Thread: Underhood Surge Tank

Mitsu booster

Underhood Surge Tank

So lets start this dumpster fire...

What is your opinion of building a surge tank to live under the hood, probably in the passenger corner above/behind the charcoal canister?

My thought is feed the surge tank with the Walbro 255 that is already in the my Omni’s tank. And then put a 450 in the surge tank. I will also be running 3/8” SS hardline up and back from the main tank, so the 255 will have an easy life.

This should make adapting big pumps for E85 easymode. It will cut down on the linear footage of real high pressure fuel. My only concern is heatsoaking the fuel... im not thinking fire hazard will really be that much greater. Worst case is you wreck in the most perfect of ways and rupture the surge tank.

Lets talk it out!
    Mark B

turbo addict

Re: Underhood Surge Tank

Been done...

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

There are a few people that run their fuel cell in the front of the car, some even in front of the radiator support.
    Think of gassers that have the tank all the way in front of the car
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I'm building a new fuel system that incorporates a surge thank, but it will be placed in the rear of the car.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Mitsu booster

Reaper, are you talking “been done” in our community or “been done” in the rest of the world. Your response leaves a lot up to interpretation.

Shmedly, you raise a good point about duel cells up front. For some reason i wasn’t thinking about a surge tank effectively being the same thing as a fuel cell... but it is... hmmm. That does open the door to shopping for fuel cells as well to fill the same duty.

Contraption, ya i saw a couple of your posts when i was searching for surge tanks. Have you moved forward on specific design yet?

thanks guys ~Mark

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goforthz28 View Post

Contraption, ya i saw a couple of your posts when i was searching for surge tanks. Have you moved forward on specific design yet?

thanks guys ~Mark
    I have started moving forward as money allows. I need to buy the pump to get the rest of the layout. The tank I got is meant for vertical installation, but I may need to put it at a 30-45 degree angle for clearance. I am mounting it in the spare tire well and trying to keep the floor flat above it for cargo. My general plan is to keep my existing Aeromotive 340 as an in-tank "lift-pump" and use an AEM "044" style in the surge tank.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

So lets start this dumpster fire...

What is your opinion of building a surge tank to live under the hood, probably in the passenger corner above/behind the charcoal canister?

My thought is feed the surge tank with the Walbro 255 that is already in the my Omni’s tank. And then put a 450 in the surge tank. I will also be running 3/8” SS hardline up and back from the main tank, so the 255 will have an easy life.

This should make adapting big pumps for E85 easymode. It will cut down on the linear footage of real high pressure fuel. My only concern is heatsoaking the fuel... im not thinking fire hazard will really be that much greater. Worst case is you wreck in the most perfect of ways and rupture the surge tank.

Lets talk it out!
    Mark B
    Race car, or street car? Let gravity help.......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spearco intercooler group 062.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	65013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spearco intercooler group 035.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	65014
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    Race car, or street car? Let gravity help.......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spearco intercooler group 062.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	65013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spearco intercooler group 035.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	65014
    Every custom piece that bolts to your car is a piece of art.

turbo addict

Reaper, are you talking “been done” in our community or “been done” in the rest of the world. Your response leaves a lot up to interpretation.

Shmedly, you raise a good point about duel cells up front. For some reason i wasn’t thinking about a surge tank effectively being the same thing as a fuel cell... but it is... hmmm. That does open the door to shopping for fuel cells as well to fill the same duty.

thanks guys ~Mark
    I was talking about both in and out of this particular community. I think the first 2 cars I saw set up with a front fuel/surge tank were Gary Donovan's K-car and Stephan's Charger. There's been many since then. BTW, I wasn't trying to be snarky, just quick as I kinda figured it was just a "has it been done" question and not "how do I do it" question.