Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Help identifying block please

  1. #1

    Help identifying block please

    Hi All, I've got a longblock from way back in the day and I don't have a clue how I came to own it, or what it is...lol My charger developed a serious blow-by issue a couple days ago, and I'm looking at options. Wanted to determine if this motor was worth investing into or if it were better to try to repair my 85 TI (converted to TII).

    So far I think it is a common block since it has the thick webbing around the oil pan, but that is about all I know.

    imgur album here:
    https://imgur.com/a/b0XbWU0

    Thanks!

    Edit: also wondering if this is 2.2 vs 2.5, if it was supposed to have balance shafts, etc if anyone has any input.

  2. #2
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor tryingbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    7,274

    Re: Help identifying block please

    Round tooth timing gear = 89+
    Oil drain = turbo block
    Flat bottom oil pan = have balance shaft = 2.5L or 90+ 2.2 TIV or TIII
    BUT, I don't see the block has the balance shaft oil feed or balance shaft mounting bolt holes. I don't see the gear on the crank.
    https://www.turbododge.com/threads/o.../#post-3117306
    Oil pick up is a 2.2 with no balance shaft.

    So, all that means you have a 2.2L turbo block with a 2.5L oil pan on it.

    You should find a 2.2L oil pan or use a 2.5L balance shaft oil pickup.


    http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_camshaft.html
    http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_shortblock.html
    Last edited by tryingbe; 05-14-2020 at 03:47 PM.
    Tailgate at your own risk.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,425

    Re: Help identifying block please

    Nice Engine !!

    1989 2.2 T with 2.5 oil pan.

    Very likely a T-II as no 2.2 T-I in 89

    Pic of the crank parting line could confirm.


    Thanks
    Randy

    PS: Perfect candidate for an inexpensive overhaul if not bad inside.


    There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

    Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

  4. #4

    Re: Help identifying block please

    Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Nice Engine !!

    1989 2.2 T with 2.5 oil pan.

    Very likely a T-II as no 2.2 T-I in 89

    Pic of the crank parting line could confirm.


    Thanks
    Randy

    PS: Perfect candidate for an inexpensive overhaul if not bad inside.
    When you say pic of crank parting line, what are you saying? Pics of the main caps pulled off?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Round tooth timing gear = 89+
    Oil drain = turbo block
    Flat bottom oil pan = have balance shaft = 2.5L or 90+ 2.2 TIV or TIII
    BUT, I don't see the block has the balance shaft oil feed or balance shaft mounting bolt holes. I don't see the gear on the crank.
    https://www.turbododge.com/threads/o.../#post-3117306
    Oil pick up is a 2.2 with no balance shaft.

    So, all that means you have a 2.2L turbo block with a 2.5L oil pan on it.

    You should find a 2.2L oil pan or use a 2.5L balance shaft oil pickup.


    http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_camshaft.html
    http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_shortblock.html
    Thank you!

  5. #5
    Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,425

    Re: Help identifying block please

    No, just rotate the crank 90 deg and take some more pics.

    With 2 rod journals pointing up TDC and 2 pointing down BDC

    The part of the crank on each side of the rod journals is where the parting line is.

    Cast has a very thin parting line and forged has a wider, flat parting line.

    You'll probably know it when you see it


    Thanks
    Randy

    Quote Originally Posted by vxvxAndrewxvxv View Post
    When you say pic of crank parting line, what are you saying? Pics of the main caps pulled off?

    - - - Updated - - -



    Thank you!


    There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

    Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Similar Threads

  1. Common block identifying?????
    By HybridCuda in forum Engine - Block, Piston, Heads, Intakes
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-08-2012, 11:12 PM
  2. Need help identifying SMEC
    By Turbo224 in forum Electrical & Fuel System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 06:58 PM
  3. Identifying non-CB crankshafts?
    By SlowShelby in forum Engine - Block, Piston, Heads, Intakes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 10:33 PM
  4. Identifying tranny's with no tag?!
    By 1984rampage in forum Transmission
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 05:54 PM
  5. Identifying an 88 TBI Cam?
    By altered7151 in forum Engine - Block, Piston, Heads, Intakes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 01:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •