Thread: Mpscan - lm

Mitsu booster

Mpscan - lm

Hi All - I have a 1985 GLH Turbo that I recently converted to a GLHS T2 setup. I wanted to give MPSCAN a whirl so I bought a SCI cable from Meyer Tuned, installed MPSCAN on my Win10 laptop, installed all the necessary software and drivers. Ran the FT Prog program and made sure all the settings were correct with the cable per the outlined instructions on this forum.

All of the drivers load properly (USB Bus controller, COM port, VCP loaded, etc) and when I launch MPSCAN I can see in the bottom left side of the screen the correct COM port listed (FTDI USB Port Settings:COM10:976/7812). Under COM settings, I have the LM protocol selected and COM10 selected. To test my connection to the ECU, I clicked on Sensor Diagnostics, Connect to ECU, and with the key in the on position, I select "Battery Volts" and Start Test. I get nothing back. With the car running I get the same behavior. Once you click Start Test, is tries for about 1 sec, the test stops, and the sensor value is blank.

What other tests should I run troubleshoot this? I am running MPSCAN version 2.0.5.2.

Appreciate the help

Mike

Mitsu booster

Re: Mpscan - lm

Finally getting back to this and I am still having issues. Any suggestions?

Garrett booster

Instead of the Sensor Diagnostics, try creating a profile and layout with just a few gages like RPM and MAP and see if it records data while the engine is running.

Mitsu booster

I did try that and it did not work, or should I say I got flakey results. I have a basic profile and layout configured. I only have a RPM, Battery Volts, MapV, and TPSV in my gauge display. Once I have everything in MPTUNE configured properly (correct COM port, VCP loaded, inverted tx/rx, etc) I launch the program, hook up the cable to the diag port, start the car, and click record. I don't get any feedback on the RPM gauge at all and sometimes the other gauges will flash for a second but that is it. I am starting to think I might have a faulty SCI cable or there is something wrong with the diag port in my car.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Just a quick question, is the cable 100% FTDI. As I understand MPScan requires a 100% real FTDI chip. I have also received odd behavior with a clone FTDI but I have not retested with a real FTDI. It is on my list
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Mitsu booster

I "believe" it is. I got it from Meyer Tuned but I think I should probably get a known working cable to rule it out. Where is the best place to get one?

Garrett booster

Meyer is a good place to get the cable. Talk to Brad at Meyer and ask if he has any cable diagnostic routines or software you could try.
    These cables can be flakey. (This is why I carry a known good cable to meets and SDAC - I've seen many logging issues due to bad cables.) LMs can be flakey too; the other thing you could try is a spare LM if you have any other drivability issues.

Jeff

Mitsu booster

Thanks Jeff. I actually did try another LM and it experienced the same behavior. I will reach out to Brad and ask him about some diag routines. Thanks for chiming in. I will update the post with my findings.