Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D printing cylinder heads ???

turbo addict

Re: 3D printing cylinder heads ???

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    When all the drawing, design work, and machine work is completed. And all you have to do is go into program software and change a dimension (bore spacing and stud layout) To me is a lot more simple task than starting from scratch.
    It's more than just the combustion chambers and the studs. The cams change, the entire structure actually changes, gaskets, valve cover, etc etc...

Garrett booster

If it's in cad/drawing already it is way easier to modify than to start from scratch. Yes a custom camshaft would need to be made its not rocket science. You would need cams made any way to work with our cam gears. Again its not rocket science, someone that knows what there doing

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

.....and all of that is in cad.

heads cams, gaskets, manifolds etc.

if someone is willing to spend the coin for a 4piston head anyway (it starts at 6000$) and do a ton of custom fab for a racecar, whats a little bit more lol.

the setup would be to get 4 piston some dodge 2.4 cad stuff and make a hybrid head that bolted on and used SRT cams and followers with the K series ports. it would probably be a one off 15k$ head but man would it perform.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    .....and all of that is in cad.

heads cams, gaskets, manifolds etc.

if someone is willing to spend the coin for a 4piston head anyway (it starts at 6000$) and do a ton of custom fab for a racecar, whats a little bit more lol.

the setup would be to get 4 piston some dodge 2.4 cad stuff and make a hybrid head that bolted on and used SRT cams and followers with the K series ports. it would probably be a one off 15k$ head but man would it perform.

Brian
    For all that work, just run a Masi head and be done with it.

Garrett booster

I've talk to pro billet about doing heads, around $3500-$4000 per head min 4. But I want to work with someone in the US. If we go with a billet head, hydraulic lifters are going out the window. There is power to be made with solid lifer design, plus no issues with lifters pumping up.

Masi head?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

https://all3dp.com/2/how-much-do-3d-...aterials-cost/

$4000-$5000 to print in metal. That does not include the cost to have 3D design made.

I've talk to pro billet about doing heads, around $3500-$4000 per head min 4. But I want to work with someone in the US. If we go with a billet head, hydraulic lifters are going out the window. There is power to be made with solid lifer design, plus no issues with lifters pumping up.

Masi head?
    The stock head on the Maserati TC with the 16V engine allegedly flows more than ported TIII heads. It is also cam on bucket, so say goodbye to lifter problems. Need to turn crazy high RPM? OK, that's not a problem either. People shy away from them due to the rarity and high cost to build one up vs. a 2.4 or TIII, but if you really want high performance, then they're where it's at.

Garrett booster

Oh ok, I dont want to change bottom ends or auto transmission. I'm happy with 2.4 aluminum long rod setup, just want to get a better port design, no more lifters, and thicker deck to prevent flex.

Oh ok, I dont want to change bottom ends or auto transmission. I'm happy with 2.4 aluminum long rod setup, just want to get a better port design, no more lifters, and thicker deck to prevent flex.
    Reverse hybrid...

turbo addict

if one wanted to make a billet head I think doing it in layers about 1-2 inches thick to create a stack that then makes up the head .. when stacked might be the "easiest" solution

bottom piece is deck surface , combustion chamber , top side of roof of combustion chamber and the floors of some of the water jacketing

second layer .. more water jacketing and port runners & valve bowls

and so on as you go up

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    The stock head on the Maserati TC with the 16V engine allegedly flows more than ported TIII heads. It is also cam on bucket, so say goodbye to lifter problems. Need to turn crazy high RPM? OK, that's not a problem either. People shy away from them due to the rarity and high cost to build one up vs. a 2.4 or TIII, but if you really want high performance, then they're where it's at.
    Parts rarity for a race engine is usually a deal breaker. Any pass could be the last pass for any given component.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

the exuberant prices of those "rare" parts doesn't help

I know I want a 16V CB crank .. but I'm not interested in paying 1000-1200 bucks for a crank no one wants to use

but for 5-6 hun ... it becomes a nice "billet" to start making a "real" crank outta... and I'd rather invest the difference into that huge bill coming from the machine shop than a guy who allows parts no one needs to collect dust
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 10-08-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    the exuberant prices of those "rare" parts doesn't help

I know I want a 16V CB crank .. but I'm not interested in paying 1000-1200 bucks for a crank no one wants to use

but for 5-6 hun ... it becomes a nice "billet" to start making a "real" crank outta... and I'd rather invest the difference into that huge bill coming from the machine shop than a guy who allows parts no one needs to collect dust
    But nobody has really found the limit of even the standard cast cranks yet.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

lol,
    well .. you work on that and I'll try to not find out what it takes to snap a 16v crank ... doing a few thousand laps .. hopefully

- I do have an acquaintance who could offer some comments on the cast cranks , ncb bottom ends and cracked blocks , if I ever see him again...
    I'd like to affect the nature of the way the car drives also as part of the "experiment" as a similar mass revolving around a smaller center should spin up and slow down much differently than the same mass over a larger radius as mass is greater the further it is from center

and I see a lot of places to hack weight off that 16v crank , almost twice as many places in fact and with lighter , stronger rods , 4 bolt caps and a common block it makes some sense to try the "premium version" of the crank too as the double weighted crank is all about reduced stresses and improved stability of the block's mains

anywho sorry for the off topic.. "back to the top.."lol

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Parts rarity for a race engine is usually a deal breaker. Any pass could be the last pass for any given component.
    No doubt. I would rather go with a Masi head than a custom made cyl. head for just that reason.

No doubt. I would rather go with a Masi head than a custom made cyl. head for just that reason.
    But with CNC, you can always make another part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

boostaholic

While I do enjoy this platform the thought of dropping $6k on a cylinder head in a car that's worth half that makes no sense.
    At some point it just makes more sense to move to a different platform.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    But with CNC, you can always make another part.

What's the replacement cost and turnaround time?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    While I do enjoy this platform the thought of dropping $6k on a cylinder head in a car that's worth half that makes no sense.
    At some point it just makes more sense to move to a different platform.
    unless the low cost of the car enables you to spend "the money" elsewhere
    we can find good cars and parts cheap - not so if you needed a cuda , challenger or road runner with a worthwhile shell , just to start
    I know I can't find anything else <<that good for the same 25hun as <<

3D printing cylinder heads ???

What's the replacement cost and turnaround time?
    Hard to tell as the part is still imaginary. But they aren’t making and new parts for 2.2 masi heads.

Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast