Thread: ideas on long term MTX storage

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

ideas on long term MTX storage

I am looking for ideas for long term MTX storage. Currently they are in my unheated garage. My current procedure is to place 1.75" plugs sealed with RTV in the diff axle seals and overfill with 10W30 oil. Once a year, I take them off the shelf and turn the MTX upside down a few times to coat everything with Oil.
    Do you think this is good enough? I was thinking I could fill with heavy gear Oil.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

Re: ideas on long term MTX storage

More than I do! LOL I might stuff plugs in the axle seals...maybe shop towels. They go on a moving dolly and shoved in a corner until I need it! I figure that they've been run, so everything is coated in oil already. I know I'm going to probably take it apart and inspect it before I use it, so any little bit of surface rust that *might* pop up gets wiped off.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

If it’s on a shelf in a clean, dry garage, it should be fine as is. I spray down the innards of rebuilds with Sta-Bil engine fogger just to keep a coat of oil on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    I spray down the innards of rebuilds with Sta-Bil engine fogger just to keep a coat of oil on it.
    OK I can see that working well.
    Regards,
    Miles

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I just keep mine in a dry spot. I've found that the oil from the trans is more than enough to keep the gears clean and rust free.

turbo addict

the trans you got from me could probably use a spritz of rust check in the pass side axle hole

and I mean rust check .. so it WILL dissolve anything that might have already started to "age"

(six moths soaking in rustcheck fixed a seized rare holley 830 spread bore throttle plate for me)

it went some time without an axle in that side of the car while stored .. probably went into my turbo z .?

Hybrid booster

I keep mine full. spray some WB 40 on it. and close them inside big yard trash bags.. 3-4 over lapping bags.
    and a bag of desiccant in with it.. same way i store heads and turbos and blocks.
    https://www.amazon.com/500gm-Large-T...gateway&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/Interteck-Pac...ateway&sr=8-14

The bag of desiccant is a good idea.
    Regards,
    Miles

turbo addict

if your garage goes from cold to warm enough to work in , a lot then a separate weather proof storage shed or "job box" would be a good idea as everything collects condensation when you warm the place up from ice cold

before I insulated my garage I had the insolation stacked six feet out from the wall (remnants from construction buddy)
    - the layer closest to the wall was solid ice till spring - which all came from the air in the room

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    if your garage goes from cold to warm enough to work in , a lot then a separate weather proof storage shed or "job box" would be a good idea as everything collects condensation when you warm the place up from ice cold
    Yup Have one!!!
    Regards,
    Miles

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I'd suggest something besides regular trash bags, maybe construction plastic or a bag made of similar material, plug any holes exposed to the air, and slap some cosmoline (https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosm...SABEgJvqPD_BwE) on any externally exposed ferrous metal (especially the input splines.

This assumes truly long-term storage. I hosed down a block I had machined and honed with WD and wrapped it in trash bags since I didn't have an immediate use for it, but when I went to move it (along with the rest of the stuff in the garage), I found that the bags had degraded/fused to the block and it was covered in light rust... Savable , but not in the "just put it together" condition it got put away in...

It also a good idea to get it off the ground a bit in the event of a spill, or other water intrusion, at a minimum put it on a 2x4.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    I'd suggest something besides regular trash bags, maybe construction plastic or a bag made of similar material, plug any holes exposed to the air, and slap some cosmoline (https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosm...SABEgJvqPD_BwE) on any externally exposed ferrous metal (especially the input splines
    Mike
    Thank Mike,
    I also like Cosmoline 342. I have two blocks in Ultra long storage mode with 1/8" coating inside and out. It is a significant effort if you want to disassemble any unit for full coverage.
    Regards,
    Miles

turbo addict

a pulley on the ceiling, a winch,, a hand truck, and a 50 gallon barrel full of the oil of your choice - should survive until the alien archaeologists show up in 300 million years...

seriously though , to much discussion , simply put a can of rust check into it and bag it loosely with a couple of clear leaf bags

and don't tien them up
    you only need to shield things from the air circulating in the space that brings moisture with it to collect on the parts
    baged loosely this won't happen as the "fresh" air won't reach the part.. but the part can still "breathe" and any moisture in the bag could be vented

desiccant bags used indoors in a sealed package are fine
    but out in the garage they will need baking in the oven every week or so to dry them again - properly , unless your garage only opens once in a while
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 09-26-2019 at 01:07 PM.