Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TFB Mighty D50 2.4t

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Re: TFB Mighty D50 2.4t

Was so excited about the intake clearing
    And I mounted up the header I got from Anthony (custom DCR piece he had made for the Colt). Looked great on there ! Slight warp on the flange and looks like some cracks on the tubes that'll need to be addressed.

Slapped on the turbo
    Everything fits , everything clears
    Even my Tial wastegate
    No fender trimming needed, even clears the P/S bracket and reservoir (probably getting removed)

Crap the starter !!
    Tested the other block up to the trans
    The one tube hits along a good portion of the starter
    Started spacing it out, figured I could double up a flange. Over 3/8" and it's still touching.
    Swapped the 3 different style starters
    All no luck , working on another trick up my sleeve shortly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

Now for the money shots 😁

10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09

For those following along and thinking of a rwd 2.4 swap, here's some things I found out about the motor mounts

Anthony gave me some brackets he slapped together. Wasn't opposed to using them but wanted to check some options

Knowing now that the 2.4 was available rwd in the 02-05 Jeep Liberty and 03-06 Jeep Wrangler I decided to order up some mounts.

Only one set of Wrangler brackets (bolts to block with rubber mount to frame) left from the dealer about $110/pair new. Available used on Ebay, none locally in junkyards
    Part # 52059418AA & 52059420AA

Figured I'd order the Jeep Liberty mounts (bolts to block ,has a rubber spool mount on cast steel/iron mount) center bolt goes through to frame tabs. $120/pair Autozone
    Duralast # 3009 & 3010

Jeep Liberty mounts are HUGE and HEAVY !
    16lbs for the pair, I swear the engineer thought he was designing these for a Cummins LOL

So after getting these monsters I had a flash back to reading a post stating that there was a few different blocks. I was hoping my '99 was similar to the 2.2/2.5 fwd/rwd where the boss is the same just needs to be tapped. BUT NO !! Here's the link
    https://www.enginebuildermag.com/201...dentification/

2 bolts line up on the 1 side, nothing on the other.
    So if you're planning rwd and want to save some headaches '03 and up . Plus the SRT4 head will line up too.

10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by "Top Fuel" Bender View Post
    I bought a T56 Viper trans originally when I 1st thought about a 2.4t swap

But then through persistent bugging and the help of his wife, Cliff Sebring sold me the 1 of 6 904s with the 2.2 casted bellhousing. More on that to come

Wait, what?! I didn't even know there were any!
    That's cool!
    Guess they never made any with the correct 2.4 bellhousing pattern?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

I will be interested in how the 2.2/2.5L transmission bolts to a 2.0/2.4L block. I am trying the reverse, a 2.0/2.4L 41TE to a 2.5L common block that will have a 2.0/2.4L DOHC head.

turbo addict

thinking , .. there might be a euro version of that trans .. and IF so it might just have the extra bolt location at the front of the bellhousing for the 2.4 to bolt up

because , my euro spec 588 trans also has the extra bolt hole for a 2.4
    otherwise it's a std 523/568 case with no timing window

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Wait, what?! I didn't even know there were any!
    That's cool!
    Guess they never made any with the correct 2.4 bellhousing pattern?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Yeap !
    I've got a ton more pics and some info
    Just trying to sort it all out and validate some of it, found some consistency. So don't want to post too much yet.

But supposedly there was 6 cast as an experiment to test with an auto Dakota 2.2 but early testing showed the carb N/A 2.2 wasn't a good candidate for an auto.

No 2.4 904 auto rwds that I know of

10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09

Quote Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
    I will be interested in how the 2.2/2.5L transmission bolts to a 2.0/2.4L block. I am trying the reverse, a 2.0/2.4L 41TE to a 2.5L common block that will have a 2.0/2.4L DOHC head.
    2.2/2.5 trans on a 2.0/2.4 works
    Bunch of the fwd guys have it working already

Issue your gonna have with 2.2/2.5 motor on a 2.0/2.4 trans is the block mount bolt ends up dead center of the starter and the front of the 2.2/2.5 buldges out not leaving room for the starter if the block wasn't in the way

10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09

I had already discovered that by comparing the block plates. 3 of the 4 holes are exact matches, the problem is the front mount upper bolt and the lower 2.0/2.4 starter bolt. To compound the fun, the converter and flex plate to crank holes match, 41TE converter and flywheel are smaller and the 31TH (A413) one will not fit in the 41TE case, the gear teeth on the 41TE flex plate are larger than the 31TH along with the starter pinion.

From some preliminary fitting, the big issue on the 2.2/2.5L block is the oil pressure tap point, it is right where the 2.0/2.4L starter body would sit. I was really hoping to get the starter out from under the exhaust manifold and turbo.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I gotta ask.... at that point, why not just use the 2.4 block?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Because I have both a 1988 T2 engine with the 1987 two piece intake and a 1989 2.5L T1 common block and no 2.0/2.4L blocks. I would still have to fabricate things anyway to have it fit in a 1986 Lebaron konvertible.

Because I have both a 1988 T2 engine with the 1987 two piece intake and a 1989 2.5L T1 common block and no 2.0/2.4L blocks. I would still have to fabricate things anyway to have it fit in a 1986 Lebaron konvertible.
    Early 2.4's are dirt cheap in junk yards. You're going to need to buy pistons no matter what. You can keep your 2.5 rods and use those. Yeah, you're still going to need to do some fab.... but less than half of what you'd need if you cling to the 2.2/2.5 block. Just trying to save you some headaches.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Ok, I can probably get a 2.4 turbo block from my favorite junkyard (free probably), but that begs the other question, engine electronics. Can a TIII SBEC be used as I have one and that was one of the reasons I got it, to be able to run the DIS system on the 2.4L head so as to not have to deal with the distributor. I know the crank sensor and cam sensors will be needed. I will be honest, if it can't be done with a Chrysler computer, then I will end probably using a Ford EEC-V which I have the equipment and knowledge to reflash them with no problems and there are a number of Ford applications with DIS systems, including the 2.3L with dual coil packs, and most use an MAF sensor rather than a MAP sensor.

Ok, I can probably get a 2.4 turbo block from my favorite junkyard (free probably), but that begs the other question, engine electronics. Can a TIII SBEC be used as I have one and that was one of the reasons I got it, to be able to run the DIS system on the 2.4L head so as to not have to deal with the distributor. I know the crank sensor and cam sensors will be needed. I will be honest, if it can't be done with a Chrysler computer, then I will end probably using a Ford EEC-V which I have the equipment and knowledge to reflash them with no problems and there are a number of Ford applications with DIS systems, including the 2.3L with dual coil packs, and most use an MAF sensor rather than a MAP sensor.
    This probably would be good for it's own thread. You and I are hijacking Bruce's build post.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Out back I was gonna swap out the rear, factory ran a Mitsu 8" (3rd member stlye) and a 9" on V6 models. Then I found out they are very stout pieces. 4cyl Montero's/Raider's were available with a LSD on some models. With no luck finding one, and a quick call to the local yard ... I jumped on the 8.8 bandwagon.

'95-up Ford Explorer 8.8 rear
    Comes factory with 3.73 (3.55/4.10 little more rare)
    31 spline axles
    Disc brakes
    And a Posi
    All for $200 w/ extra axle ! Happy it was super clean for this area and even had new brakes

If you grab one get a spare passenger side axle, they're 3" shorter. Cut the driver's side tube down to fit the passenger side axle. Boom you got a decent rear that'll fit.

Of course I need to move the axle perches too since the D50 is axle over

Ordered ARP wheel studs right away. Steeda offers a nice 2.5" length for the 8.8. Don't need the massive 3" long ones. I'm looking at diff covers and c-clip eliminators right away too. Now it's starting to get a little more expensive. Haha

10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09

Now I've got 5x4.5" on the back and 6 lug upfront. Easy solution. So how in some strange world you can take '99 Toyota Tacoma front brake rotors,bearings and hubs and bolt then on a '92 D50 truck . Make (2) small spacers for the caliper bracket and you've got 5x144.3mm or 5x4.5" all the way around.

Since I went disc brakes out back and need to plumb in the line lock too, I ordered a Wilwood combination distribution block/ adjuster. Saw these years ago, such a clean compact design. Finally get to play with one.

Now I've got tons of wheel choices available
    Not sure on offsets yet, so I grabbed a cheap set of 5 lug 6x16" Mitsubishi Outlander rims to roll the truck around and check fitment. Rear requires a small spacer or bore out the hub center, fronts go right on. 225/60r16 pretty tall and the truck sits up way too high.
    Rolled a 245/50r16 under the truck, looks like plenty of room and looks mean too

10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    This probably would be good for it's own thread. You and I are hijacking Bruce's build post.
    So can we get one of the admins to move it for us, or can you do it?

So can we get one of the admins to move it for us, or can you do it?
    I think I can do that. You might have to create a new thread in the 2.4 swap section, and then I think i can move the posts over there and then clean this up.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Ok, let me look there. Done sir!
    Last edited by 85lebaront2; 03-17-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12