Thread: Walbro 255 Fuel Pump into 86 GLHS

Mitsu booster

Walbro 255 Fuel Pump into 86 GLHS

In the middle of my '86 GLHS fuel pump replacement. I have a few questions and want to make sure I'm not screwing things up too badly.

Here is a gallery of photos detailing my questions:

https://imgur.com/gallery/wrVOznQ

An overview of the questions:
    1.) The original rubber gasket melted to my fuel pump. Do I need to replace that or is it fine with the new white plastic piece in the last picture?

2.) Am I putting the new pump together correctly?

3.) There is a melted piece of hose near the bottom of my harness. What is it, and how Do I replace it?

Thanks!

Bryan

turbo addict

Re: Walbro 255 Fuel Pump into 86 GLHS

Ewwww, rust!!!

How's the inside of the fuel tank look? If it looks as rusty as the hanger, change the tank and get a new hanger.

The fuel pump parts you have is for a later L body.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,10147

Mitsu booster

Deal. I’ll order the Airtex in your link to grab a new hanger assembly.

Think I could just clean out the inside of the tank without having to order a new one? Maybe some soap and specialized cleaners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bryan6376 View Post
    Deal. I’ll order the Airtex in your link to grab a new hanger assembly.

Think I could just clean out the inside of the tank without having to order a new one? Maybe some soap and specialized cleaners?

Thin about the cost of a new tank vs. the hassle of having to pull the tank down and clean everything two or three times. Given the condition of that hanger, I would order a new tank, and I'm pretty darn cheap...

Mitsu booster

Fair point. Any idea if the 86 GLHS tanks are the same size as the traditional 86 omni tanks? I really just didn't want to have to drop the tank due to laziness

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bryan6376 View Post
    Fair point. Any idea if the 86 GLHS tanks are the same size as the traditional 86 omni tanks? I really just didn't want to have to drop the tank due to laziness

I don't know if they're the exact same unit as the NA cars received, but they're the same as the GLH Turbo tanks for sure. Make sure you thoroughly clean, and use a penetrating oil on the studs which hang the tank. They'll break very easily if you have rusted studs there.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

My understanding is that the diff between tanks (turbo/NA), and this may have become a production change, is that the turbo tanks have the "anti-slosh" dish inside them.

They had to do that as the dish won't go in through the openings, it's just a plastic piece meant to hold fuel at the sock during (momentary) high-G turns, no replacement for an actual surge tank, but got the job done.

+++ on replacing the tank based on the hanger. If this were a one-of-a-kind tank, yeah, it can be fixed, but it's not worth the effort given the cost of a new one, IMHO.

Also, I'm curious about where (location/brand) you get your fuel, as the rubber looks melted much like the factor fuel line in my 86 GLHt once CA changed over to the latest "reformulated" fuel. Also, part of that reformulation was the addition of Ethel Alcohol, which might explain the rusty tank (it pulls water out of the air...)

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Mitsu booster

Hi Mike (and others!),

I'll order the new fuel tank now. Looking on RockAuto, I see a few possibilities.

First is the DORMAN 576011. Second is the SPECTRA PREMIUM CR3B. The Dorman pops up when I search the part number in my owner's manual. The Spectra pops up when I search the 86 Turbocharged Omni. Any suggestions between the two? Will they have the "anti-slosh" dish you mentioned? And does it matter? I don't plan on racing it...probably. I'll drop the tank this weekend (thank heavens for a 3-day weekend) and probably do the new install the following weekend as I imagine it'll take the tank a while to get here.

With regards to location/brand of fuel: my father-in-law bought his fun little 86 GLHS brand new. Drove it predominantly in Northern Nevada, with a little bit of driving in California. It hasn't been driven for almost 15 years, and I imagine that he didn't bother to drain the fuel before it sat. So, fuel pump + Ethel alcohol = poor combo apparently

Thanks for all the advice!

Bryan

turbo addict

The carb fuel tanks have no baffling at all. At least the old ones did not. The aftermarket tanks have what amounts to a oil change drain pan tack welded into the bottom of the pan. Better than nothing I guess. IMO, the OEM ones are the best. What it comes down to is you can't afford to have inadequate fuel pressure at WOT esp. at boost pressures above factory levels.
    +1 on buying new fuel tank. Not really following this thread, but just FYI, the 88-90 TBI fuel pump needs to be changed out on the new assembly to a higher pressure "turbo" pump, AKA Walbro 195-255 ltr./hr pump. Deatschwerks DW200 works too. New pump isn't directly a bolt-in, but with a couple mods, it fits fine. The larger capacity pump is longer and wider than the TBI pump. Picture of Deatschwerks DW200 pump with Honda 0846 kit on new assembly.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5528.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	64336