Thread: OSTRICH WITH LM please help!

Garrett booster

OSTRICH WITH LM please help!

Hey guys, I am tuning my 87 lebaron with a logic module. In the past i have always done it the long way with moates burn2 burner but i really want to do some finer tuning and save some time so i finally splurged and purchased moates ostrich burner with ribbon cable. i have downloaded emutility and everything is working fine but when i load my bin file to that program everything looks fine and it monitors and reads it just fine but i have the 28 pin connector hooked up into my LM ribbon side down and tried robbon side up but my LM does seem to run the program through ostrich. my knowledge on this machine is that the ribbon connects directly to the LM and you load the .bin file to monitor it and while your running MPTune and making changes everything should happen on the fly as you save. but since i hooked up the ribbon 28pin connector to my LM my car doesnt even start - the fuel pump doesnt even turn. am i missing something? does this ostrich not actually work with a logic module.... maybe I have to socket a different chip in my LM? help!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: OSTRICH WITH LM please help!

the ostrich works just fine with the LM.

did you install the appropriate FTDI drivers?

if you plug in the ostrich and the drivers are loaded, MPTune will automatically recognize the ostrich pretty much.

then you make your tune, compile and flash. if you change the settings, it will auto update.

double check the orientation of the ostrich ribbon cable too.

there are also some small switches on the ostrich too. double check those to make sure you dont have them set for a larger chip. i think thats what they are for.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    the ostrich works just fine with the LM.

did you install the appropriate FTDI drivers?

if you plug in the ostrich and the drivers are loaded, MPTune will automatically recognize the ostrich pretty much.

then you make your tune, compile and flash. if you change the settings, it will auto update.

double check the orientation of the ostrich ribbon cable too.

there are also some small switches on the ostrich too. double check those to make sure you dont have them set for a larger chip. i think thats what they are for.

Brian

Thanks Brian, never realized the switches on the ostrich. I will give that a go. I do have the proper drivers because EmUtility recognizes the ostrich right away so that should be all that matters for the rivers correct? You mentioned that I also flash. In the past it was just compile then I壇 burn onto the chip, now you池e saying I should flash as well then the ostrich should monitor the change?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

if the ostrich is set up properly then when you start mptune it should be noted on the bottom left of the screen. when you modify a bin file or compile a template (tpl) file the ostrich should be updated automatically for you. you can also change a program setting in mptune to have all modifications to a bin file table be immediately updated to the ostrich vs waiting to save the bin file as a separate step. you do not need to use the ostrich emutility program. mptune replaces that.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    if the ostrich is set up properly then when you start mptune it should be noted on the bottom left of the screen. when you modify a bin file or compile a template (tpl) file the ostrich should be updated automatically for you. you can also change a program setting in mptune to have all modifications to a bin file table be immediately updated to the ostrich vs waiting to save the bin file as a separate step. you do not need to use the ostrich emutility program. mptune replaces that.
    ok so i tried everything noted above, still wont work. both emutility and mptune recognize the ostrich is found which is good. ive tried compiling and flashing both bin and tpl files, tried both positions of the ribbon end that plugs into the lm and tried moving the switches on the ostrich around - still no cal is loading into my lm.....wtf.

two things to ask: which position is correct for the chip to go into the lm: ribbon facing 2 lm terminals or ribbon facing away?
    which switch position is right for the 16k cals on the ostrich. theres two switches that both go left and right.

if i can at least get those two things right then maybe thats a start...

all of the chips on the LM have a notch at one end indicating the location of pin 1.

the chip would have a notch at the same end as the other chips.

the red stripe on the ostrich ribbon cable goes where that notch would be if a chip were installed there.

make sure emutility is not running and the ostrich is plugged into the pc. start MPTune. look at the bottom and see if it says something like "ostrich found on port X" where "X" is the com port number that the ostrich is attached to in windows device manager.

the switches get set to 28 pin mode.

i believe it should be in this position. id have to go look at mine to confirm which i can do later.

even with everything set to automatically update the ostrich in mptune, i would still manually compile a rom and flash the ostrich with it manually to rule out bugs since you are having issues.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

you can also manually update the ostrich with emutility i believe. the rom should be written to the ostrich from C000 to FFFF memorly location for an LM.

also, the ostrich can get goofed up and needs a reset sometimes.

this page is how to reset it.

http://support.moates.net/troublesho...reset-utility/

Garrett booster

well thanks brian, I did that reset and now its working! finally. now to start tuning...since you seem to know what your talking about let me pick your brain. car idles super rich. I have 72lb injectors. it also cruises rich the second I tap on the gas it shoots to 10.0 a/f. boost and full fuel I can adjust accordingly to make it work fine but idle and cruise I run super rich. any thoughts what I should be adjusting?

did you scale the tune for 72lb injectors i assume?

you can do one of two things.

you can lower the pumping efficiency table overall until it idles and drives properly.

or you can scale for a larger injector size than 72lb (like 75-78lb) until it idles and cruises within reasonable limits.

generally i like to rescale for a different injector size until it idles ok and then start tuning from there.

then lower the boost as low as it will go.

then do full throttle pulls against the brakes to slow everything down and adjust the pumping efficiency table so that the overall rev range is within reason for air fuel (11.5:1) and then start slowly upping the boost and adjust FuelFullThrottle if needed.

also, make sure you reduce timing after 14psi in both advancefrommapwarmpart and advancefrommapwarmfull so that you dont have knock issues.

also above 5psi, i like to make FuelPartThrottle match the values for FuelFullThrottle for safety.

Brian

Garrett booster

Thanks Brian. Spent a few hours running today and got idle, cruise, boost all damn near perfect. I知 happy with where the tune is at. I知 still rich when I知 cruising then let go of the throttle I go rich, but once I come to a stop I get back in the 13s. Odd but I値l live with it. I found those two timing tables you had mentioned. What do I set them at?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by LeBaronMike View Post
    I知 still rich when I知 cruising then let go of the throttle I go rich, but once I come to a stop I get back in the 13s.
    If WOT, adjust the FuelFullThrottle.
    If on throttle but NOT WOT, adjust the FuelPartThrottle.
    If no throttle input, adjust the FuelBaseLineFromMap

Quote Originally Posted by LeBaronMike View Post
    I found those two timing tables you had mentioned. What do I set them at?
    Depends.
    What map sensor are you running?
    What type of fuel?
    How are you monitor knocks?