Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: AC How To?

turbo addict

Re: AC How To?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    A/C hoses use a different core liner if I am not mistaken. Aeroquip I know makes the specific hose, I want to say Earl's is another one?

AC hose has a pattern of micro holes in it
    this often causes leaks when old

but the micro holes are there for a reason as I believe it's like having a release valve in the system if the pressure is way to high

this is how the ac hoses are specialized to suit the purpose

turbo addict

Usually compressors have a blow off valve if pressure gets too high. Not sure on our cars.

turbo addict

especially our cars used the hoses with the little holes...the big fat rubber hoses are the ones I'm referring to ..not the smaller "braided" looking ones
    it'S THE main reason most ac systems in our cars have no charge

on really old hoses that have blead out the holes are sometimes visible .. in a neat row along the length of the hose

early to mid 90's I was finding most cars already lost their charge .. mine anyway

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    especially our cars used the hoses with the little holes...the big fat rubber hoses are the ones I'm referring to ..not the smaller "braided" looking ones
    it'S THE main reason most ac systems in our cars have no charge

on really old hoses that have blead out the holes are sometimes visible .. in a neat row along the length of the hose

early to mid 90's I was finding most cars already lost their charge .. mine anyway
    I want to say it's my '89 TC that would seep the Ester oil through the hose. So, I'd wipe the hoses off while detailing, then a while later there's little drops of oil. I knew what was up, just never mucked with it.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Tell me about this hose crimper of which you speak. I'm intrigued.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mastercool-71.../dp/B000WBQ4U2

i found a used one that I guy used once to make a hose for a GM F body. i got it for 100$ shipped on ebay. i snatched it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I want to say it's my '89 TC that would seep the Ester oil through the hose. So, I'd wipe the hoses off while detailing, then a while later there's little drops of oil. I knew what was up, just never mucked with it.
    newer 134a hose is barrier hose that has a special liner to prevent leakage.

I bought all new lines for my reliant that have the barrier hose and aluminum metal sections.

i plan on cutting off the crimps for the hose sections that go to the condenser section, removing the hose, sliding on my new hose and crimping on the connectors that attach to the condenser.

i hear recommendations to install the hoses to the metal sections after heating them up and quickly crimp so that the ribs on the metal squish better into the barrier inside the hose.

do some reading about the style or ribs/barbs that are compatible with barrier hose. sharp barbs arent compatible though i have a feeling that filing the sanding them smoother would help.

im probably going to use the r134a TXV as the pressure is closer to duster that i usually use. i have a r12 TXV though too.

i have some of that envirosafe ES12a kicking around too.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Thanks for the link. I'll pick one of those up when it's time to make some new lines. I'm not following you on exactly how you're custom making your lines though. You're adapting the new lines you bought to the existing condenser connector?

Hybrid booster

Replace everything. its all 30+ years old and almost everything is still available new the hard lines are fine, just flush with solvent. Having my choice of refrigerants, I would use R-12 over 134a or any of the retrofit refrigerants with R-22 being my second choice. Those butane/ ethane based products are very flammable, if there is a leak all it takes is one spark, and A/C systems do leak inside the vehicle as well as outside. R-12 will get colder than any of the others, and you can add more and it will keep getting colder- none of the others will do that. I see people selling cans of R12 all the time on facebook and other classifieds for 25-30 a can. the 1234yf stuff we use on all the new vehicles is $90 a pound, so its not like its super expensive, just not super cheap.

turbo addict

Gasoline is flammable too lol. Not really a big deal. 1234yf is also flammable.

Thanks for the link. I'll pick one of those up when it's time to make some new lines. I'm not following you on exactly how you're custom making your lines though. You're adapting the new lines you bought to the existing condenser connector?
    im removing the original condenser connector and the short section of hoses that is attached to it back to the previous crimp. then i replace the hoses and add fittings to connect to a parallel flow condenser.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ac hose.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	64759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ac hose redone.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	270.8 KB 
ID:	64760

Quote Originally Posted by crusty shadow View Post
    Those butane/ ethane based products are very flammable, if there is a leak all it takes is one spark, and A/C systems do leak inside the vehicle as well as outside. .
    unless it leaks into the cabin (which you will know as they add scent and the compressor oil stinks) then in the engine bay isnt that big of a deal. my father in law charged his tractors with propane.... and they would spring a large leak occasionally and catch fire... a quick fireball and it was done. he didnt even stop doing farm work.... he just opened the window cause the cab got hot cause the ac stopped working.

a small leak does nothing as its small. its like a lighter leaking out.

as for the duster.... i would use multiple cans a day spraying it everywhere at my old job. its not that flammable. and its as cold as r12 or colder. it murders r134a.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

oh an Brian Cordes, check the metal line/barrier hose size before you order fittings and stuff as there are a few sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    oh an Brian Cordes, check the metal line/barrier hose size before you order fittings and stuff as there are a few sizes.
    Thanks. Are you brazing a new crimp connector on the old side of the line you're keeping?

Thanks. Are you brazing a new crimp connector on the old side of the line you're keeping?
    no, the crimp piece slides over the existing metal line, then you ram the hose onto the metal line and crimp the metal crimp sleeve over it.

i guess if im worried about it blowing off then ill make some kind of retaining device. like wrap and twist safety wire over the line so it catches on that ring thats on them (i have new aluminum lines) and slide it back into the fitting with the rubber hose and then crimp the line.

or hog out the small hole in the crimp fitting so it fits over the ridge on the line and then put a snap ring just beyond the ridge of the line so it holds the crimp fitting from sliding off.

im not really worried about it though if thats actually what you are asking.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    no, the crimp piece slides over the existing metal line, then you ram the hose onto the metal line and crimp the metal crimp sleeve over it.

i guess if im worried about it blowing off then ill make some kind of retaining device. like wrap and twist safety wire over the line so it catches on that ring thats on them (i have new aluminum lines) and slide it back into the fitting with the rubber hose and then crimp the line.

or hog out the small hole in the crimp fitting so it fits over the ridge on the line and then put a snap ring just beyond the ridge of the line so it holds the crimp fitting from sliding off.

im not really worried about it though if thats actually what you are asking.

Brian
    Thanks that makes a lot of sense. I have never used the fittings before, so I wasn't sure how it was all supposed to work.

This southerner seems to have a decent video about AC. Bucar, I think he did exactly what you're explaining for the most part with reusing the lines.

thats exactly what im talking about.

however, rather than just doing a repair, thats how you can add a parallel flow condenser to our cars for better AC performance with newer refrigerants.... like computer duster lol.

Brian

Do you know what gain there is with the parallel flow condensers? I would imagine the real benefit would be the ability to run a smaller condenser?

oh and that blue clamp for around the can, thats a can side tap. i use that for the duster cans.

Alright. It's definitely time to get on this in a more serious fashion. I'll be ordering up a vacuum pump and some refrigerant tonight.

What AC compressor should I buy? I'm thinking about just buying one rather than getting one from the yard for the Mini, as I would like to do this in a manner that will keep Joy quiet for a couple years if possible. I'll try to post up links to things, and if you guys could help to make sure I'm getting the right stuff, I would really appreciate it.

It looks like I could get this compressor kit which includes the expansion valve and drier for $252. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...44023&jsn=2180

I should probably get the seals, etc. for $7.20. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=2213&jsn=2213

From there, I should just need the oil and refrigerant, right?

This seems like the best deal on Hc 12a which is what Duracool is. If anyone knows where I could get a larger amount, that would be great. I don't see why I wouldn't just buy a 30lb container since I'm going to be doing several vehicles. It might be the better way to go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12a-Refrige....c100008.m2219

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast