Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neon SRT4 front brakes on a 91 Spirit RT

Re: Neon SRT4 front brakes on a 91 Spirit RT

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    There's an adapter for Viper brakes on SRT/PT knuckles? Paging Jon Trotter, paging Jon Trotter. I've been toying with the notion of making a bracket to adapt them to our knuckles, but that seems like more trouble than it's worth for me. I would like to do a CF hood for my cars, and that'll drop a lot of weight out of the car. Do a CF hatch, and there goes a ton more. That's certainly enough to affect braking needs and balance for sure.
    Haha I just saw this. Would love a brake upgrade, last time I ran 125 at the end of the track and ran out of pedal over a 10 minute session. I'd love more options too for pads since I'm running the Daytona brakes that Hawk DOESN'T make pads for. Something to adapt a larger caliper would be nice, but if I have to go to larger rotors, so be it.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    Decided to pick up a pair of SRT4 spindles and give this a go. According to Wilwood their set up will work with a 15 inch wheel which will allow me to run my 16 inch Pumpers
    Usually the issue with brake clearance on SRT-4's isn't the diameter of the wheel, it is how far the caliper sticks out beyond the hub surface. If the Wilwood caliper sticks out as much as the OE SRT-4 caliper, the pumper won't fit. And why would you want to upgrade the brakes to use those skinny, heavy wheels anyway?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Usually the issue with brake clearance on SRT-4's isn't the diameter of the wheel, it is how far the caliper sticks out beyond the hub surface. If the Wilwood caliper sticks out as much as the OE SRT-4 caliper, the pumper won't fit. And why would you want to upgrade the brakes to use those skinny, heavy wheels anyway?
    RPF1s or bust if going with bigger than 11" brakes in my opinion.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Haha I just saw this. Would love a brake upgrade, last time I ran 125 at the end of the track and ran out of pedal over a 10 minute session. I'd love more options too for pads since I'm running the Daytona brakes that Hawk DOESN'T make pads for. Something to adapt a larger caliper would be nice, but if I have to go to larger rotors, so be it.
    They won't re-puck backing plates? I know Carbotech and Porterfield both do.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I love the way the Pumpers look and I'm going for the sleeper look.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Porterfield will make pads for any plate you want, in any compound you want. Also, make sure your're using really good fluid and change it often.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Will the master cylinder handle the bigger brakes. Is there a upgrade master cylinder we can use?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by karlak View Post
    Will the master cylinder handle the bigger brakes. Is there a upgrade master cylinder we can use?
    It should, and if not, yes, the older Dodge D150 master cylinder can be made to work if more volume is needed, but it will require higher pedal pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    It should, and if not, yes, the older Dodge D150 master cylinder can be made to work if more volume is needed, but it will require higher pedal pressure.
    I would think that a very large increase in bore volume would be necessary to make the D150 MC livable. It was horrific on my Omni with 11" brakes in the rear and caravan brakes in the front. None the less, I think it might be a great upgrade for someone thinking of Viper or Hellcat brakes.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I would think that a very large increase in bore volume would be necessary to make the D150 MC livable. It was horrific on my Omni with 11" brakes in the rear and caravan brakes in the front. None the less, I think it might be a great upgrade for someone thinking of Viper or Hellcat brakes.
    I have never actually known anyone to use the D150 MC in real life. It was supposedly something used in endurance racing and such and I believe Ed Peters is the main proponent of it.

I am curious what exactly your experience was. Obviously not good, but how bad was the pedal pressure, travel, touchiness, etc etc etc....??

The travel was almost nonexistent, maybe 2-3" to get the rears locked up in anything but the best weather. It wasn't very touchy, but that was probably because I needed to absolutely stand on the pedal to get that travel. The pedal pressure combined with the fact that the rears constantly wanted to lock up when cold or wet was horrible. I'm guessing that if I had the 11" brakes on the front rather than the minivan brakes, it would have made enough difference that I probably could have lived with the pressure and travel. However, the rear end was so light for the 11" brakes that I would have needed to downsize and that would probably have left me chasing my tail.

Back to the Viper brakes. It looks like they used Brembo 44/40 calipers which had two 44mm and two 40mm pots. You can look up the volume in CCs and it's substantial. I'm not sure what the 60mm bores hold in our 11" calipers, but I'm guessing it to be significantly less. Enter the D150 MC again...

turbo addict

So, actually with some quick, dirty math that's not actually the case.

One advantage to fixed calipers with multiple pistons is that the pistons don't have to move as much to exert their force. I took an educated guess and said that the 4-pot calipers would require .5cm of piston movement on each piston to get the pads to start working. This yeilds 27.76cc.

Repeat this for a single piston 60mm caliper that requires 1cm of piston travel and the volume is 28.27cc.

This is why Mike Stimac was able to use the 11" MC to run his Viper brakes and solid rear discs setup.
    Last edited by Reaper1; 07-13-2020 at 04:41 PM. Reason: I used the wrong numbers and units! DOH! Shame on me!

Thanks for running the numbers for me. It didn't occur to me that fixed calipers would make that much of a difference. I'll have to research more so I can really visualize it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12