Thread: What paint? 84 Garnet red

Garrett booster

What paint? 84 Garnet red

Looking to do a repaint on my 84 Laser. Its Garnet red and silver. Not doing it myself,looking for thoughts. Car is not a daily,but not being redone as a show car either.It wont be spending its life in the sun other than car show, track days ect, otherwise it will be inside. Should I go with the original single stage paint job or should I go with a base coat clear coat? Any recommendations on a brand of paint i should ask for to be used?

turbo addict

Re: What paint? 84 Garnet red

orig paint IS base/clear ...

silver is likely chrysler's "radiant silver" same colour used on all wheels and shelby charger ground effects , entire K cars , silver = radiant silver (std go to colour for cryco)

I dono what cryco called the dark burgundy colour in the 80's
    a 75 plymouth would be "vintage red" in much the same colour

shade changes year to year with factory paint - so the correct mix for say 74 can / could / did, differ greatly from a 75 or 73

74 B5 blue is turquoise compared to 73 B5 blue so don't forget the year if you're trying to match a colour
    they changed the shades on purpose .. so peeps bring things back to the dealer to be fixed right

turbo addict

if you're looking for a red , red then remember something like an 87 shelby z , in red , actually has an orange cast to the colour that can sometimes be hard not to see

it's related to 73 rallye red (cryco) that way

that orange cast would not look nice with silver as a contrast..

turbo addict

afterthought,
    that 87 shelby z red was a non metallic paint too

it also had major issues with the clear coat's adhesion as I could have striped all the clear coat off one flake at a time with my thumb nail

my gunmetal blue car and my charcoal pearl car both just had the clear thin out / wear away until gone

a guess is one base coat is less "grippy" somehow than the other

turbo addict

As said, factory paint is base/clear. I do believe that the '84 color is in fact Garnet Red. There's different shades of it used over the years. My 90 looks to be a similar color, but it has more blue in it giving it a more purple tint and it's called Claret Red Pearl Metallic. The Garnet is more of a pure red with a slight orange tint.

The factory paints suffered adhesion issues due to the change in the paint formulas from solvent based to water based paints. ALL manufacturers had these issues until the mid 90's. Because of that, these cars need to be completely stripped and repainted in order for the new finish to be durable.

turbo addict

Chris,
    Can't remember if you have a TC or a 16v Masi engine (or both), but the TC's were painted in Italy with actual quality PPG solvent based paint, and they did not have any of the paint adhesion problems that plagued the other manufacturers. My understanding is the bodies were shipped in white, and finished in Italy.
    My 85 GLHT was hailed on in early 86. Car was completely repainted with PPG acrylic enamel with urethane Delstar clearcoat. That was 33+ years ago. Still looks great (see pic). My point is, quality of paint used had as much to do with it as anything. Use sub-par paint products and get sub-par results. Manufacturers philosophy back in the day was just need paint/body/powertrain and everything else to last long enough to get out of warranty period. Can't make vehicles too good otherwise customers won't come back in four years for another one.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0988.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	400.4 KB 
ID:	64482  

1984 Laser-Garnet Pearl coat, paint code #CR6, PPG Ditzler code 3633. (base/clear).That paint was solvent based and very hard to match.
    wont matter if you are refinishing the entire car.
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 11-23-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    if you're looking for a red , red then remember something like an 87 shelby z , in red , actually has an orange cast to the colour that can sometimes be hard not to see

it's related to 73 rallye red (cryco) that way.
    87 PR5 called Graphic Red or also referred to California Red and actually contain Orange pigment. My car is PR5.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

throwin' it out there

if someone were to paint a white interior and find the white too harsh
    the solution is mix a second batch of white and put 3 not 4 DRIPS of green in it...from your basic eyedropper - more will start a "cast" of that green to appear

just that little pigment can completely change the final effect of the paint

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    1984 Laser-Garnet Pearl coat, paint code #CR6, PPG Ditzler code 3633. That paint was solvent based and very hard to match.
    wont matter if you are refinishing the entire car.
    ^^ there ya go ..
    if you can find some more pics of Warren's car they might be useful for painting reference
    a buddy's first car was the exact same red over silver 84 as his , or possibly as you describe your's

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Chris,
    Can't remember if you have a TC or a 16v Masi engine (or both), but the TC's were painted in Italy with actual quality PPG solvent based paint, and they did not have any of the paint adhesion problems that plagued the other manufacturers. My understanding is the bodies were shipped in white, and finished in Italy.
    My 85 GLHT was hailed on in early 86. Car was completely repainted with PPG acrylic enamel with urethane Delstar clearcoat. That was 33+ years ago. Still looks great (see pic). My point is, quality of paint used had as much to do with it as anything. Use sub-par paint products and get sub-par results. Manufacturers philosophy back in the day was just need paint/body/powertrain and everything else to last long enough to get out of warranty period. Can't make vehicles too good otherwise customers won't come back in four years for another one.
    Todd
    I have both. The TC that I drove to Memphis had several non-stock paint coats on it as I have found while doing the body work. TC's have the PPG paint information on the hood up by the windshield on a little placard. I don't have the code memorized (shame on me), but the name of the color is Royal Cabernet.

My '90 Daytona's paint was great all the way up until I used a clay bar on it! When mom bought it new she had a sealer put on the paint. Took the car overseas, brought it back...still looked great. Dumb --- me thought I was going a good thing by clay baring the entire car...took off the sealant and not even a year and a half later the clear coat started fading. And I took IMMACULATE car of that car at the time! Now the color is "patina"