Thread: small block twin turbo

small block twin turbo

Hi guys Im new to this forum

I am gathering parts for a 340 build at the moment, and i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any US companies making custom turbo grinds for the small block?

Also I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of T04's and was curious if anyone has done this yet and has any recommendations on turbo size.

thanks cue340

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Re: small block twin turbo

If you don't get a response, keep trying as this is generally unchartered waters for the majority of people here(inline-4s). But, turbocharging my '67 Barracuda is definately something down the road AFTER the 440 swap goes successfully

How close would a nitrous or supercharged cam work? I know there are blowers for the LA smallblocks so I would assume the cam would be fairly the same. But, if it were me and you got no response from people that have "been there...done that" you may just have to call a cam company of your choice. (comp cams)
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Hybrid booster

http://www.camshaftinnovations.com/Default.htm Jay has a large following in the turbo ford circle & I've talked to him a few times about my TT R3 project that is about 3 times more complicated than a standard s/b project. Comp will also make you anything you want also has a lot of profiles that Ken Duttweiler has came up with with.The issue with the lifter size (.903) used to be problem when using other than mopar style lobes but most everyone that makes cams has figured that out. also try here http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?board=21.0 They have a mopar section & most of the info translates pretty well to any engine..Dave
    Last edited by Millerman340; 10-25-2006 at 10:14 PM.

Directconnection
    thanks Ill keep at it. sounds like a cool project in a light car, good recipe! :P

Millerman340 cheers for that I'll email Jay at camshaftinnovations and see what info/products he can supply
    ill also have a read of the turbomustangs site for any info.
    TT R3 awesome, what sort of power are you looking for? have you selected your turbos yet?

Thanks again guys
    cue340

Hybrid booster

Ex Evernham racing craftsman truck Siamese bore R3 block ,W9 heads 50mm cam, Kryptonite 180* crank. I'm leaning towards a pair off sc61's Should push 1200 easy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005_0604r30013.JPG 
Views:	1099 
Size:	423.3 KB 
ID:	2376   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005_0210180crank0001.JPG 
Views:	318 
Size:	393.0 KB 
ID:	2377  

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

You could probably get away with using a simple mild RV/Towing grind...
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Not really practicle to use an RV cam, as I am down under in australia. The cost of freight rules out any trail and error, I want to make sure I get the right cam first time.
    Also I would have thought that an RV cam would have more lift and not much extra duration over stock, and my understanding of a turbo grind is that they dont like much lift at all.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cue340 View Post
    and my understanding of a turbo grind is that they dont like much lift at all.
    You got to be joking ,right? They like as much lift that your heads can handle,They do not like allot of overlap .They like wide lobe sep. (112-115) even more so with big duration #'s .Also the opening & closing events are even different from a supercharged or nitrous cams. (If you want a great engine vs a ok one)...Dave.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Well what kind of power are you looking for? Ash had a similar small block here but it was a chevy with high compression and methanol and he was from Austraila. We had him go for T3/T04E 60trim turbos. He maxed those things out with well over a 1000hp!!!

What kind of power are you looking to make?
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

thanks Millerman340 to avoid overlap on a forced induction motor makes a lot of sense. I was obviously misinformed.

Frank. Im looking for around 700hp, here is what i have so far
    340 block
    edelbrock 340 heads
    m1 sinlge plain

and fuel will be EFI (megasquirt/EDIS8)

Dang... thats only like 13psi! Child's play! hehehehe

Naw, that is sweet man. 700hp actually should be pretty simple and because you are at like 2.72 liters per turbo, you actually move beyond that invisible line that effects us... the line that causes us to have bad turbo availability when trying to cross the 400whp range without making it a full race car.

Lucky for you, you can pick like 5 different similar size turbos in one line up and they would all work for you. I think the best bet is to get a full out T04E 50trim with just a standard StageI .63a/r. The 57trim would work, but it doesnt line up well with the efficency islands. That thing would spool fast and still allow lots of expansion to run it up to near 1000whp.
    Frank Katzenberger

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Cool thats great, I was thinking about a pair of gt30's. Are these about the same size as the T04E?

if i built this engine to 700 hp spec and then changed the induction to support 1000hp. would the cam need to be changed?

oh there are some magmun extractors on ebay down here that i could easily convert to feed the turbos.
    Will they bolt right up to la Heads? or are there differences in the flange?

cheers
    cue

Well I dont know about part availabilities, however what I do know is that building an engine to a 700hp spec and then doing charged induction doesnt really mix. Partly because everything for the most part is tailored to the N/A which is different. I honestly would roll with a stock cam first. Once you hit the dyno and truely see the power band, then you can go with a cam. THis is pretty key... cam is always last.

I honestly would waste your money on a GT30R's... unless you really do plan on going all out 900+whp. Either case, Chris W can get you the sized turbo you want.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cue340 View Post
    oh there are some magmun extractors on ebay down here that i could easily convert to feed the turbos.
    Will they bolt right up to la Heads? or are there differences in the flange?

cheers
    cue
    The magnum manifolds will bolt to the LA heads But it depends on what body you are using as to how much room you'll have & they face down.

sorry i meant a 700hp build with turbos.....but cool yep I understand what you mean and I like that idea, I also have a stock E55 cam here I will give it a try

Pipes cool they will fit , yeah guard clearance many prove to be an issue but what the heck ill have a try....they will be fitted the wrong way round...IE right on left and left on right to feed the turbos, so that will help....

thanks again guys

This might get you motivated.

Frank Katzenberger

mother of god!!

That looks awesome.

What would the max with you just went with a single TO4b from a diesel? My engine would be a 360.

Ya Chris was showing that off a while ago.... he supplied the turbos for it... Can't blame him. I wish I owned that car!
    Frank Katzenberger