Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FTDI adapter help

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: FTDI adapter help

It's the mpt2coms file we need to see, which may help troubleshoot.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

If you want to send me your cable I'll make sure it works.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Hybrid booster

Got home, looked at the mpt2coms file for both mptune and mpscan, it kept defaulting to com1 even though i had clicked " save port settings" after setting to com 9. com 9 was even showing at the bottom of mptune. i set everything again, then closed the program, shut down my computer, unplugged the cable from computer, turned back on, started mptune, com1 showing at bottom this time. plugged cable in and it automatically switched to com 9. now it connects.

Windows 10 with AMD processor. computer i built with a clean windows install.
    Stock ECU T2 SMEC

i had restarted my computer a couple times after i got the cable, i dont understand why it kept defaulting to com 1.

If I recall correctly, to read a stock SMEC cal off an unmodified ECU, you need 21V applied to the pin #11 on the 60 way. If it is modified to be flashable, using a BoostButton flash module, then only 12V need be applied to pin #11.

I was looking for this information as a double-check but couldn't locate it right now. I'm not sure if or where I saved it. But I did find that referenced in an old email to the MPSciLink crew.

So, when you tried reading your bin off your ECU, how were you doing it?
    Did you already install a wire to pin #11 on the 60 way? (There isn't one there from the factory.)
    If so, were you using 12v or 21v?

The pin #11 is only used for reading/flashing. So that does not affect MPScan.
    Are you trying to log also? Have you had a successful log now that the cable is being recognized?
    Can you copy&paste the text of the mpt2coms file here?

Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Oh, and what device is in com1?
    I notice sometimes I get a default like that when I leave my Bluetooth dongle in a USB port.

Wayne H.

Hybrid booster

Now that its staying on com 9 its connecting and i can record logs. I was unaware that I had to do anything with pin 11, how-to instructions are kinda hard to find for all this stuff. I feel a LOT better after seeing that record log work and gauges moving when I applied voltage to some of the inputs. Now that Ive got my connection working I can switch over to the flashable unit I built.
    just started it up now, uploaded the mpt2tune file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Great news!
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

I think you need to check the device manager details for the FTDI cable and load VCP drivers.
    If I'm not mistaken.

But glad it appears to be working!

Wayne H.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

Ok gentlemen mine is still not working. Here is my mp2coms.txt file I found I had some bad connectors in my 60 pin connector, so I replaces them. His version of MPTune is 2.0.4.8 and mine is 2.0.7.1 mpt2coms.txt

Hybrid booster

I looked at your file and yours is doing the same thing mine was. I had saved the port to the USB com port and click save but it would keep defaulting to the com1 port.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Double check the FTDI setup instructions here.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...d.php?p=593977

Your mpt2coms log shows the latency value and VCP driver inconsistent with the setup instructions. This is true for both of you.
    Try this, and see if it improves.

Wayne H.

wayne is correct. it is finding more than 1 com port. it needs to be using the ftdi com port. the version differences are due to one is mpscan and the other is mptune. unplug the non ftdi cable usb device to try to get it to use the correct port. it should prioritize the ftdi port over the regular com ports. i'll test my cable with extra usb devices plugged in and see if there is a problem in the selection process. and you do need to make sure the vcp driver is loaded in the device manager setup as per the instructions. otherwise, even tho it finds an ftdi cable it will not be able to use the com port.

Ok, I went back, downloaded the vcp file and made sure the port settings are correct. If I open MPTune then connect my USB cable (the one that came with the FTDI module) and plug in the FTDI module it finds COM3 and the saved settings are loaded automatically. I am still getting the same error messages. Before I downloaded and installed the vcp, it acted like it was going to read the chip but just sat there. I tried holding the bootstrap button down and the program just sat there. After downloading and configuring the port to use the vcp it gives me the same error messages I was getting before. MPTune shows the ECU type as SBEC2 and there is no option for SBEC or SBEC1, just SBEC2 or SBEC3.
    mpt2coms.txt

So what am I doing wrong, or am I using the wrong program? I am trying to learn this program's features and functions. The last time I was trying to tune Mopar computers, was in 2005 and it was D-cal and I was using a two part 1987 Daytona system. I just noticed when I read the mpt2coms it is not showing the vcp driver as loaded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-02-24.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	64655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-02-24 (1).jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	64656   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-02-24 (2).jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	64657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-02-24 (3).jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	64658  

are you using a boostbutton flash module? if so, is it a smec or sbec? you need to go into program settings under mptune setup and select the correct interface.

I am not using a flash module yet, I have one and am trying to decide which of the SBECs I have to use it in.

you cannot flash any stock chips - lm, smec, sbec1,sbec2.

you need a boostbutton adapter to flash the smec, sbec1 or sbec2.

ignore the vcp and latency readings in the log file. it does not appear they get picked up correctly. just make sure your driver settings set the latency to 2 and loads the vcp driver.

you should be able to log all the ecu's with mpscan. however, you generally need to be running a turbonator cal to have the gauges make sense. it is possible to log a stock cal as long as you know where all the sensor locations are at in the cal. so unless the cal has been disassembled you won't be able to log it.

I am not trying to flash anything, I am trying to read the chip in a somewhat unusual SBEC, 5235577, which I am told is a real oddball, it is (according to chromguy), for a 1990 S body 2.5L turbo with a 41TE. Apparently Chrysler most have started to build them, then either didn't or only built a very few as I can't find anything in the parts lists for the transaxle. I wanted to read and save the chip information as I have this one and a 2.5LT1 MT one for a car. I need to be able to set up something for my 2.2LT2 engine in my 1986 Lebaron convertible which only came as an automatic due to the floor reinforcements. I was expecting another car one but the seller couldn't find the one he thought he had and since it was tagged 2.5L turbo automatic he asked if that would be OK. I just stuck it in an extra car case so it will fit in the stock location where the power module sat.

What I am getting, is even though I have the settings showing to use the VCP, it is not, the mpt2coms shows "False" for Vcp driver loaded, which is probably why it will not communicate.

ignore the vcp settings. it appears the driver does not report the correct settings. i'm researching it. as long as you have it checked in the windows usb driver setup property it should be good.

It still gives me the same errors and I used a completely different computer, I used a MACBook Pro that will dual boot into Win10. I even removed the mouse receiver and used the touch pad so I only had one usb port in use.

Hybrid booster

Hi all. I've been lurking this thread and wondering if I could ask/add something.
    Have you used this set up on another ECU and it works fine and then when you try to do the same steps on the oddball SBEC 5235577 you get errors?
    What comes up in device manager when you insert the cable? When you updated your program/changed computers did you update the windows drivers too?
    https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast