Thread: Decent price for chrysler laser?

Mitsu booster

Decent price for chrysler laser?

Looking at joining turbo mopar club! I'm looking at a 1984 chrysler laser turbo XE. Body is in outstanding shape, maroon with red cloth interior...not a fan of the interior but I can overlook it. 120k miles with a manual transmission. Asking price is $3000. Seems high as NADA ranges from 800-1900. He said it's running very rich but other than it's good. Was just curious to see what you guys thought a fair price to offer is as I cant find anyone others for sale to compare it to.

turbo addict

Re: Decent price for chrysler laser?

IMO stay away from the 84's. They're a one year only wiring setup and boost control setup. If you're planning or thinking of upping the power their harder to do because of it.

Mitsu booster

No plans to upgrade much in the near future. Maybe a T2 conversion after a while? I guess I gotta buy it first though....I think somewhere around 1500 is what I would pay for it if the seller would go down.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    IMO stay away from the 84's. They're a one year only wiring setup and boost control setup. If you're planning or thinking of upping the power their harder to do because of it.
    I would tend to agree. There is so much on the 84 cars that's 84 specific I don't think I would be up to own one, but that's me. Heck, didn't the 84s still have the pivot point for the shift linkage on the K frame rather than the trans? That's the worst of all possible worlds.

I'd be in for 800-1K, but that's it. Note that I'm cheap. IMO, 3K should still fetch a very nice G body car of any vintage.

Mitsu booster

Just went and looked at it. Its definitely spewing some gas out of the exhaust. Oil dipstick also looked like it had some gas so in thinking a leaking injector? Also gauge cluster/voice notification wasnt working as was advertised. Also heater wasnt working. Interior and body were superb for a 35 year old car however. He claimed the gauges were a surprise to him and that it happened once before from a fuse blowing. I said I'd think about it and told him to try and fix the gauges and I'd check it out in a few days. He didn't necessarily shut me down at $1000 when I mentioned it.

Sounds like a $500 car to me. Gas in the oil could be any number of problems. Bad FPR, bad injector, wiring problem, etc. etc. Was it the digital cluster? I'm not an expert on the 84 Laser, but I'm not sure that would want to track down another functional unit for that, assuming it's the cluster itself. The heat doesn't work? Is it a clogged heater core? I guess you'll be able to have all the access you need for a potential under the dash wiring problem if you need to pull it for a heater core replacement.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I would tend to agree. There is so much on the 84 cars that's 84 specific I don't think I would be up to own one, but that's me. Heck, didn't the 84s still have the pivot point for the shift linkage on the K frame rather than the trans? That's the worst of all possible worlds.

I'd be in for 800-1K, but that's it. Note that I'm cheap. IMO, 3K should still fetch a very nice G body car of any vintage.
    I believe the pivot point on the K frame is only L body & only because they're rod linkage

everything else was cable

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

There should be a little black switch in the glove box to turn the voice notification on or off if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    I believe the pivot point on the K frame is only L body & only because they're rod linkage

everything else was cable
    That could be. I thought everything was rod shifted up until 83 or 84.

turbo addict

really , we need pics to offer you an opinion of any real value

mint interior and body is most important ..THAT's THE car

motor and nefarious bits are important but can be serviced and changed
    hell I bought mine on the simple word it ran .. because it sure didn't

it's got a near mint body with a rust blister on the driprail and on the edge of the hatch
    and ZERO underbody rot or rust (orig toronto car too !!)

it needs paint but has an almost perfect interior too
    I paid 25 hun.. and I think I got a screaming deal ..(turns out it runs fine too)

a turbo TII conversion in an 84 would require a swap of the entire engine and dash wiring,

and - changing the door wiring harness - the 84 door harness AIN'T gonna connect in any possible way to the newer dash harness(entire wiring "plan" changed in 85- this includes HOW the wiring fits into the car and connects

realize the 84 wiring is 100% unique to the single year

and you may even need to change out the rear body harness too
    I'm sure at the very least the connector to join the rear harness will be different

all the wiring under the carpet is likely routed differently too

and .. for giggles if installing a newer door harness into an 85/4 door you need to enlarge the hole in the front of the door for the wiring passthrough as the gromits in the door and door jam get larger

if you start with the plan to gut the electrical system to do any upgrades you're already 3/4 done the car with that simple decision..!!

otherwise it's 100% frustration