Thread: Diferences between SMEC versions

Mitsu booster

Diferences between SMEC versions

Hi -

I was referred here from over at Turbo-Dodge for a SMEC programming question. Chromguy thought there was a chance someone here may know the answer I'm looking for offhand.

I have an 89 LeBaron Conv, 2.5L, Turbo, Auto, CA emissions. I was troubleshooting a potential issue with my SMEC and in that process noticed that my vehicle has SMEC part 5235141. Turns out that is a SMEC from an A-body (89 Dodge Spirit) also 2.5T, auto, CA emissions. The correct part in my vehicle is 5235101 (same part as in Daytona and Shadow of same year.)

I had asked over there if anyone knew, at a high level, what the difference was between these two part numbers - I assume it's tuned slightly differently, but wasn't sure how. I was trying to figure out if it was worth the effort to track down the exact correct SMEC, or if I should just work with what I have. He directed me to the MPTuner software, which I loaded (and it's really cool), but just for me to figure out what the difference is between two programs I'd have a pretty hefty learning curve ahead of me, especially if someone here just happened to have an idea. So I was hoping someone may be able to help out if it was something you knew.

Thanks in advance!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: Diferences between SMEC versions

i wouldnt worry about it.

if you look in the ECU Code Repository here are all the 89 stock cals that we have. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post385329

alot (if not all) stock cals are included in the T-SMEC 19.6 release. you can load a bunch of them up and compare the differences.

im not sure how the part number lines up with the cal numbers though.

Brian

- - - Updated - - -

the tuning is probably pretty similar for those two vehicles. maybe some minor differences for emissions.

id just install a socket in a SMEC and start burning your own calibrations.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Chrysler superseded computer part numbers often due to running changes during production. Neither number is listed at the link below, but a google search indicates that both are 2.5 turbo auto trans SMEC. As long as both are working, you probably wouldn’t notice any difference.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...cu_listing.pdf

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the feedback. Both part numbers appear in the 1989 Parts Catalog reference, found here, 5235101 is found for J, G, and P bodies, while 5235141 is found under A body - http://www.glmwpg.com/ServiceManuals/

Certainly likely they were superseded from that point, but that's where I was starting from.

I'm working on a problem in my LeBaron that I'm not ultimately sure what it is - it came with a 12-button Navigator, which was not functional. I got a replacement (and fixed the buttons) - worked great for a few weeks, then died. Got another, same basic problem. Unit runs great but after it sits (with the car off) the unit becomes non-functional. So I've been testing out different electrical functions. On the connector feeding the Navigator I found that there is a constant 5V coming down the "fuel flow" line from the SMEC (pin 36 on the 60-way connector, pin 6 on the Navi connector) - this 5V is there even when the car is off. It appears to run okay otherwise. I have been trying to figure out if this voltage is expected or not. I got a replacement reman SMEC (which had a bad power board), and it had the same behavior sending 5V down the fuel flow line, so I'm sort of assuming this is expected behavior. But I have been trying to find someone with a similar vehicle to test their connector and be certain. Or if anyone has other paths of testing I should being trying out, that'd be nice too. (Maybe I should start a different new thread on this. )

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Is there any way to copy the list legally??

It would be nice to have a paper copy but I wasn't able to copy it.

Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Chrysler superseded computer part numbers often due to running changes during production. Neither number is listed at the link below, but a google search indicates that both are 2.5 turbo auto trans SMEC. As long as both are working, you probably wouldn’t notice any difference.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...cu_listing.pdf

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada