Thread: 05 Neon ATX No Start

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

05 Neon ATX No Start

My wife's 05 Neon wouldn't start tonight. It turns over just fine and I can hear the FP priming in a normal fashion. I only get a code 0522, which is not surprising since the low oil light will come on occasionally, but it goes out when you turn the car off and restart it.

Any ideas? I'm thinking spark?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Re: 05 Neon ATX No Start

See if you've got spark and see if your injectors are firing. If you don't have either, cam or crank sensor is next. For $25, I'd toss in a cam sensor. In the 13 years I had mine, I replaced the cam sensor twice.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    See if you've got spark and see if your injectors are firing. If you don't have either, cam or crank sensor is next. For $25, I'd toss in a cam sensor. In the 13 years I had mine, I replaced the cam sensor twice.
    I've replaced my cam sensor a couple times now, but it's always thrown a code. I'll report back tomorrow after I check for spark and fuel at the injectors. The closest thing I could find to this so far on youtube ended up being the computer.

Well, I'm happy that I have some age and experience under my belt today. I don't like to throw parts at things, but I replaced the coil in the car because the spark looked a little weak. The plugs had some fuel on them and it took quite a bit for the car to fire up after coil replacement. I had to go as low as the pedal would go while allowing for the car to fire up in order to blow the fuel off the plugs. The car has started twice on its own now and I'll be replacing the plugs in a few minutes. I'll report back with my findings.

The one thing I'm left wondering is why the car wouldn't throw a code for a misfire? I guess the coil just got weak enough to not even try to start out of nowhere? This is an odd one and I really hope it was the coil and not some other crazy electrical issue somewhere.