Thread: 2.5l tiii

Hybrid booster

2.5l tiii

I would like to know where I need to put the distributor on the TIII head : intake or exhaust cam ?

thanks and merry Xmas :-)

turbo addict

Re: 2.5l tiii

Most would use the exhaust cam since the oem thermostat housing & upper radiator hose take up real estate right by the intake cam. Another option would be to use a regular common block so you can use the factory distributor and then modify the intake manifold so it fits. A third option would be to run the factory TIII electronics, tune with MPTune and avoid using a distributor all together.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Hybrid booster

Thanks,
    The block comes from a 89 2.5L TI CB.

I would like to keep the stock electronic (at least harness) for simplicity.

I have a plenum manifold and the factory distributor barely feet (problem with the wires that goes straight up)
    However it seems that it is not possible to use the stock distributor because the factory TI pulley doesn't have the same teeths so cant be used and the TIII pulley doesn't turn at the same speed (different size)

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

Yes, the factory TIII intermediate shaft turns at roughly 3/4 crank speed instead of 1/2. I am trying a similar idea, but using a 2.0/2.4L DOHC head and I actually obtained a 1991 TIII SBEC. My initial problem is determining where in relation to crank and cam position the sensors trigger. Does the crank sensor simply have two slots/holes or more, are they at TDC, before or after, does the cam sensor trigger only once to tell the SBEC this is #1 or is it a (1-3) and (2-4) reference? I figure on using the 2.0/2.4L coil as it is a dual one like the TIII, intake is still up in the air, but I have an SRT4 exhaust and turbo assembly. Good luck! I will be following this with interest.