Thread: Big brakes for my Laser, Help!

Garrett booster

Big brakes for my Laser, Help!

I want to do a big brake upgrade on my 84 Laser, I want to go front and rear discs, 5 lug conversion, bolt in wheel bearings if possible, looking for information on what i need from donor cars, and what cars will have the parts i need.I'm guessing that rotors, calipers, hoses, are available new, what about caliper mounting brackets? avail new? or need to come from donor car?
    I know i'm asking for a lot of info but i sure do need help gathering information so I know what i need to search for. I was in contact with someone who has a complete brake set up off a IROC R/T but they don't seem to want to ship so please help my put together a shopping list of what i need.
    I'm also wanting to lower the car and get a stiffer strut/spring set up if that possible, but i want to do brakes first
    Thanks in advance.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Big brakes for my Laser, Help!

That's all very easy. I cover the process in a couple videos. I posted two of them, but there are more covering the process. Bottom line is you want knuckles off of a 91+ car, and you'll have to modify the hoses either where they bolt to the hard line, or where they bolt to the caliper. You can get calipers and brackets new still. Good disks are getting harder to find. Rich Bryant for the Hawk pads and later on, the BC coil over struts. This is perhaps my favorite upgrade for the cars.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Garrett booster

Thanks for the info on the brakes, have any info on what I need for rears?

Most people like the solid rears 89+, the 87-8 rear from Shelby Z are not recommended by most although mine are OK.
    Most believe the vented rears are a bit much for the lighter cars.
    Here is a good read
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...-Brake-Options
    Regards,
    Miles

Garrett booster

Good info, thanks, SO...... what do I NEED as far as rear spindles go to do a drum to disc swap? What do i need to find off a donor car to bolt up to my car, i can then get the new rear hub and bearing, ect ect

Quote Originally Posted by Barraguy View Post
    Good info, thanks, SO...... what do I NEED as far as rear spindles go to do a drum to disc swap? What do i need to find off a donor car to bolt up to my car, i can then get the new rear hub and bearing, ect ect
    You can check here for part number of your vehicles vs part numbers of the donor....http://www.glmwpg.com/ServiceManuals/
    Personally when I bought a used 90 vented brakes, I took everything. spindles, backing plate, hub, caliper, rotor, shoes, hardware, pads, parking brake bracket and lines, hydraulic lines fitting and clips. etc
    Regards,
    Miles

Garrett booster

What proportioning valve do you recommend for a laser with vented brakes up front and solid rear rotors?

turbo addict

What proportioning valve do you recommend for a laser with vented brakes up front and solid rear rotors?
    I suggest the "yellow tag" valve. It seems to be the best "all around" part.

Garrett booster

What vehicle was it found on? Also, I want to do the minivan master cylinder upgrade what year minivan do I need one from?

Regards,
    Miles

Garrett booster

Good info,had to read it a few times and digest it. Not having the car on the road yet as brake work is still being done I think i'm going to start with the one from the 94 lebaron disc disc and see how the rears like it. The rears are solid with the 3 mm spacer that allows me to run slotted neon rotors,and i'm also running 300M rear calipers.What master cylinder are you running? or would you recommend for 11.2 vented up front and solid rears?

Good info,had to read it a few times and digest it. Not having the car on the road yet as brake work is still being done I think i'm going to start with the one from the 94 lebaron disc disc and see how the rears like it. The rears are solid with the 3 mm spacer that allows me to run slotted neon rotors,and i'm also running 300M rear calipers.What master cylinder are you running? or would you recommend for 11.2 vented up front and solid rears?
    I am running 11" with 60mm calipers using Hawk pads in front with a 24mm MC. Current I am running 88' solid on the rear. I am considering adding my 11 vented rears at some point. Need to get the CSX on the road first.
    BTW, 11" fronts are fantastic, one of my best upgrades.
    Regards,
    Miles

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    I am running 11" with 60mm calipers using Hawk pads in front with a 24mm MC. Current I am running 88' solid on the rear. I am considering adding my 11 vented rears at some point. Need to get the CSX on the road first.
    BTW, 11" fronts are fantastic, one of my best upgrades.
    Haven't been able to locate a 11 vented rear, found one, but guy wasn't willing to ship no matter how much i pleaded,with spring around the corner i went with solids. What are rear pad options? earliest 24mm i could find is 1990, does that sound right?

Haven't been able to locate a 11 vented rear, found one, but guy wasn't willing to ship no matter how much i pleaded,with spring around the corner i went with solids. What are rear pad options? earliest 24mm i could find is 1990, does that sound right?
    Rear pad options for the solid 89+ should be very good as I have these rotor on my CSX. I remember lots of choice.
    I bought a 24mm MC for a 91 Spirit R/T with 15" wheels https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+cylinder,1836
    Regards,
    Miles

turbo addict

Pad options for the rear aren't a big problem simply because you do NOT want an aggressive pad in the back. Even with solid discs. I run organic parts-store pads in the rear.