the oil drain tube. Your best bet is probably the WTB section of the board. I don't think you can get them from the parts store.

Garrett booster

Curiosity question here:
    Is there a reason that the Mitsu turbo had 2 vacuum ports in the compressor side and the Garrett only has one? I won't run into issue only running the one on the Garrett, right?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Do you have functioning cruise control??

Mitsu's with cruise had a clever device within the vacuum harness.

Called a vacuum ejector, it converted boost into vacuum for the cruise.

If you still have your emission decal intact you might see it.

Thanks
    Randy

Quote:

On 1988 and later cars, they added a second vacuum source from the turbo. If you look at your vacuum lines from the cruise servo carefully, you will see a "Y" connection, two check valves, and one line going to the brake booster and the other to a "T" near the airbox. When you are in vacuum, the brake booster is the source. When you are in boost, a line that is connected to the turbo compressor housing is routed to the airbox. Right before it vents into the airbox, it goes through that same "T". If you take that T out and look inside, you will see an aluminum insert. That insert uses the boost from the turbo to generate a venturi in the T. The venturi effect creates a vacuum just behind the end of the aluminum insert, which is where the line from the cruise ties in. So there you go: vacuum made from boost.

I think they added this because the little Mitsu goes into boost so easily that the cruise wouldn't work on the highway.

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Garrett booster

Thanks for the info, Randy! Very interesting stuff.

Sorry about the delay. The new turbo is fully installed with BEAUTIFUL lines from FWD performance. No leaks. Good oil pressure.

With the new turbo, the Spirit feels like a rocket. The only thing now is that she is running freaky-deeky LEAN. I stopped my pull immediately when I saw an 18 flash on my air/fuel ratio gauge (thank God for that gauge). Even at idle or light throttle, I'm seeing 16+. So she is tucked in the garage until I can get more fuel in her.

I definitely need some bigger injectors, but I miiiiiiiight try out a cold start injector with a pressure switch until I get some tuning ability with a flash module (still collecting some misc odds and ends).

Also, does anyone know any tricks to keep the vacuum lines from popping out of the cluster on top of the intake manifold?

Thanks for all the great advice thus far.

I'll be honest and say that I'm very surprised that a TII turbo swapped in place of the mitsu is causing you to run that lean. I would check for a proper functioning fuel pump, and free flowing fuel filter. Something may be amiss. Glad that it's running fast though.

As far as the vacuum lines, I've always used zip ties to keep them in place.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I'll be honest and say that I'm very surprised that a TII turbo swapped in place of the mitsu is causing you to run that lean. I would check for a proper functioning fuel pump, and free flowing fuel filter. Something may be amiss. Glad that it's running fast though.

As far as the vacuum lines, I've always used zip ties to keep them in place.
    Good thoughts. I'm going to go through the fuel system today after work and try cleaning out the injectors too.

Garrett booster

Dang it. I changed the fuel filter and it fixed my lean problem. But during the test drive up a steep hill, the engine died. Now she won稚 start lol. Zero noise coming from Fuel pump when I turn the ignition on. Small noise when the key is switched off. I知 expecting a dead fuel pump.

There isn稚 a weird fuse somewhere that I don稚 know about, right?

First thing to do is run a jumper wire from the + battery terminal to the + side of the coil. If that doesn't energize the fuel pump, check for power at the pump. If you have power, the pump is bad. If you don't then you get to start tracking down the problem. I just checked for someone, and the L body cars do have a 10amp fuse in the car for the FP. It's the only thing fed by that fuse. The FP wire is on the Z1 circuit which does snake through the engine bay to power a few things like the injectors and coil. It also goes through the car on the driver's side, then over to the fuel pump through the floor.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Right on !!

Cruise is my favorite option next to a Turbo and manual boost control.

What Cordes said concerning lean, keep the boost low until its sorted!!

5th injectors and Hobbs switches ruled the world before calibrations.

I use steel brake line for the Turbo oil supply, don't appreciate bling.

Must be due to my age. LOL

Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Fenderbass View Post
    Thanks for the info, Randy! Very interesting stuff.

Sorry about the delay. The new turbo is fully installed with BEAUTIFUL lines from FWD performance. No leaks. Good oil pressure.

With the new turbo, the Spirit feels like a rocket. The only thing now is that she is running freaky-deeky LEAN. I stopped my pull immediately when I saw an 18 flash on my air/fuel ratio gauge (thank God for that gauge). Even at idle or light throttle, I'm seeing 16+. So she is tucked in the garage until I can get more fuel in her.

I definitely need some bigger injectors, but I miiiiiiiight try out a cold start injector with a pressure switch until I get some tuning ability with a flash module (still collecting some misc odds and ends).

Also, does anyone know any tricks to keep the vacuum lines from popping out of the cluster on top of the intake manifold?

Thanks for all the great advice thus far.

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Garrett booster

slapped a new fuel pump and she runs great!!! Air/fuel is right where it needs to be. Idles between 14 and 15. Drops down to 11.* when under boost.

I did order bigger injectors for the next phase of the car. Just want to run it the way it is right now for a couple more weeks just to make sure she is healthy before I add power.

Gosh I love this car.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Sorry, been away from checking in here for a while.
    As far as the Slugmobile II tribute, be my guest!
    I first bought my 91 Spirit ES turbo to build a Slugmobile of my own, but mine is a 5spd and always wanted to convert to auto.

Then Gus went and painted Slug silver. But she is still around, just waiting for her day to get freshened up once again.

I think it's already been explained but the socketed FWD-P SMEC is not flashable, you need to burn a new chip. The flash modules possibly can be installed onto the socket, but then the components would be too tall and prevent the power board from being installed into the ECU case. Also, you would need to do additional modifications to the logic board to support the flash module.
    So it may be better to start with another SMEC logic board.

I have a FWD-P stage 5 SMEC, that I want to test with a flash module, so if you can be patient, I might know more later on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    ah so just to clarify, I値l need to desolder the socket to install the flash module, correct?

also,
    when/where does this sci board come into play?
    https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/7ZjncOAf

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

We have someone about to test out some spacers for the ECU case, so for SMEC you may be able to leave the socket.

Stayed tuned and we should know more soon!

And that SCI board is for making a USB to SCI cable (FTDI) to flash or log with your PC using MPTune or MPScan.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Mitsu booster

[QUOTE=Fenderbass;1155410]ah so just to clarify, I値l need to desolder the socket to install the flash module, correct?

/QUOTE]

Just as a note for safety make sure that IF you do un-solder the chip, or work on ANY part of the module, the melted fumes from the potting materiel are EXTREMELY dangerous. So it outside in you garage with a fan behind your back blowing the fumes away from you. After several of us had reoccurring bronchial problems they finally brought in a HAZMAT person. We used to store the modules in our desk, and the out-gassing of the curing resin was constantly getting us sick. Then when we were soldering/re-working the potted SBEC/SMEC boards, we had to STOP until we got fume extraction hoods installed.

Be safe
    Stuart

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    We have someone about to test out some spacers for the ECU case, so for SMEC you may be able to leave the socket.

Stayed tuned and we should know more soon!

And that SCI board is for making a USB to SCI cable (FTDI) to flash or log with your PC using MPTune or MPScan.
    thanks, Wayne. I致e been loving your YouTube channel btw. I致e been watching you and Cordes stuff when i have downtime between Fam and work.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=stuartshomepc;1155413]
    ah so just to clarify, I値l need to desolder the socket to install the flash module, correct?

/QUOTE]

Just as a note for safety make sure that IF you do un-solder the chip, or work on ANY part of the module, the melted fumes from the potting materiel are EXTREMELY dangerous. So it outside in you garage with a fan behind your back blowing the fumes away from you. After several of us had reoccurring bronchial problems they finally brought in a HAZMAT person. We used to store the modules in our desk, and the out-gassing of the curing resin was constantly getting us sick. Then when we were soldering/re-working the potted SBEC/SMEC boards, we had to STOP until we got fume extraction hoods installed.

Be safe
    Stuart
    good to know. Scary stuff. Thanks for the heads up!

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

[QUOTE=stuartshomepc;1155413]

/QUOTE]

Be safe
    Stuart
    Very Important! and unfortunately can easily be missed when getting into doing this type of board work.

Garrett booster

Alrighty time for an update :-)

So last week, I ordered 65 pph injectors and a fuel pressure regulator. I installed them last night and dialed the fuel pressure based on Donovon's site. The fuel pressure gauge sits on 25# at idle. As boost goes up, the regulator throws more fuel. Under boost, the car reads 11.5 air/fuel. At idle it hovers` around 14.**

Something to note: my car is pegging 20 pounds of boost...it was set to 15 with the Mitsu turbo, and I have made ZERO changes to the computer (also no boost controller). The only change was the Garrett II turbo

That seems a little weird, no???

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Alrighty time for an update :-)

As boost goes up, the regulator throws more fuel. Under boost, the car reads 11.5 air/fuel. At idle it hovers` around 14.**

Something to note: my car is pegging 20 pounds of boost...it was set to 15 with the Mitsu turbo, and I have made ZERO changes to the computer (also no boost controller). The only change was the Garrett II turbo

That seems a little weird, no???
    Nice work! I had to read back to make sure you had an intercooler.

So you're using the computer controlled boost and you are pretty sure it has FWD Performance computer? It can make sense that you're seeing different numbers because the two different turbos/wastegates would ideally use different Wastegate Duty Cycle values. There are WG adaptives that would try to get the boost in line with whatever the programmed goal is, but they can only do so much.

How much do you want to run? Remember, you can always put a full signal to your WG actuator to get minimum boost while you try to sort things out. Then a quick manual boost controller in that line to start raising your boost.

Suggestions if you really want to use computer controlled boost- if FWD-P computer you could contact Cindy for Cal options, seek out any other provider of calibrations, or start working on tuning it yourself. Seems that most don't want the "hassle" of working with the computer controlled boost, but it does work well when it is set up.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast