Thread: T-top trim pics/info needed

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

T-top trim pics/info needed

I'm looking for info on how the trim pieces were originally installed on the T-top Daytonas, specifically the ones across the top of the windshield. On the car I'm working on ('89 ES), the left side was missing, but had two rusty machine screws holding remnants of the plastic. On the right side, there's holes in the plastic that line up with the ones in the metal framework, but no screws. I believe it may have been glued on with urethane or something. I also have an NOS right side piece that only has one of the three holes in it.

The car seems to have been resprayed at some point, and the trim pieces were removed and poorly re-installed. I'd love to have some info and hopefully pics of good condition cars that have all the trim as it was intended to be.

Thanks in advance!

Re: T-top trim pics/info needed

Got ahold of a local guy who was willing to bring his T-top Shelby Z out for me to look at, so I think I've got it figured out.

turbo addict

no, no THERE IS something ya still need to know

your faded oxidized t top plastics will need refreshed..

there's a trick . takes about an hour to make the rough grey plastic look and shine like new

do not try painting the plastic .. instead go get a bottle of turtle wax scratch remover - green bottle..

this stuff IS the perfect polishing / cleaning compound for THAT plastic ..

DO THIS BY HAND .. no buffer

you'll need to hand buff em again each year for maintenance but that's all

for some reason it works on the t top parts but other plastics .. not so much

unless you have deep surface damage the scratch remover is all you'll need along with lots .. of wet rags

you can take the "dryest" , grey-ist, most chaulk-ie , roughest , icky top trim and make it look like brand new sexy shiny smooth as silk plastic ..

do not use scratch remover on things like charger tail lights .. you'll rub the black trim paint off the red plastic lens leaving red spots where the surround should be black..

mirrors . it sometimes works on the mirrors but if surface damage is to great you'll have no result
    the mirrors seem to have a skin on the outer plastic .. seems almost like paint .. if the outer skin layer of the mirrors is toast only sanding & painting with the correct semi gloss trim paint will fix 'em
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 07-30-2020 at 01:09 PM.

I appreciate the advice. I've restored many sets of tail lights (Charger and Daytona, among others), and after owning my Caliber I'm well versed in restoring black trim. But I'll grab a bottle of that Turtle wax on my next parts run and give it a shot.

And yeah, the mirrors on this car are pitted bad, at minimum they'll need some high build primer and sanding before paint.