Thread: Omni GLH Suspension Parts

Mitsu booster

Omni GLH Suspension Parts

Hello,

I'm looking for stock GLH parts, new or used. Coil springs, shocks or struts. Even possibly aftermarket GLH-specific parts (KYB Gas-A-Just etc..). I just prefer not to go down the Mark 1 Rabbit route.

Location: Troy, NY (I doubt anyone is local, so if you are willing to ship, I'd really appreciate it)

Thank you!
    James

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Omni GLH Suspension Parts

James, have you checked out Rockauto.com yet? They're a site sponsor with pretty cheap prices on suspension parts.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    James, have you checked out Rockauto.com yet? They're a site sponsor with pretty cheap prices on suspension parts.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ion,strut,7584

Shocks are out. Struts are on clearance.

Mitsu booster

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestion. I've ordered plenty from Rockauto, but unfortunately they don't have anything specific to the GLH. The shocks I see are mostly base omni replacement parts. I also needs GLH coils, which aren't available anymore. If it comes to it, I am hoping to have them custom made, but none of the coil spring manufacturers have the specs. So if someone on the forums had a pair they would sell, I could get measurements off of them.

I've also heard iffy things about the GR-2 series. A PO seems to have replaced shocks and springs with MK1 Rabbit parts. I want to go back to stock.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for the suggestion. I've ordered plenty from Rockauto, but unfortunately they don't have anything specific to the GLH. The shocks I see are mostly base omni replacement parts. I also needs GLH coils, which aren't available anymore. If it comes to it, I am hoping to have them custom made, but none of the coil spring manufacturers have the specs. So if someone on the forums had a pair they would sell, I could get measurements off of them.

I've also heard iffy things about the GR-2 series. A PO seems to have replaced shocks and springs with MK1 Rabbit parts. I want to go back to stock.
    You'll have better luck on facebook, there is more traffic.

I throw mine 30 year old strut/shocks/springs away and installed Koni on the car and never looked back.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I’ve had Konis and GR-2’s on my GLH Turbos. GR-2 is fine with stock springs. Konis are the way to go if you find a set of LRE springs. GR-2’s don’t dampen LRE’s well. I had two sets of NOS rear Gas-adjusts struts. It took two years to sell them, I should have waited

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve had Konis and GR-2’s on my GLH Turbos. GR-2 is fine with stock springs. Konis are the way to go if you find a set of LRE springs. GR-2’s don’t dampen LRE’s well. I had two sets of NOS rear Gas-adjusts struts. It took two years to sell them, I should have waited. I have a full set of new Gas adjusts for sale. The hot thing now is could overs from FWD or R Bryant.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Rich Bryant's stuff is certainly the way to go. I would put on some later knuckles with big brakes, a 24mm MC, and Rich's coilover kit. It would be amazing.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the input guys. I've done a ton of reading on this the past 2 months. Unfortunately, I just can't swing the $1k+ for the Konis or Rich Bryant's setup. They're both awesome and definitely a goal for the car in the future, but the car needs a lot more work before getting to that point. That's why I decided I wanted to try to convert it to stock if anyone happens to have some old parts laying around. I was also thinking of converting to the Galant AGX coilover setup, but I don't like that the piston travel length is different from stock. I posted on the FB parts group a few days ago, with no luck. I might try one of the other groups. Thanks everyone!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I have a full set of springs, mounts, whole shebang from a stalled GLHS project. They're Monroe Sensa-trac struts and shocks, stock GLHS springs, Polybushings rear strut isolators. I *think* the front bearing plates are also new, but I need to verify that. Everything is assembled and ready to bolt on; I assembled everything nearly a decade ago, but the car has never been off the jack stands. I have since purchased LRE springs and factory Konis, so I'm willing to let this stuff go.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I have a full set of springs, mounts, whole shebang from a stalled GLHS project. They're Monroe Sensa-trac struts and shocks, stock GLHS springs, Polybushings rear strut isolators. I *think* the front bearing plates are also new, but I need to verify that. Everything is assembled and ready to bolt on; I assembled everything nearly a decade ago, but the car has never been off the jack stands. I have since purchased LRE springs and factory Konis, so I'm willing to let this stuff go.
    Wow, sounds awesome! Thanks for the response. I PM-ed you.