Thread: Exhaust bolt installation issue

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

Exhaust bolt installation issue

Does anyone have any tips for installing exhaust bolts? I am trying to reinstall the exhaust down pipe to the back of the turbo. I have changed my fair share of head gaskets on these cars by now, but I don't ever remember having this much trouble. The bolts are new from dorman/HELP, and are identical in length, as are the springs. I used a floor jack to help hold the pipe in position. I must have fought with it for two hours before calling it quits. It seems the bolt isn't long enough for me to get the nut started before compressing the spring. Any advice would be most appreciated!
    thanks,
    Lee

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: Exhaust bolt installation issue

I've always used vise grips to help the flange closed.

I also tack welded a nut to my swingvalve housing next to the turbine housing. I start that one first. Then use the vise grips to help the other one in.

I don't remember them being that bad. Other than the .63 housing and the tu 3" swingvalve area. Hence the welded nut.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Have you thought about threading the SV? I've done that with it on the car before. It beat the same situation you're currently in that I was experiencing at the time. At least you're not alone.

turbo addict

I've had the factory bolts /springs seem a little short too but never had any real issue
    though I make life easy and simply always use two of the tab nuts
    and I never try to unbolt them unless the hardware is still new
    I simply overtighten to snap the bolts

but as for your problem , perhaps your PROBABLY non o-e donut seal might be a little to thick ??

personally I would never want a thread in the swing valve but maybe I've dealt with to many ford manifolds so I'm tired of drilling holes where snapped off studs live

Hybrid booster

Sometimes it’s better to just walk away for a little and come back to it. I had a particularly tough time once on a buddies car - bone stock with new oem hardware.
    I used Timeserts on my swingvalve to make it easier.
    Heres a thread on threading the SV: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=#post1132386

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Have you thought about threading the SV? I've done that with it on the car before. It beat the same situation you're currently in that I was experiencing at the time. At least you're not alone.

Second this. I did this to my car. I drilled and helicoiled the holes to fit the stock size exhaust bolts. I remember it used to take me a lot fussing to get those stupid bolt/nuts together before. It's so much easier now that the holes are threaded.

Thank you for all the replies! I didn't want to tap out the swing valve because I don't want to drill out a snapped off bolt in the future. After I posted this question last night, I decided to search the forum for ideas. Someone mentioned compressing the springs in a vice, wire tying them, then install the first couple threads into the nut, then cut the wire. Worked like a champ, and I had it installed in 10 minutes!!
    Thats the great news. The not so great news is, while rotating the tires, I noticed the rear axle has a rusted crack in it. I'll post a new thread, but for those reading this, anyone have any idea where I can get a new/replacement axle?
    Thanks,
    Lee

Hybrid booster

My cars never together long enough to worry about those exhaust bolts rusting to the swingvalve Timeserts
    Glad you got it together.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie Fisher View Post
    My cars never together long enough to worry about those exhaust bolts rusting to the swingvalve Timeserts
    Glad you got it together.
    Same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    I've had the factory bolts /springs seem a little short too but never had any real issue
    though
    I have wondered why the manufactures don't make the bolts 5-10mm longer... It would make it much easier to install. I have used standard metric bolts before, they lack the stop for tightening though...

I make life easy and simply always use two of the tab nuts
    One of the things I figured out last time is to NOT use the tab nuts.... The steel tab makes it that much more I have to squeeze the spring to get threads to engage... After wrestling with it for too long I switched to the nuts and was quickly able to get the threads to engage with the nut...

For removal, I have started plasma torching the nuts... I get most of the way through and give it a wack with a hammer and punch and break them.

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    Same.
    Last head gasket job I did was in 2008, so I had a great run I'd say.

turbo addict

Best thing to do is to tap the holes for an 8x1.25mm Heli-coil. you can do it from under the car. The Heli-coil is Stainless so it won't rust. The bolts come out with ease even after 2 winters of salted roads and no washes ever. I know because I bought a rusted out Canadian car and had to pull the head to do a headgasket and re-install the follower that popped out. The car looked like someone had backed it into the ocean for about 10 years. But it was cheap. I threaded the Swingvalve for heli-coils as I hate fighting with the nuts and non of my "Friends" will come help me. The casted holes are just the right size you don't even need to drill them out! Just use some oil and run the tap in there. So drove the car for 2 winters, it was too rusted to worry about washing it. Then parked it for 2 years or so. I just parted most of it out and forgot to unhook the exhaust before dropping the motor. I cringed at the thought of taking them out as I had forgotten I'd heli-coiled them. They came right out with hardly any force necessary.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

One thing I've found to make it easier is to lace a couple zip ties through the springs and compress them with a vice. Pull the zip ties tight and they'll hold the springs down and make it easier to get the bolts into the nuts. Then I just cut the zip ties off and done.