Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sci/FTDI cable issues

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Sci/FTDI cable issues

FT Prog didn't show any errors? If it was able to recognize it I would think it should work.
    Did you download the correct drivers to the new computer?
    Did anything change with the old one?
    You need those .net framework drivers too.

I would suggest following the setup instructions again, and see if that works.
    If you already did, then maybe someone else has some ideas.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

Ft prog didn't show any errors, although I'm not sure where it would alert me of that.

I had uninstalled the drivers yesterday and let the cable run through the found new hardware thing. The boostbutton tuning wiki says it shouldnt be able to be loaded as VCP if this doesnt work right and that you should get an exclamation point indicating an error. I was able to load it as VCP and I didnt get any errors after setting up the cable again.

I'm not sure what the .net framework drivers are? I might be misunderstanding a step in the process here.

Nothing has changed since using mpscan with my old computer. I used my old laptop and it recognized the FTDI in the bottom left corner of the program, but it told me that the key needed to be turned on and off again. It was working on my old laptop a while ago, but stopped with no changes in my laptop.Some time has passed since i last used mpscan with my old laptop and I'm wondering if the cable gave out within the time that i stopped using my old laptop and switched over to the new one.

Could someone elaborate on the .net framework drivers, so i could give that a shot before buying another cable?

Garrett booster

Check your installed apps in Windows for Microsoft .Net Framework. If it is not installed click on the link that I pasted below to install the drivers.

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework

Garrett booster

I just checked and it appears that I already have the .net framework drivers installed.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

make sure you run through this thread. also, in mptune you can check if your cable works by connecting the ftdi cable tx/rx lines and running the port tester program under com settings.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=#post1151140
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    make sure you run through this thread. also, in mptune you can check if your cable works by connecting the ftdi cable tx/rx lines and running the port tester program under com settings.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=#post1151140
    I started over and followed all instructions from this exactly. Mpscan still didnt work.

I tried the com port test in Mptune by connecting the tx and rx spade on the cable and it returned "it works!"

I then tried recording a log in Mpscan with the tx and rx connected to itself and the program ran and it recorded stationary gauges.
    When i tried connecting to the sci port on the car it was unable to record a log.

I'm at a loss for what to try next...

are you positive you have the rx / tx lines not reversed to the ecu? i.e. have you tried swapping them? are you connecting the ground wire on the ftdi cable?
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Garrett booster

I have the boostbutton cable with the spade terminals soldered directly to the board, so I dont think I could reverse them if I tried. Nonetheless, I grabbed some cables and reversed the TX and RX and connected the GND using wires going to the sci port, but the same exact issue popped up.

I also tried using the cable with Rx and Tx reversed in Ft prog and I also tried it without them reversed. Neither worked, even though it loaded up as an ftdi com port everytime in mpscan.

Garrett booster

I have left this issue unaddressed all year and now I've gotten to the point where I really need to sort this out. I just got an mpflash put into a spare smec and I cannot communicate through the sci port. Consequently, I can't flash to my mpflash equipped smec.

Communications are unsuccessful regardless of what smec that I try to use. Fortunately, I can run on my socketed smec, but I cant datalog on the socketed smec due to sci port/cable issues (or potentially some other issue that I have overlooked).

Here's what I have done so far:

I spoke about a boostbutton sci cable on this thread previously. I went through it again and I have set it up according to the FTDI cable setup thread:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...DI-cable-setup

I also tried a new ftdi cable connected to the boostbutton board, but this was unsuccessful.

I also purchased a good known working sci cable and neither of the cables work.

I have the latest FTDI drivers installed (2.12.28.0)
    The Vendor ID is correct (0x0403) product ID (0x6001)
    (The serial number is different than what was shown in the setup thread, but I assume this is to be expected right?)
    D2XX is left unchecked so that the VCP driver can be loaded
    TXD and RXD are inverted in ft_prog
    IO controls were set as follows:
    C0 SLEEP#
    C1 SLEEP#
    C2 SLEEP#
    C3 TXLED#
    C4 RXLED#
    I then programmed the device using the lightning bolt icon in ft_prog
    advanced port settings in the device manager match the settings shown in the thread
    the usb serial converter in device manager has vcp checked

I performed the com port test in mptune and it returned the "It works!" message.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling MPTune/MPScan on multiple laptops, but to no avail
    I also have the latest .net framework installed

I also was suspicious that my wiring harness might be the issue, so I checked the pink and green RX and TX wires and they both have continuity from the sci port to the 60 pin connector at the computer. GND also has continuity to the battery.

I have tried flashing the mpflash smec with the 11 pin bootstrap wire connected and the flash fails.

I also have tried starting a log with my socketed smec on MPTune and I am prompted by MPScan to turn off the key and try again.

Everytime either of the cables are plugged in, the FTDI cable shows up in the bottom left corner of the software. It is odd that the cables show up, but I can't use them to serve any purpose.

I really feel like I have covered all my bases with the Sci cables, but maybe I have some sort of blindspot and missed something with the cables. Maybe there's some issue related to software or the wiring harness or something else? I am hoping that someone else can help me figure out what other factors could be stopping me from getting these communications to work. I have spent hours and hours trying to get it working and I can't really think of anything else that could be fixed.

Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated. I don't know what else could be stopping the communications.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

First thing that jumps out at me, only because you didn't say, is in the program settings of mptune, do you have the MPFlash module selected?
    And be sure to check the default ECU type is correct, so SMEC T1 then.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

I would like to mention that the Rx Tx can be confusing at times. To keep the confusion to a minimum we ECU guys use a reference to the ECU.
    ECU Rx green to FTDI Tx
    ECU Tx Pink to FTDI Rx
    If you are using a Boostbutton SCI connector it labelled in reverse and are referenced to the FTDI cable
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12