Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

Garrett booster

Re: 1989 Dodge Spirit 2.5L Turbo Upgrades :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
    Nice work! I had to read back to make sure you had an intercooler.

So you're using the computer controlled boost and you are pretty sure it has FWD Performance computer? It can make sense that you're seeing different numbers because the two different turbos/wastegates would ideally use different Wastegate Duty Cycle values. There are WG adaptives that would try to get the boost in line with whatever the programmed goal is, but they can only do so much.

How much do you want to run? Remember, you can always put a full signal to your WG actuator to get minimum boost while you try to sort things out. Then a quick manual boost controller in that line to start raising your boost.

Suggestions if you really want to use computer controlled boost- if FWD-P computer you could contact Cindy for Cal options, seek out any other provider of calibrations, or start working on tuning it yourself. Seems that most don't want the "hassle" of working with the computer controlled boost, but it does work well when it is set up.
    I gotcha that makes sense! I'll have to reach out to Cindy then.

Ideally the car would stay between 20# and 25# (which it's basically doing now) From my understanding, 25# would be the limit on 93, correct?

I also wonder if the computer is causing other issues...right now she seems to "run out of breathe" at 3700rpm while still being at 20# of boost and 11.5 air/fuel. I figured it was because I was still running the stock airbox. But could the computer we pulling timing or something weird because it wasn't calibrated for the Garrett II?

PS: The Turbo-Dodge lingo is still a little new for me lol. What do you mean when you say, "put a full signal of your Wastegate"? Do you just mean unplug the vacuum?

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Attach a hose to the wastegate from a boost source after the turbo outlet, and before the throttle body.
    Sometimes there's a hose Barb on the discharge of the turbo. Going from there directly to wastegate actuator makes pretty much your minimum boost.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

ah thanks wayne. i may have to do that.

I just got off the phone with Cindy who is super awesome! She mentioned that I have a couple of problems:

1. I need an air temp sensor since I added the intercooler. Seems simple. I just need to get the sensor and add a pin to the SMEC.
    2. My injectors are WAAAAAYYYYYY too big
    ***and the main issue...
    3. The FWD calibration is COMPLETELY off for my current setup (which explains my problems under boost)

She was out of town so I couldn't really tell her my goals, but I will have a longer convo with her on Tuesday to figure out if there is anything they can do.

But either way, it sounds like a need a custom calibration (I knew that going in). It would be easier to figure out if I was playing with a stock SMEC But Cindy seems cool.

If anyone has some Mopar +40s and want to trade, let me know :-)

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You don't need to use smaller injectors. I've seen guys idling with huge injectors on an LM and one would never know. Many don't use the charge temp sensor. You do need a cal that's right for what you have though.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Harry placed the IAT sensor in his intercooler pipe.

Thanks
    Randy

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-8-valve/page2

Quote Originally Posted by Fenderbass View Post
    ah thanks wayne. i may have to do that.

I just got off the phone with Cindy who is super awesome! She mentioned that I have a couple of problems:

1. I need an air temp sensor since I added the intercooler. Seems simple. I just need to get the sensor and add a pin to the SMEC.
    2. My injectors are WAAAAAYYYYYY too big
    ***and the main issue...
    3. The FWD calibration is COMPLETELY off for my current setup (which explains my problems under boost)

She was out of town so I couldn't really tell her my goals, but I will have a longer convo with her on Tuesday to figure out if there is anything they can do.

But either way, it sounds like a need a custom calibration (I knew that going in). It would be easier to figure out if I was playing with a stock SMEC But Cindy seems cool.

If anyone has some Mopar +40s and want to trade, let me know :-)

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You don't need to use smaller injectors. I've seen guys idling with huge injectors on an LM and one would never know. Many don't use the charge temp sensor. You do need a cal that's right for what you have though.
    oh good that makes me feel better. I have had zero drivability issues (at least when it comes to fuel).

but ya something funky is going on with the calibration. Just doesn’t want to accelerate past 3700rpm. But man! The car digs out of the hole!!!

thanks for the link, randy. I’ll do just that!

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Fenderbass View Post
    but ya something funky is going on with the calibration. Just doesn’t want to accelerate past 3700rpm. But man! The car digs out of the hole!!!
    I'm not sure if it's been covered yet but have you already verifyed your cam timing?

Have you started logging? I wouldn't be going outside without trying to know everything that is going on. Even in the old days I kept an OTC 4000 mounted on my dash.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Good point.

Advanced cam timing increases low end and falls flat by or before 4,000 RPM.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
    I'm not sure if it's been covered yet but have you already verifyed your cam timing?

Have you started logging? I wouldn't be going outside without trying to know everything that is going on. Even in the old days I kept an OTC 4000 mounted on my dash.
    Ya I’ll be logging soon. It’s been super tough tracking down a SCI cable. I *might* have one shipped this week if the cable works (Wayne is verifying).

And very good thought about timing. I’ll try to verify where it’s at tomorrow.

If Wayne's doesn't work out I can get one together for you.

Garrett booster

Hey guys. So my electric windows stopped going going up and down. I can hear the motor turning, but nothing is moving. Windows are still on the track, and I'm able to push the glass up or down. Is this a common issue? Easy fix?

Last time this happened to me on a VW Jetta, the plastic gear was stripped.

Yes, common and easy. You can look up *power window motor gear* under interior on RockAuto. Might find them in Stock somewhere with the numbers.

Garrett booster

thanks, dan. Just wanted to confirm before I ordered :-)

Garrett booster

It's been awhile since I gave an update. Between Thanksgiving, a bathroom remodel, ding bodywork on the VW Thing, and preparing for baby #2, it's been tough finding enough time to give the Covid Spirit some love (settled on that name lol).

After having trouble getting my big injectors to work, I installed the stock injectors and burned a stock cal on a chip until I could install the MPFlash module (got sick and tired on tearing apart the SMEC to try each little calibration adjustment to fix my issues ).

The other day, I cowboyed up to tackle the bootstrap/MPFlash part of the project.

Drilled out a hole for the #11 pin I grabbed from the junkyard.

Wired a simple ON/OFF switch with power coming off the cigarette lighter.

Confirmed that I was sending power to Pin #11 for the "bootstrap".

Garrett booster

I then proceeded to solder the MPFlash module into place!

Once I dug through the fun jelly goop, the connections were easily visible (the Zener Diode is on the other side)

After I made the connections, i tested everything before sealing up the work with electronic silicone.

NOTE: Once you are in MPTune, make sure to select MPFlash in the program settings (tripped me up until Wayne pointed it out).

- - - Updated - - -

I was on a roll, so i swapped out the dash lights to match the boost and AFR gauges...it's the little things lol

My little girl always likes to share her "stuffies" with me, so Clifford joined me in the process.

Garrett booster

The reason I chucked the Traveler was to make room for a little Arduino project.

The idea is to recreate the doors ajar display. I still need to figure out how to send a signal to the Arduino from the Traveler harness and trigger a bitmap like this for the trunk. The TFTLCD is taking all the space on the Arduino Uno, so I'll have to upgrade. If anyone is good with Arduino stuff, let me know!

Trunk Open

Then I'll use the extra space for some simple OLEDs for Trans Temp and Oil Temp Pre/After oil cooler.

Just trying to find some cool things/easy things to do indoors during the winter lol.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

cool! i like the arduino stuff. i suck at programming or i would rule the world! lol.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

That is cool!
    Looking forward to seeing your results!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Very nice. Thanks for Sharing!
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That is really cool.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast