Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turn signals not working

Garrett booster

turn signals not working

My turn signals not working on my 92 daytona,I have looked at the fuses none are poped,I have back up lights, parking lights and brake lights but not turn signals, I was thinking a bad wire or ground or the switch but the high beams work any idea`s ?

Garrett booster

Re: turn signals not working

I just changed the turn signal flasher relay and still nothing, Any way to test them ??

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would start with the bulbs and sockets, then work from the turn signal forward. If you're not getting voltage at the sockets, I would find the earliest point in the system to test the switch and move down the line if it is indeed putting out voltage.

Garrett booster

I found the problem,it was the connector on the switch it was loose i reflowed the solder and there working now, only thing now is the left blinks at nomal pace but the right one blinks like it`s on crack, I was thinking it was the flasher relay any input would be useful...

turbo addict

right one blinks like it`s on crack

start with a bulb check.. usually the side with a burnt out bulb blinks faster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    right one blinks like it`s on crack

start with a bulb check.. usually the side with a burnt out bulb blinks faster
    On newer cars, that's the case. On our cars, when a bulb is burnt out it won't blink.

Garrett booster

Yes it was a bulb on the passenger side back tail light. I had another question now ... my speedo does not work i swapped it out and checked the fuses and it still does nothing, I did not know if you could test the connection at the transmission if it would be ohm`s or voltage ? any idea`s would be helpful
    Last edited by mrchuck; 07-26-2020 at 04:24 PM.

You can pull the codes to see if you have a faulty speed sensor. You can check the sensor itself with an ohm meter. If my memory serves, it should show continuity 8 times per revolution.

Garrett booster

How do you pull the codes, the key dance ?

turbo addict

yes sir

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mrchuck View Post
    How do you pull the codes, the key dance ?
    http://minimopar.net/fault/index.html is a good easy reference
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Garrett booster

I did the key dance and got 12 & 55 is there any other way to test the speedo ? I seen the gears are a common problem but with my speedo the odometer does not work either, from what i can tell everything else works. I have swapped the speed sensor too with no luck.

Garrett booster

I think i figured out why my speedo & odometer dont work.....the 20 & 16 teeth blue gears were broke.

I think i figured out why my speedo & odometer dont work.....the 20 & 16 teeth blue gears were broke.
    Odometergears.com

Yes it was a bulb on the passenger side back tail light. I had another question now ... my speedo does not work i swapped it out and checked the fuses and it still does nothing, I did not know if you could test the connection at the transmission if it would be ohm`s or voltage ? any idea`s would be helpful
    Depends on what vintage speed distance sensor you have. 2-wire or 3-wire. 2-wire, pull the sensor and check ohms between the two terminals as you rotate the shaft. Should be 8 zero ohm pulses per revolution.

The 3-wire sensors are Hall-effect. You need to apply 12v and ground. Then you can look for zero ohm pulses.

I presume this is the gear on the sensor. Very odd for it to be broken. I don't think I have seen or heard of that... Pictures? Any idea what caused it?

Should be able to find a replacement on ebay, but make sure you know why it failed...

Garrett booster

It`s a 2 pin vss, I tested the continuity on Circuit C7, VSS WT/OR Wire to Instrument Cluster WT/OR Wire located at the Instrument Cluster R/S 14 Pin Connector Cavity 5 and i have continuity. Then i tested cavity 5 to top terminal of the disconnected speedo connector and i have continuity.Then i disconnected the speedometer connector at the rear/center of the cluster circuit board, the two 14 pin cluster connectors stay plugged in and with the key on probe the ignition and ground terminals of the speedometer connector, and i got battery voltage, I think the speedo is bad ,but the gears that i speak of are from the inside of the speedo not on the sensor. I do have continuity & battery voltage to the 3 pin connector on the speedo. I have this posted to Turbo Dodge too and i was getting help from NAJ overthere.

https://www.turbododge.com/threads/turn-signals-not-working.1256080/#post-4523340

-

Garrett booster

I went to a u pull it got a speedo cluster out of a 94 lebaron and my speedo still don`t work. When i took it apart to inspect it i noticed on the bottom left corner of the speedo it says Denso and the inside of the speedo is totally different.... maybe a better model ?

Don't the signal come from the computer? I didn't think the speed sensor sent the signal straight to the cluster also, but I don't have my diagrams in front of me.

Garrett booster

I dunno, I have been chatting with NAJ on Dodge Turbo fourm and this is part of what he sent me

It appears that the speed signal comes from the VSS on the OR/WT wire to the instrument cluster R/S connector cavity 5 and then runs through the PCB to the speedometer connector top terminal.

I have tested the
    OR/WT from the VSS to the back of the speedo 3 prong connector and i do have continuity. I also tested the the 3 prong connector for voltage and i have 12.06 ,I have also did the key dance and got no code for the VSS, I dunno what the trouble is.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

The VSS is nothing more than a pulse to ground magnetic reed switch. If you are not getting a code for failure then it is functioning or should be. If the odometer gears in the speedometer head are stripped there is a source for them:
    https://www.odometergears.com/ They are located in Newport News VA. The speedometer itself should be an electric meter (volts most likely) driven by a circuit board that converts pulses to a specific speed reading. Since you have a 92 Daytona it is similar to the 1989 Lebaron coupe instrument cluster I have to use in my 1986 Lebaron by installing the entire dash.

One item I ran into on that is the pins for the connectors from the dash harness to the cluster are simply staked in place, in my case 31 years ago, in yours, 28 years ago. They get slightly corroded over the years. I used my soldering gun after wire brushing the staked pins and then flowed solder into the staked areas and the circuit board strips. So far in testing, the speedometer and rebuilt odometer are very stable.

You could try removing the speedometer and providing 12V across the power and ground then using a known good VSS see if it will respond. If it does, then you know the problem is probably in the circuit board of the cluster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast