Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam Numbers/Roller Rockers

Question Cam Numbers/Roller Rockers

I just bought 2 Shelby Chargers, and I'm swapping the 2.2L 8V Turbo from the totaled one with 78k miles on the clock into my shell with a melted piston. I have a rebuilt head with new cam, bearings, valves, surface, etc.ready to go on the new engine, but I don't know a lot about it. The former owner was going to build this motor for performance, but I'm not sure what's in this head.

What I want to know relates to the cam. It is stamped between the first 2 lobes with 818 619. What does this mean? I cannot find any info on google.

I also have a full set of roller rockers for it. These didn't come factory, did they? One of mine has some minor pitted rust, and I'm not sure what to do. It'll destroy the cam like that, would my other factory motor have these in it? If not, where could I get a new one(Ebay is completely void of these)? I don't really want to try to resurface the bearing, if I take too much off and use it I'd be S.O.L.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Cam Numbers/Roller Rockers

There are no part numbers on cams, turbo's are stamped "turbo" on the drivers side end. The only way to tell what you have is to measure it in the car or have a camshaft shop put it on a cam doctor.

Roller cams started in 88 and can replace any slider setup. Lifters are the same but the rockers are roller, of course. If the roller is pitted, replace it, either parts stores, used or wreckers. If the cam lobe is damaged, just go find another turbo car or 88 tbi roller-supposed to have more lift and duration.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

The cam is new. Will any cam take roller rockers though? I know this sounds stupid, but I'm confused as heck because I wasn't planning on disassembling the new engine until about 2 hours ago. I'll check out the yard and see what I can find. Thanks!

turbo addict

I hate to be a jerk, but I can't find anything on pairing rockers with cams. I already looked through a lot of that link before even joining up. I will try to get measurements on my cam to see what exactly it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiacdude210 View Post
    The cam is new. Will any cam take roller rockers though? I know this sounds stupid, but I'm confused as heck because I wasn't planning on disassembling the new engine until about 2 hours ago. I'll check out the yard and see what I can find. Thanks!

You must (should) use roller followers on a roller cam and slider followers on a slider cam.

the only visual way to differentiate between a roller cam and a slider is the lobe width. roller cam
    lobes were aprox. .250in. narrower than the slider lobes.

There are no known casting or stamped numbers to identify a cams specs for these engines.

As stated before 1988 and older used slider, 88 and newer were roller.

And no, you are not being a jerk. Ive been playing with these cars since 1982 and if I was given a bucket of cams the only way I could guess what cam was what would be to compare lobe width, and that would only tell me if it was roller or slider, nothing else. If I'm wrong someone should correct me. Warren
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

There's my problem. I was given a rebuilt head out of an '85 with a new cam, and have NO idea what cam the owner actually used. I know he picked up a new set of rollers(not sliders), but they were sitting in the other car. I want to put the head on the new engine before I drop it, but it is SUCH a headache to find out anything about this cam and whether it is a slider or a roller. The owner hadn't touched it since 1995. Should I talk to a cam shop about this, or is there one measurement I could take that would tell me what cam I had beyond a shadow of a doubt? Will running rollers on a slider cam destroy it or just make it run like crap? Assuming the roller cam is smaller, would the valves not close all the way with rollers on a slider cam?

Can you post a pic of the cam?
    This is a slider.

This is a roller.

Slider cam with roller followers.

Last edited by boost geek; 06-16-2010 at 02:08 AM.
    later Dick Westerhof

Warren, you are right.

Roller cams have a round nose, its its not sharp so the roller can follow it without being spat off. A slider cam is pointy.

Take a pic of your cam.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Here's the cam I have, this is a new head assembly that I got with the car.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0018_large.jpg

Sliders, yes? And the rollers POSITIVELY will not work with this cam?

Thanks SOOOO much to Boost Geek, the pix cleared everything up. I should have figured that one out, I am WAY too tired lately. Up late last night doing interior work on the Shelby.
    Last edited by Pontiacdude210; 06-17-2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: add info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiacdude210 View Post
    Sliders, yes? And the rollers POSITIVELY will not work with this cam?

Thanks SOOOO much to Boost Geek, the pix cleared everything up. I should have figured that one out, I am WAY too tired lately. Up late last night doing interior work on the Shelby.
    The rollers will work BUT you will give up about 4 degrees of valve timing NOT a good thing on a stock cam but on a more agressive cam it will remove some overlap which will make some performace N/A cams work in are turbo apps.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Warren, you are right.

Roller cams have a round nose, its its not sharp so the roller can follow it without being spat off. A slider cam is pointy.

Take a pic of your cam.
    I think you have it backwards, the roller cams have a sharper nose because the roller rockers won't wear it out as quick, and allows a faster ramp speed.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    I think you have it backwards, the roller cams have a sharper nose because the roller rockers won't wear it out as quick, and allows a faster ramp speed.
    I think your both right , ON a PERFOMANCE roller cam( dosen't have to be Mopar) the ramps are very steep but on are stock roller cams are ramps are very soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    No, if you have a pointy nose, the roller can't follow it so it has to be wider and less pointy otherwise the roller will bounce off.

Lightbulb Re: Cam Numbers/Roller Rockers

A roller cam lobe is symetrical, a slider cam lobe has a lop-sided shape that is very noticeable.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by mock_glh View Post
    A roller cam lobe is symetrical, a slider cam lobe has a lop-sided shape that is very noticeable.
    Right ... the rising ramp is convex as opposed to the falling side. You know, when you measure up all the parts and do a comparision between each set-up (roller/slider) there's little if any variation in just installed heights. Anybody actually run a slider with roller followers and experienced "chucked" followers as a result?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

ive heard about running a slider cam with roller followers , any infos on that

turbo addict

I have run rollers on MP slider cams for years with pos results , lifts stays the same just loose some duration on the open and close

I doubt it would work with a high lift slider, it would do damage for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast