Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Code 26- Injector circuit

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Code 26- Injector circuit

Next issue on this '89 Daytona is Code 26, Injector Driver Circuit 1 open or shorted. This in itself does not surprise me, the injector harness on this car is severely oil soaked and heat hardened. The question is, both the Mini Mopar pages and Allpar list this code as not setting the Check Engine light, but the Check Engine light is on. Only codes given are 12, 26, and 55. Should I just address the injector harness and go from there, or is there yet another demon I should be looking out for as well?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Code 26- Injector circuit

The one time I had that code I did the injector harness, but the LM was bad too. I would certainly start with the harness on a SMEC car. I'm actually waiting for a Deutch connector to come in for my 89 Lancer so I can finish off the new injector harness in it.

My expectation is that an injector fault would set the check engine light because it could cause an emissions issue. If memory serves, I had a 91 that was setting an injector fault that turned on the check engine light. In that case I think there was some corrosion on the pins. Unplugging and replugging the ECM connector ultimately fixed the problem...

Do proper diagnostics.... Ohm the harness...

I guess that would make sense triggering an emissions issue, especially on a California car. But I'm not even going to bother testing the harness, I already know it's trash. I've got another complete '89 engine on a stand that already donated its camshaft to this car. If that doesn't fix it, then I'll dig deeper into diagnostics.

The reason to do testing would be to determine if there is a problem in a different area...

In my case, I am pretty sure the car had Federal emissions...

I finally got back around to working on this issue. As I said before, the injector harness is incredibly oil soaked and brittle. The wire insulation for the knock sensor was completely melted to the adjacent wires. Here's a few pics . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200823_222621.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	65059

Ground wires snapped like twigs just from trying to straighten them out.

Name:	KIMG0164.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	695.9 KB 
ID:	65060

This wouldn't cause a problem would it?

So I ordered new connectors and built an all new harness. The spade terminals I got from Clips & Fasteners, and Jon Trotter directed me to a place to get the factory correct injector clips and boots.

Name:	IMG_20200823_180135.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	65058

This would go a lot faster if I had the correct tool to do factory style crimps, but I've managed to make do with the tools I have.

Name:	KIMG0172.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	793.5 KB 
ID:	65061

I soldered and shrink wrapped the spade terminals for good measure.

Name:	KIMG0173.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	786.5 KB 
ID:	65062

Now I just need to find a nicer pigtail for the knock sensor before I wrap it all up. I should have it back on the car tonight, and then I can determine if there's other issues upstream.

Nice. Are those the bigger 1/4" spade terminals, or did you find the proper smaller ones?

1/4", identical to what came out of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    1/4", identical to what came out of the car.
    Dang. Do you have a PN for those? I wanted to do the same thing you did, but I couldn't find the connector for the proper gauge wire and I went with a Deutsch connector instead.

The number on the box is 16349; it was about $12 I think for a box of 25 from Clips & Fasteners. The box does say for 16-18 gauge wire; the FSM shows 16 gauge wire for the harness. I will say the two pairs of white wire* were a pain to crimp in there.

Injectors 1 & 2 were white with a black stripe; 3 & 4 used tan wire. I was unable to find tan wire locally, but close enough.

Tonight I finished assembling the harness and re-assembled the rail.

Attachment 65064

Attachment 65065

I need to pick up some more 5/16" fuel hose tomorrow, reassemble the vacuum harness, and see if the car will actually run better.

Attachment 65064

Attachment 65065

I need to pick up some more 5/16" fuel hose tomorrow, reassemble the vacuum harness, and see if the car will actually run better.
    Thanks a ton for the tip on the connectors. I'm not sure what you're paying per foot on the EFI hose in 5/16", but locally, I can't get it for cheaper than about $9/foot these days. I found some Continental hose on Amazon for about $3/foot. The catch was that I had to buy 25ft worth. It's time to change out the lines on a few of my cars though, so just that will pay for itself.

Wow, prices must have gone up. I'm at school right now, I'm hoping I can get it at the parts store so I don't have to make an extra stop on the way home. I'll see what they say.

School parts store didn't have any, but the local Napa had it for $4.50 a foot. They didn't have the hose clamps though, but I think I still have a few at home.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

I had to do the same on my engine, but having a 2 piece intake made it even more fun. Nice thing, Bosch injector plugs are extremely common, the issue I had was no good source for the rubber boots on the plugs. I cheated, I have a container full of Ford and GM Bosch injector plugs that do not use boots, they use a rubber seal in the plug that the wires go through, Since I needed to rewire anyway going to an SBEC from LM/PM I just grabbed 4 of the shorter ones. Here's what the original looked like:

I'll have to see if I have a good finished picture of the harness, it is almost hidden under everything on the 2 piece intake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1936.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	535.0 KB 
ID:	65066  

I think Bosch now offers the same style connector and boot which came on our cars. I got some different ones since I wasn't rebuilding the stock connector and I wasn't worried about originality at that point. IIRC, they were about $10 each.

Okay, injector harness works nicely. Along with freshly cleaned and flow tested injectors and new fuel hose, the car idles nicely, has great fuel pressure, and revs much better than before (originally the cam timing was a few teeth off). No more codes except the usual 12 and 55.

But now the AC clutch randomly kicks on and off every few seconds for no apparent reason, which also kicks the cooling fan on and off.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Attachment 65064

Attachment 65065

Quote Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
    I had to do the same on my engine, but having a 2 piece intake made it even more fun. Nice thing, Bosch injector plugs are extremely common, the issue I had was no good source for the rubber boots on the plugs. I cheated, I have a container full of Ford and GM Bosch injector plugs that do not use boots, they use a rubber seal in the plug that the wires go through, Since I needed to rewire anyway going to an SBEC from LM/PM I just grabbed 4 of the shorter ones. Here's what the original looked like:

I'll have to see if I have a good finished picture of the harness, it is almost hidden under everything on the 2 piece intake.
    Okay, injector harness works nicely. Along with freshly cleaned and flow tested injectors and new fuel hose, the car idles nicely, has great fuel pressure, and revs much better than before (originally the cam timing was a few teeth off). No more codes except the usual 12 and 55.

But now the AC clutch randomly kicks on and off every few seconds for no apparent reason, which also kicks the cooling fan on and off.
    With the A/C off?
    Or do you mean it short cycles when you are running the A/C?
    Any chance while it has been down you had a slow leak and not noticed?

If you have A/C gauges, see what the suction pressure is doing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

AC didn't work when we bought it; it needs charged. It has been converted to 134 and has newer Dayco hoses. Playing with the controls had no effect, same thing happens whether on or off, with or without the AC button pressed. My goal tomorrow is to just unplug the compressor for now, and get the car on the road to bed the brakes and make sure the cooling fan comes on when the engine reaches temp.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Wow, that is odd.
    Don't know how it is cycling the a/c clutch circuit without the a/c even on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast