Thread: GLHS factory shift light

Mitsu booster

GLHS factory shift light

At the risk of sounding dumb, I have a question... The upshift light on my 87 GLHS isn't working. The car has the MP computer in it but is otherwise stock. I know it can be annoying having it come on all the time, but I'd like it to work. Is there something that people commonly did to disable them? I had an 86 SC back in the early late 80's and seem to remember it having the light, but maybe I'm making stuff up in my old age...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: GLHS factory shift light

Welcome to the site. I don't believe the shift light worked in the turbo cars from the factory.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the fast answer, and the Welcome.

turbo addict

Cordes is right as always. Just shift when it's tongue starts to hang out (lol). Shift lights and boost gauges were both MIA on turbo L-bodies.

Mitsu booster

Good to know, I'm still trying to figure out how in the world I knew that was a shift light in the first place. It's been 25 years since I sold my 86, and if that one didn't have the light I honestly have no idea how I'd have known it was there. thanks again for the quick answers and good info.

turbo addict

shift light ??

I know the power loss lamp lights up when you get to the limiter .. BUT , I wouldn't call that a shift light ..though I do have a spot where it is a shift lamp ..at the top of third

same spot every time .. lamp STARTS to glow .. I shift , lamp never actually gets to full brightness..

Hybrid booster

I maybe wrong but didn't some of the early miserly L bodies come with an up-shift light for mileage purposes?

Martin
    85 T&C

Quote Originally Posted by Turbulence View Post
    I maybe wrong but didn't some of the early miserly L bodies come with an up-shift light for mileage purposes?

Martin
    85 T&C
    I'm pretty sure that's what the OP is talking about.

turbo addict

that was called the "fuel pacer light" or something simular
    it goes way back to the early seventies maybe late sixties when mopars used to have the fender top signal indicator lights
    the driver's side one used to be the fuel pacer lamp
    my 73/5 A bodies had 'em

in an L body the vacuum diaphragm on top of the spark control computer ..(looks like PM) is what makes the pacer lamp work

and.. they never put them in a turbo car - they only get the plastic block off plate where the fuel pacer diagram would fit

it was never anything more than one of those vacuum operated fuel mileage gauges .. without the poor/fair/good/excellent "gauge"

Mitsu booster

Yeah, I'm guessing that it was an upshift light for fuel mileage, and not a shift light. I just didn't know what to call it. I'm glad that it isn't supposed to work, so I don't have to chase down a problem! Thanks for the help!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

My 1981 Omni Mizer with the 1.7L had the shift light, and my 1987 Horizon with the 2.2L and 5 speed may have had it, both had the feedback carbs and spark computers. I would imagine the full gauge clusters all had the provision as Chrysler wasn't into different clusters for anything other than base or full gauges. The 87 FSM shows just one printed circuit board for full gauges.

turbo addict

I'm pretty sure the electronics for the F P light are all inside the spark control computer .. as I converted my 85 turismo ..2.2 carb 5spd to log turbo and I lost the fuel pacer function as soon as the engine harness and PM/LM got swapped in with the still same dash harness & full gauge cluster

it's "just" a vacuum triggered light bulb .. it probably wouldn't be hard to separate or find something else ..

like a cheep asian shift lamp..

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    I'm pretty sure the electronics for the F P light are all inside the spark control computer .. as I converted my 85 turismo ..2.2 carb 5spd to log turbo and I lost the fuel pacer function as soon as the engine harness and PM/LM got swapped in with the still same dash harness & full gauge cluster
    it's "just" a vacuum triggered light bulb .. it probably wouldn't be hard to separate or find something else ..
    like a cheep asian shift lamp..
    I believe the wiring is there in the turbo l-bodies for the fuel pacer light. At least from the LM to gauge cluster. Orange with light green tracer sort of rings a bell in LM red #4. I seem to remember having to remove that wiring terminal when converting from 85 to 87 logic module. Red #4 terminal then gets used as power loss light on 87 wiring. The crazy crap you remember when doing something repeatedly...
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    I believe the wiring is there in the turbo l-bodies for the fuel pacer light. At least from the LM to gauge cluster. Orange with light green tracer sort of rings a bell in LM red #4. I seem to remember having to remove that wiring terminal when converting from 85 to 87 logic module. Red #4 terminal then gets used as power loss light on 87 wiring. The crazy crap you remember when doing something repeatedly...
    Todd
    I thought that's what that wire was for too. It's the one you can just leave out if I'm not mistaken.