Thread: Searching for transmission parts for my chrysler gs turbo 2 model 1988!

Mitsu booster

Searching for transmission parts for my chrysler gs turbo 2 model 1988!

Hi,
    I am a new member here, I am from Germany and I am looking for spare parts for my Chrysler GS Turbo 2,
    model year 1988, especially for the manual transmission.
    The first and the third gear are not working properly. Does a transmission overhauling kit exists for my car?
    And does anyone knows where I can get these special parts? They will have to be shipped to Berlin...
    I am looking forward to any useful proposals, thank you!
    Franky
    P.S. If anyone is looking for body - parts or any other spare parts for this model - don't hesitate to contact me,
    I stored a lot of spare parts for my model in my garage!

turbo addict

Re: Searching for transmission parts for my chrysler gs turbo 2 model 1988!

It might just be something wrong with the cables or the cable adjustment. Make sure the grommets are still in the ends of the cables, especially down by the transmission. Only one cable will have a grommet there. The other one has a ball-end that should fit snugly. Check the shifter end of the cables as well. The problem could be there.

Has the transmission ever been serviced? If not, it still probably has ATF in it. Non-synthetic 10W-30 motor oil is a better choice that isn't as expensive as specialty fluids.

There are a few people that specialize in our cars and particularly our transmissions. I don't want to name anyone specific due to unintended perceived favoring. Some can be found in the "Vendors" section here on the forums, and others can be found on Facebook.

Welcome!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

What transmission is in the car? A 555, or 520?

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    It might just be something wrong with the cables or the cable adjustment. Make sure the grommets are still in the ends of the cables, especially down by the transmission. Only one cable will have a grommet there. The other one has a ball-end that should fit snugly. Check the shifter end of the cables as well. The problem could be there.

Has the transmission ever been serviced? If not, it still probably has ATF in it. Non-synthetic 10W-30 motor oil is a better choice that isn't as expensive as specialty fluids.

There are a few people that specialize in our cars and particularly our transmissions. I don't want to name anyone specific due to unintended perceived favoring. Some can be found in the "Vendors" section here on the forums, and others can be found on Facebook.

Welcome!
    Hi,
    thank you for your hints ... but as a car mechanic, I am pretty sure, that there's something wrong with the transmission itself, because it makes noises when you shift the gears, and the noise comes from inside the transmission housing...so there's a mechanical problem inside, for sure... would have been nice if it will only have been an electrical problem .... :-)
    When I bought this car, one of the first things I did (beside overhauling the whole brake system), was that I changed the ATF Fluid (and all other fluids) because the car hasn't been driven for several years, it was owened by a kind of "car messie" - an old guy who simply bought cars and "collected" them but he did not even had a driving license - so he never drove one of them!- , but then the transmission was already not working properly, you could barely shift from the first to the second gear without producing strange noises...so I already knew before, that I buy a car with a transmission problem but now, it got worse, of course, while I drove a few kilometres here in the city...

Nevertheless, thank you very much for your help , I already bought another transmission, but I even don't know if this one is working properly because it was a whole Daytona that I bought and I couldn't test it, because there were already missing some important parts when I bought this car as a spare parts dispenser - so I will need a transmission overhauling kit, anyway!

Mitsu booster

Hi, it seems to be an A555 - transmission, so says the badge on the transmission housing.

There is a selector housing on top of the trans under the air box. It's held on by 6 or 8 bolts with 10mm heads on them. If you pull that off and take some pictures of what's inside, that could offer some clues.

What are your goals for the car? You said you are a mechanic? Rebuilding one of these is pretty easy.

Mitsu booster

Thanks a lot for the information... I will do so when I am back home, right now, I am still with my sister in Hamburg and I don't know when I will be back
    due to the complicated public situation here in Germany.

My GS is technically done (except the transmission problem) and it runs good, right now there are "only" ( ;-) ) the optical things which have to be done and some little things in the inside which are missing ...
    My goal ist that it should be as good as new when I am through with it - here in Germany we have hard requirements when a car should be officially registred as
    a so called "Oldtimer" ( antique car ) for then it gets financial benefits concerning the taxes - so it has to be as good as new :-) anyway .. :-)

One of my former students lives in Hamburg. Where do you normally live? How many of these cars were sold over there?

Mitsu booster

Hi,
    I live in Berlin. I don't know how many of these models have been sold here in Germany total but what I definately know is that only 7 others of these cars are actually official registrated as driving cars in Germany - how many of them are still sleeping somewhere in hidden sheds or survived somewhere else, I cannot say ... ;-)
    I only met two other owners of this model on different american cars - events here in Germany... :-) so a very rare model here overseas :-) nearly nobody here knows this car and wherever you show up, you catch attraction or earn some comments :-) the most frequently asked question still is: "What is this for a car?" :-)

turbo addict

a few things could cause shifting issues

most simple is a missing clip that attaches the cables to the transmission

if the clip is / are missing (2 of) then the entire cable sheathing moves when the shifter is , instead of only the inner cable moving that actually shifts the gears

there is also a shifter alignment process to ensure the cable lengths are correct

worst case scenario is a busted transmission

they can crack at the forward end of the trans ..in the wall between the gear set case and the bellhousing

simple check is for transmission oil leaking from the bottom of the bellhousing

if the oil will not stay in the trans then the case is cracked at the secondary shaft , front bearing and you'll need an entire trans to replace that

this causes shifting issues as the two gear shafts fall out of alignment with each other

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Grab hold of the selector levers and try shifting the transmission by hand. If you can engage each gear, the problem may be in the shifter or cables.
    If it does not engage each gear by hand, you will have to look inside.
    Intermediate shaft bearing failures are common on these transmissions. Bearing failure will cause the gears on the intermediate shaft and input shaft to come out of alignment. Eventually this ends in catastrophic failure and a lot of junk parts.
    If you have a factory service manual, look over the manual transmission section and then pull the selector cover as suggested above. You'll be able to look inside, rotate the transmission and pry around to see if there is any excessive play.
    If you have to tear the transmission down, you can remove most of the internals without removing the transmission from the car. It will all come out from the side behind the driver's side wheel.
    If there's a bearing failure it will be apparent

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Intermediate shaft bearing failures are common on these transmissions.
    Is this the front bearing near the bellhousing?
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    Is this the front bearing near the bellhousing?
    Indeed. I've heard from many people that they were quite prone to galling and failing there when new. I think they must have worked that out in time because I don't hear of it much anymore. However, I do know that my CSX #42 ate a shaft on the way home from SDAC once upon a time before my ownership.

Mitsu booster

Hi everyone,
    thanks for your posts and helpfull hints, unfortunately, I still not made it home to Berlin where my car is - so when I'm back, I will check all the points you
    guys proposed me to do so ... just to add a little information for the experts here: when the car is standing (not rolling) I can shift all gears without problems -
    only while driving, there are the strange noises and the shifting does not "flow", it is "stucking" (do you say so ? ... you have to shift very "softly" to put in a gear).

I really appreciate your help and I will keep you informed when I will be back home...

If it goes into each gear when you shift slow, I would think it could be the cables.