Thread: Brake fluid for track use

Garrett booster

Brake fluid for track use

Ok.... so I’ve got most of the parts assembled for the 11 inch swap on my 84 Laser XE. What Hi Temp brake Fluid is everyone using? Put Motul 600 in the wife’s Miata that she does track days in but the laser is heavier and I expect higher brake temps. Just wondering what people who track their cars use. Also front rotors, solid? Or dimpled?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Brake fluid for track use

You may find this link of interest.

https://www.lelandwest.com/brake-flu...ison-chart.cfm

In my CSX I have run the following brake fluid
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had no problems the last time I did a track day as a result of brakes. The pedal never lost any feel, and the pads performed well too. I have 11" brakes all the way around on that car with drilled rotors on it and Hawk pads for the front. I have had very good success with the 11" brakes in the front of cars and find that solid rotors do just as well for me. I think most of our lighter cars don't have the weight to make the 11" brakes strain if they're properly maintained.

IIRC, Team Shelby used 11" brakes and had great success with them during endurance events. I seem to recall they were able to make up a lot of time when they swapped over to them because they only needed to change them once a race or something along those lines.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I like to use this.
    https://store.vacmotorsports.com/ate...-1l-p1793.aspx

Also do not forget to use use a track-focused pad.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I miss the blue fluid, alternating between the blue and amber made it really easy to know when all the old fluid was out when flushing the brake lines.
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Brake fluid for track use

Quote Originally Posted by csxtra View Post
    I miss the blue fluid, alternating between the blue and amber made it really easy to know when all the old fluid was out when flushing the brake lines.
    I totally agree. You can still get it, just not in the US lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Just as an FYI, Tirerack had a good deal on the Type 200 fluid. It was $17.xx with free shipping if you picked up over $50 worth.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You may find this link of interest.

https://www.lelandwest.com/brake-flu...ison-chart.cfm

In my CSX I have run the following brake fluid
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had no problems the last time I did a track day as a result of brakes. The pedal never lost any feel, and the pads performed well too. I have 11" brakes all the way around on that car with drilled rotors on it and Hawk pads for the front. I have had very good success with the 11" brakes in the front of cars and find that solid rotors do just as well for me. I think most of our lighter cars don't have the weight to make the 11" brakes strain if they're properly maintained.

IIRC, Team Shelby used 11" brakes and had great success with them during endurance events. I seem to recall they were able to make up a lot of time when they swapped over to them because they only needed to change them once a race or something along those lines.
    I'm using this as well. I'd say it worked well, but I had brake fade at high speeds during a road course event after some time (< 10 minutes). I am still running the stock MC with larger brakes, so I can't fault the fluid just yet and my turbo sits right next to the MC.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize you were using the smaller MC still. I bet you were using all the pedal travel you had when the brakes got soft on you.

I know I need to replace it, but I heard guys locking up the rears, so I would need to put in either a different proportioning valve or a manual one to set it so that doesn't happen. I mean I think the rear brakes I have on the car are the same size as the standard rear swapped brakes, probably?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I know I need to replace it, but I heard guys locking up the rears, so I would need to put in either a different proportioning valve or a manual one to set it so that doesn't happen. I mean I think the rear brakes I have on the car are the same size as the standard rear swapped brakes, probably?
    That's a good question. Put on some Viper brakes and you won't have to worry about locking the rears up any longer if I had to guess. That would be way more front bias from my wild guess.