Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fourplay how to

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Fourplay how to

Quote Originally Posted by crusty shadow View Post
    Any updates on this? Also looking for the EEPROM for the Logic Module Fourplay. 1mb parallel eprom is what im looking for right?
    The Fourplay_R2 is a totally different beast. It is designed to use a 27SF512 chip that is removed to program using something like MPTune bin stacker.
    Four tunes for LM and only two for SMEC.
    This design is not flashable.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Hybrid booster

i know the LM setup isnt flashable, ordered a chip burner and a 10 pack of SST 512's. im building these for my buddy and his wife, they both have GLHS's, if one gets one the other will complain until they get one so i gotta build 2 lol.

i know the LM setup isnt flashable, ordered a chip burner and a 10 pack of SST 512's. im building these for my buddy and his wife, they both have GLHS's, if one gets one the other will complain until they get one so i gotta build 2 lol.
    OK great let us know how it works out.
    Regards,
    Miles

Mitsu booster

Are there only like three or four people experimenting with these setups? I actually just recently got my GLHS back up and running. My wife's might be a while. Both LMs are pre-87 dual PROM units. Crusty had said that one of these is capable of running TII electronics and the other is not, so I won't be able to run whichever one in a GLHS. If I can figure out which one can, I can test it out pretty soon. Heck I don't even know what calibrations are burned to the chips.

I've been kicking myself for not being more organized when I pulled my Charger apart. I haven't been able to find my air box and intercooler piping from it thus far.

On a different note; is the round switch board only there to house the digital switch and LED display? For all intents and purposes, could the fourplay board be switched by 5v outputs from a different controller such as a single board computer like a Raspberry Pi if someone were to want to get fancy?

-Mark

Yes the number of people are limited. A small team of us are working on a new better flashable design that works on SMEC, SBEC, SBEC2-377 and SBEC-652. We are getting close to solving the last technical hurdle. The PCB design V1.0 is now complete but will need testing before we release.
    The BB FourPlay modules use inverted logic. If a pin is connected to ground via a switch (or electronic circuit) it will change memory location. The 74HC148 is involved in this part of the circuit. So yes it can be controlled by Arduino or a Pi.
    Last edited by chromguy; 05-22-2020 at 03:40 PM.
    Regards,
    Miles

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by INSATANSSEAT View Post
    Are there only like three or four people experimenting with these setups? I actually just recently got my GLHS back up and running. My wife's might be a while. Both LMs are pre-87 dual PROM units. Crusty had said that one of these is capable of running TII electronics and the other is not, so I won't be able to run whichever one in a GLHS. If I can figure out which one can, I can test it out pretty soon. Heck I don't even know what calibrations are burned to the chips.

I've been kicking myself for not being more organized when I pulled my Charger apart. I haven't been able to find my air box and intercooler piping from it thus far.

On a different note; is the round switch board only there to house the digital switch and LED display? For all intents and purposes, could the fourplay board be switched by 5v outputs from a different controller such as a single board computer like a Raspberry Pi if someone were to want to get fancy?

-Mark
    I burned a Turbonator stage 1 cal to each address location on both chips just to get each running.

I burned a Turbonator stage 1 cal to each address location on both chips just to get each running.
    the mpscilink board has a number of 5v digital pins available........ obviously you would need to put your "normal" cal in the default location in case the external 5v went down.

- - - Updated - - -

btw, we are now successfully programming the new "universal" 4 play flash board using the 39sf010 chip. woohoo. more to come.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

The cat is out of the bag.....LOL
    Regards,
    Miles

oops, i hate cats.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    oops, i hate cats.
    Not me, my cats like to help me in my electronics workshop and in the garage.
    Regards,
    Miles

Hybrid booster

Cats get rid of mice. Snakes do a pretty good job too

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

- - - Updated - - -

btw, we are now successfully programming the new "universal" 4 play flash board using the 39sf010 chip. woohoo. more to come.
    Wow, that is great news! Does that mean MPTune itself will soon be able to work with the 39sf010?

yes, we are using mptune to id, erase, flash and read the 39sf010 chip. i just need to do a little more testing on it yet and some tweaks to mptune to handle the new programming routines.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

yes, we are using mptune to id, erase, flash and read the 39sf010 chip. i just need to do a little more testing on it yet and some tweaks to mptune to handle the new programming routines.
    Nice progress! Thank you guys for working on this.

Hybrid booster

I managed to get ahold of some atmel 28c010's really cheap on ebay, actually ordered them 3 months ago before all this virus crap, finally showed up yesterday, $13 for 3 chips was a much more acceptable price then 43 for one. swapped one out, only question now is , how do i compile the 4 different bins into one? bin stacker only allows 2 32k bins..

yep, need to do some updating on that program!!

I managed to get ahold of some atmel 28c010's really cheap on ebay, actually ordered them 3 months ago before all this virus crap, finally showed up yesterday, $13 for 3 chips was a much more acceptable price then 43 for one. swapped one out, only question now is , how do i compile the 4 different bins into one? bin stacker only allows 2 32k bins..
    I assume you can do this is any hex editor as a Manual process. Morris, it this correct?
    Regards,
    Miles

an easy way is to compile the 4 tpl files you want and then from a dos prompt:

copy /b file1.bin + file2.bin + file3.bin + file4.bin newfile.bin

then burn newfile.bin to the 128k chip using your chip burner/ostrich/etc.

obviously make sure each bin is a 32k bin file.

Hybrid booster

an easy way is to compile the 4 tpl files you want and then from a dos prompt:

copy /b file1.bin + file2.bin + file3.bin + file4.bin newfile.bin

then burn newfile.bin to the 128k chip using your chip burner/ostrich/etc.

obviously make sure each bin is a 32k bin file.
    So you dont use MPTune to flash the fourplay smec? im confused here...

i have not tested the 28c010 to see if it is compatible with the existing boost button flash routines. i think miles indicated in an earlier post that the BB 4play cannot be flashed other than using a chip burner(?). i do not have a BB 4play and have never used one so i'm not much help. as noted below, i believe our existing ecu's are limited to an onboard flashing size of 32k.

the 39sf010 (128kbytes capacity) will be able to flash up to 64k at a time in the ecu supports it. however, that would typically only be needed for some of the later sbec2 ecus that had bins in the 59.5k range. so, e.g if you are running the typical 32k bin you can flip the switch to location 1 and burn your first 32k, flip to the second location and burn another 32k, etc. i do not see modifying the flashing program to handle more than 64k at a time since it adds a bit more complexity with our 16bit processor routines (if it can be done at all). external burners aren't limited like that and in fact on my arduino setup (and my 3rd party burner) where i controlled ALL the address lines i could burn all 128k at one time. it appears that on most of the ecus we are looking at that the a15 address line is not used purely as an address line but as a chip enable toggle. miles will have to confirm/clarify that.

previously mptune was only setup to burn 32k bins at one time, and in fact i think most of Rob L's flashing routines had that limit hard coded in them (easy enough to change if we need to).

onboard flashing of the 28c010 will be limited to the same degree as the 39sf010. with the universal 4 play flash module i don't see a need to use the bin stacker again, unless using LM 16k bins which will require the old BB 4 play modules.

now are you really confused?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast