Thread: 2.4L turbo into 1986 K Lebaron convertible

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

2.4L turbo into 1986 K Lebaron convertible

I was playing with the idea of building a hybrid 2.5L to drop into my 1986 Lebaron konvertible. It currently has a strong 1988 T2 engine with the 2 piece intake. I was looking at using a 41TE to get the OD gear as the K body convertibles are extremely difficult to install a 5 speed shifter and cables in due to the body reinforcements. it was suggested I post this thread in here.

Several questions come up, mounts, I do know I can use an A413 mount as the holes are there, shifter and cable, I have a shifter that will work from a 300M, and it is for the autostick system.

Front mount (torque reaction mount), one hole matches exactly on the transaxle case, the other and the starter lower bolt interfere with each other, block bolts, not there.

Right side frame mount, I read a bit on the sticky, but still have questions.

Cooling system, current radiator is a Daytona T2 one with the intercooler.

AC and PS, any ideas? Car has a nice ZF pump and a complete 1994 Shadow R134 AC system.

Engine controls, can a TIII SBEC be made to work as it does have the capability to "talk" to the 41TE/A604 computer.

Thanks for any input.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: 2.4L turbo into 1986 K Lebaron convertible

Does the 41te have a provision for the crank sensor that the T3 uses? Also, it may be tough to find a 41TE with the 2.2/2.5 bolt pattern. I think they were only offered in export markets.

Since the TIII was always mated to a manual transmission in production, it would seem unlikely that it the SBEC would have provisions for an automatic trans, but somebody could probably give you a more certain answer.

My advice would be to use a 2.4 block and a 31th trans with a tall final drive. (2.87 ring and pinion with a .91 transfer gear) You will have enough torque with the 2.4 that a deep first gear and an overdrive will not really be needed. If you are not planning on making tons of power, and sticking with a smallish turbo, a Neon torque converter would give you lockup clutch for good highway manners. The 3 speeds were always fully hydraulically controlled (other than the lockup clutch) so you would not need any kind of PCM control.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Mike, in answer to your questions (a) no, but it can be added, the later 2.4L engines have a crank and cam sensor, I am trying to find the exact timing, number of pulses etc. (b) Is there a 31TH for the 2.4L? (c) I didn't think to look at my injector information, but last night it occurred to me that the 2.4L injectors may be high impedance so a V6 SBEC could be chipped with a Boost Button module to run the engine, 41TE used a standalone computer up into the early 2000s. As long as the CCD bus is set up, the SBEC and EATX will talk to each other.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
    Mike, in answer to your questions (a) no, but it can be added, the later 2.4L engines have a crank and cam sensor, I am trying to find the exact timing, number of pulses etc. (b) Is there a 31TH for the 2.4L? (c) I didn't think to look at my injector information, but last night it occurred to me that the 2.4L injectors may be high impedance so a V6 SBEC could be chipped with a Boost Button module to run the engine, 41TE used a standalone computer up into the early 2000s. As long as the CCD bus is set up, the SBEC and EATX will talk to each other.
    Yup, the 31TH came in all automatic Neons from 1995-2000. Also some 2.0 powered cloud cars I believe. Bolt pattern is the same as 2.4, that is what I am using in my car. I am however not using a lockup converter.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Ok, then it will be easy to modify like I did the one in my 1985 konvertible, extra FWD and 3rd/reverse clutch discs and a 3.0L V6 kickdown band. Add a bit of basic line pressure, shim up the kickdown apply servo spring and tweak the throttle pressure. As far as electronics go, Miles Snow has determined that the 3.3L SBEC II I sent him to play with is "fully populated" as far as power switching components, but is design for high impedance injectors like the 2.4L comes with. It has the capability to run three coils and six injectors, and probably with a reflash run a lockup converter. The "guts" will fit in a car case just fine.