Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Intake Manifold

Hybrid booster

New Intake Manifold

With all these talks of a new intake manifolds being built I thought I'd post mine

THIS is how a manifold should be built

Same guy also fixed my dipstick tube

Plenum has 4.5 litres of volume and is on a 2.2

Hybrid booster

Re: New Intake Manifold

Looks very nice to me I like odd looking things and also looks very efficient-purpose manifold . How difficult was it to installed?

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Not bad at all! Very good skills! So are you going to put a bigger throttle body on it? It could really need it!
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Hybrid booster

awesome!
    now the question is... can you make me one pretty please!?

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

any pics of it off the car?? I want to see the bottom half.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

turbo addict

looks good the only questionable part is that the tb shoots straight at the back wall of the mani

Hybrid booster

Rattlesnake, It installed just as easy as a 1 piece intake as that is what it used to be.

Frank, I put a 52mm TB on there I figure that's best for it for right now

Lynx, Yes I can make you one but It will cost you some money's but I can definatly get one made up for you, PM me

Clay, I forgot to take pictures of it off the car, but basically it's 6 inches of hogged out 1 Piece runners, with all the non runner material cut off it so it's just the runners and the flange. It looks pretty sweet as you can look through it and see the turbo.

turbo addict

Ballpark $$$ figure?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    looks good the only questionable part is that the tb shoots straight at the back wall of the mani
    +1

When the throttle is opened fully, it's my belief that the entire charge system becomes a plenum. It'll benefit from the shorter runners. looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    +1

When the throttle is opened fully, it's my belief that the entire charge system becomes a plenum. It'll benefit from the shorter runners. looks good.
    It has been proven time and time again outside of the TD world that a free flowing tract into the plenum area creates more equal distribution and less pressure drop.

On vehicles such as most of ours that don't have the capabilities of tuning each individual cylinder this is a big issue. The volume is nice, but a better transition into the plenum box is critical.

Having said that, you'll still see a large improvement over the stock piece, but there is still room to improve if you so desire.

AM

Hybrid booster

maybe next year or something but this is just a manifold we put together at work with maybe a total of 10 minutes worth of thinking into before we started cutting out metal to build it. Took maybe all of what 2 hours to build?

Ball park price figure would be around 150 CDN? or perhaps trade for some other parts

Mitsu booster

how much more of a 'free flowing' track into the plenum do you want, the TB has a straight shot into the plenum, and is 5" away from the back wall

turbo addict

I would have the box mani then a 2 1/2" elbow out of it w/ the TB, like the modified 1 peices floating around here.

Or even place the TB on the end if clearance/cables arent an issue. Then you would have to have a 90 I/C pipe right before it any way

Quote Originally Posted by phaxtris View Post
    how much more of a 'free flowing' track into the plenum do you want, the TB has a straight shot into the plenum, and is 5" away from the back wall
    How about a TB location that doesn't just let air hit a solid flat wall 4 inches from it's entrance to the plenum? That is NO room when you're talking airflow velocities that will be at that point.

I want a side inlet, or frontal, but must be blended into the surge tank area with a nice radius or taper. Inside there should be velocity stacks, or a machined floor to give a trumpet style inlet into each individual runner.

AM

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Looks good. Any before, after tests, dyno etc?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Looks good. Any before, after tests, dyno etc?
    garret, dyno or test????? if he dosent melt anything it workds... hahahaha

Mitsu booster

you guys are all trying to over think this, this is not an NA motor, a good portion of its time is spent in boost, where velocitys, etc are not as important, mabye take for example the intake manifold on a 7mgte, tb faces a wall right away, no problems there, people still make upwards of 600whp on them

and velocity stacks! machined floors! LOL, when is the last time you cut apart an intake manifold from any boosted car, you tell me wich have velocity stacks and machined floors, because none of the ones i have ever cut apart have them.

mabye i should even refrence to old v8's, where the carb is generally 5" away from the floor of the intake manifold, and this is a fuel/air charge, not just fuel

im going to repete myself here, this is no NA motor, velocity stacks, all that kind of bullshit makes very little differance

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

you guys are all trying to over think this, this is not an NA motor, a good portion of its time is spent in boost, where velocitys, etc are not as important, mabye take for example the intake manifold on a 7mgte, tb faces a wall right away, no problems there, people still make upwards of 600whp on them
    Not to dispute what you're saying because I agree, but it's because they have sexy flowing heads.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

and velocity stacks! machined floors! LOL, when is the last time you cut apart an intake manifold from any boosted car, you tell me wich have velocity stacks and machined floors, because none of the ones i have ever cut apart have them.

mabye i should even refrence to old v8's, where the carb is generally 5" away from the floor of the intake manifold, and this is a fuel/air charge, not just fuel

im going to repete myself here, this is no NA motor, velocity stacks, all that kind of bullshit makes very little differance
    I have to agree, I am not an engineer but that makes sense. I can't see how tuning will make any different when you've got the hammer down and 30 psi of boost is forcing its way into the intake.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    It has been proven time and time again outside of the TD world that a free flowing tract into the plenum area creates more equal distribution and less pressure drop.

On vehicles such as most of ours that don't have the capabilities of tuning each individual cylinder this is a big issue. The volume is nice, but a better transition into the plenum box is critical.

Having said that, you'll still see a large improvement over the stock piece, but there is still room to improve if you so desire.
    AM
    agreed, its a nice piece of quick fab work , I like it...

and thats because the 7mgte has a "symetrical" plenum /tbody..i.e
    no turn (and hence less chance for pressure drop)from body to plenum

and you probably will never see one...that costs money, however F1 uses them exclusively...

lol..yeah carbs needed to be that close to some kind of "device " to promote
    even a small modicum of fuel atomization..having said that...I was startled by the performance improvement the first time I added a 1" spacer below a carb to increase "plenum" area....and decrease pressure drop

please....with all due courtesy....Hillborn fuel injection (circa 1968??)
    for small block v/8's had velocity stacks....

opinions submited with respects to all...
    If ye love wealth better than Liberty, The tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from Us in peace, We ask not your counsel or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget you were Our countrymen. -Samuel Adams.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast