Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 85 L-body Connector ID

  1. #1
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Englewood, FL
    Posts
    868

    85 L-body Connector ID

    Hey everyone...after a 5 year hiatus and while my Evo is at the paint shop and my E30 is awaiting parts...I pulled the GLH out of the corner and decided to give it some love. But...its been 5 years so I'm learning it all over again. I'm really hoping to get the harness installed and a new fuel tank/pump, and it should be able to start, in theory!

    If I could get any assistance with some plug identification...

    For reference, I have an 85 GLH-T T1 harness and an 86 GLHS T2 engine/LM going into an 85 GLH carb car.


    1. are there separate mini harnesses for the TPS/AIS, the CTS/Distributor/Oil Pressure/etc, and the Distance Sensor/VSS? If so, I think I'm missing them and I will buy them if you have them.


    2. Can you identify the plugs in the following photo (near the PM/Battery). A, B, C, D. From what I can gather from diagrams, A = CTS/Distributor/etc., B = Distance sensor on trans C and D I don't know.






    3. Same for A, B. A = Throttle body harness? B = ? (comes from bulkhead connector and splits to another similar connector that comes out on the passenger side...black wire)






    4. Same again for A, B by the passenger firewall by the strut tower.






    5. Same on this one, A, B (in front of right shock tower). The plugs in the top right look like they get fuses?





    I apologize for my ignorance and thank everyone in advance for any help. The wiring diagrams I have are helpful, but are limited in identifying this stuff. If anyone is in the Southwest Florida area and wouldn't mind lending a hand...I'd be glad to get you dinner, some beers, whatever, for some in person insight. Lol.
    Last edited by strang3majik; 11-27-2019 at 12:41 AM.

  2. #2
    Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tuscola, IL
    Posts
    19,821

    Re: 85 L-body Connector ID

    5 a. is the horn if I'm not mistaken, while B is the diagnostic connector. The fuse looking things are for the solenoids.

    4 I think is AC stuff.

    I think 3 a is where the TPS and AIS plug into. I'm not positive, but if that two way connector is black and black with blue tracer, that's for the fog lights.

    I also think you're on the right track in the first picture, but I would have to look at my diagrams to be sure. I might scan some stuff for you in the next day or so.

  3. #3
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Englewood, FL
    Posts
    868

    Re: 85 L-body Connector ID

    Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    5 a. is the horn if I'm not mistaken, while B is the diagnostic connector. The fuse looking things are for the solenoids.

    4 I think is AC stuff.

    I think 3 a is where the TPS and AIS plug into. I'm not positive, but if that two way connector is black and black with blue tracer, that's for the fog lights.

    I also think you're on the right track in the first picture, but I would have to look at my diagrams to be sure. I might scan some stuff for you in the next day or so.

    That makes sense...and okay...the vacuum solenoids. Looks like I need those as well. Lol 4 may be A/C stuff, I found something similar on another diagram. What does the alternator wiring look like because I don't see that either.

    That is what I gather for 3A. I believe that may be for the foglights then, though it doesn't seem like they'd be long enough. It has been so long I honestly forget.


    Any further assistance you can offer I would be greatly appreciative of. This, for the most part, is all that is standing in the way of this car starting for the first time in 10 years. Haha.



    I do have a few diagrams but not every plug is highlighted, just the ones I mentioned. These are the ones I have.











  4. #4
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Albany Wisconsin
    Posts
    752

    Re: 85 L-body Connector ID

    AIS/TPS on my 85 Charger are weathertite plugs with green rubber pleated seals. I don't have spares, sorry. I have spare solenoids. But if you are not keeping emissions stuff you won't need the EGR and Purge solenoids. If you are going to have the ECM control boost you will need the wastegate solenoid and the map solenoid. On my car they are from left to right, the egr being closest to the fender well on the passenger side.
    Last edited by jeff1234; 11-27-2019 at 11:26 PM.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

  5. #5
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Exmore, Va. USA
    Posts
    394

    Re: 85 L-body Connector ID

    If you can't sort them out I still have my 1985 FSM set and can look in them.
    "growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional"
    1986 Lebaron convertible to replace totalled 85
    1986 Ford F350 Crew Cab DRW
    1995 Lincoln Continental (project car)
    2011 Ford Flex Limited (wife's)

  6. #6
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Englewood, FL
    Posts
    868

    Re: 85 L-body Connector ID

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    AIS/TPS on my 85 Charger are weathertite plugs with green rubber pleated seals. I don't have spares, sorry. I have spare solenoids. But if you are not keeping emissions stuff you won't need the EGR and Purge solenoids. If you are going to have the ECM control boost you will need the wastegate solenoid and the map solenoid. On my car they are from left to right, the egr being closest to the fender well on the passenger side.

    I'm definitely not going to keep the emissions stuff, but the other two will be needed. It seems for the AIS/TPS, there is a separate mini harness...its simple enough I could always make one, I suppose. Lol


    Quote Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
    If you can't sort them out I still have my 1985 FSM set and can look in them.
    I think I may have it figured out...or...more so I realized I'm missing some pieces that plug into the harness. But thank you.

  7. #7
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Dr. Johny Dodge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,341

    Re: 85 L-body Connector ID

    what do you think eliminating the egr and purge solenoids will actually accomplish on a log motor ?

    if you put that modding effort into the TII conversion the egr is deleted by default
    purge and charcoal canister are your friends
    they simply keep your hard earned cash from evaporating into thin air

    deleting charcoal canisters is something rednecks do in the '70's

  8. #8
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Englewood, FL
    Posts
    868

    Re: 85 L-body Connector ID

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    what do you think eliminating the egr and purge solenoids will actually accomplish on a log motor ?

    if you put that modding effort into the TII conversion the egr is deleted by default
    purge and charcoal canister are your friends
    they simply keep your hard earned cash from evaporating into thin air

    deleting charcoal canisters is something rednecks do in the '70's
    I'm installing a T2 GLHS engine.

    The charcoal canister contents turned to mush and gummed up the fuel system and carburetor (since it sat from 1992-2008) which is a good part of the reason the car is getting swapped to FI/turbo since I got tired of messing with it...so the charcoal canister went in the dumpster almost 10 years ago along with the original carburetor.

  9. #9
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Albany Wisconsin
    Posts
    752

    Re: 85 L-body Connector ID

    I looked at my Charger last night, and you are correct. The throttle body harness is a mini that plugs into the main one. Let me know if you want further information.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

  10. #10
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Exmore, Va. USA
    Posts
    394

    Re: 85 L-body Connector ID

    Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    I'm definitely not going to keep the emissions stuff, but the other two will be needed. It seems for the AIS/TPS, there is a separate mini harness...its simple enough I could always make one, I suppose. Lol




    I think I may have it figured out...or...more so I realized I'm missing some pieces that plug into the harness. But thank you.
    I have a piece I cut off of a 1991 Shadow 2.5L T1 the 3 and 4 pin plugs for the throttle body (TPS & AIS), if you have a good picture of the mating plug/socket I have a load of spare bits including some new repair parts.
    "growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional"
    1986 Lebaron convertible to replace totalled 85
    1986 Ford F350 Crew Cab DRW
    1995 Lincoln Continental (project car)
    2011 Ford Flex Limited (wife's)

Similar Threads

  1. 12 pin connector
    By errol in forum Parts Wanted
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2017, 01:13 PM
  2. TPS Connector
    By SpoolinGLH in forum Electrical & Fuel System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 04:08 PM
  3. Turbos/Intercoolers Stock BOV connector
    By denviola in forum Parts Wanted
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-11-2008, 12:02 PM
  4. Need 60 pin connector
    By John B in forum Parts Wanted
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2006, 02:45 AM
  5. What connector is this for?
    By 85LEBARON in forum Electrical & Fuel System
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-25-2006, 01:44 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •