Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sci/FTDI cable issues

Garrett booster

Sci/FTDI cable issues

I have a boostbutton sci connector that I would like to use for datalogging on my 89 t2 smec, however I have had quite a bit of issues getting it to actually work. To my understanding, it should be mostly setup already, but I have used FT_prog to ensure that the Tx and Rx are inverted as well as have the d2xx checked off (this was unchecked when I first received the cable...not sure if that makes a difference). The device manager shows that the com port is present and the usb serial converter properties shows that vcp is loaded.

When I have the ignition key on and click the record button, MPScan tells me to try again and that the key needs to be turned on and off again.

One odd thing I noticed is that the bottom corner of MPScan says FTDI port settings, but sometimes it says Generic port settings instead. I have attached a screencap of this:

Anyways, I must be doing something wrong, but I have no clue what it is. There is seemingly no pattern to the change in Generic port to FTDI port either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	681 
Size:	1.3 KB 
ID:	64241  

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Sci/FTDI cable issues

Sounds like you have every correct. If you have the right Com port selected in MPScan but it displayed generic in the lower corner you can just close the program and re-open. It should then list FTDI.

When I first tried flashing/logging I was pulling my hair out trying to get it to work. It turned out that my SCI cables (actually the connector boards) had issues.

Garrett booster

Reopening the program did change it to list FTDI, so that solves that mystery, but unfortunately it looks like I'm unable to borrow a cable from anyone nearby. How can I go about checking mine for physical faults or where do I go about purchasing another?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jrod1231 View Post
    Reopening the program did change it to list FTDI, so that solves that mystery, but unfortunately it looks like I'm unable to borrow a cable from anyone nearby. How can I go about checking mine for physical faults or where do I go about purchasing another?
    Send us a picture of both sides of the board, it could be an assembly issue.
    Last edited by chromguy; 08-02-2019 at 08:28 AM.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Garrett booster

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190802-191751_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	367.1 KB 
ID:	64247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190802-191753_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	64248

If you have the ability to solder, I would recommend to reflow the solder on the pins, Including the Rx,Tx and ground pins of the SCI connector as several are not soldered on both side. This may or maynot make a difference.
    Oh are you sure the wires are connected to the proper positions?
    Regards,
    Miles

I'll resist asking where it came from.

I'm guessing it doesn't pass the cable test in MPSCAN or MPTUNE, whichever has it? Where you jump the RX and TX blades and run the cable test to make sure it's good.

I don't see a resistor installed. It don't believe there is any need for you to have one using this for a SMEC. But without one installed or anything connecting those pads... your TX spade isn't connected to the TX of your cable.

If you bridge those pads at "R1" you should have your connection.

If you want a quick test that might work without any soldering... assuming you can get a good enough connection just by holding it in place. Take that extra green wire that goes to the "Bt" spot. The one that isn't part of the FTDI cable. Hold it to the solder pad just above the R of "R1" or the 1 of "D1". Either should then give a connection between the TX spade and the TX wire of the FTDI cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan H View Post

I don't see a resistor installed. It don't believe there is any need for you to have one using this for a SMEC. But without one installed or anything connecting those pads... your TX spade isn't connected to the TX of your cable.

If you bridge those pads at "R1" you should have your connection.
    Good catch Dan
    Regards,
    Miles

Garrett booster

I bridged the gap for R1 and I'm able to run mpscan now, however the mpscan dash is all over the place and my logs are terribly incorrect. When idling, the map and rpm gauges bounce all over whereas the mph stays at 0.

Also, when I stop recording a log, the engine's actual idle raises to about 1500 rpm.

Does this seem like a hardware issue still? (Perhaps the missing resistor?) Here is what the board looks like now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190805_140104.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	298.6 KB 
ID:	64250  

Garrett booster

Any ideas on what type of diode is supposed to be used and what kind of resistor? I would be willing to solder those up if someone knows.

Any ideas on what type of diode is supposed to be used and what kind of resistor? I would be willing to solder those up if someone knows.
    I don't think either should have any effect on the issues you are experiencing. They are only needed for protection if you are using the cable to flash a SBEC. For a SMEC, I'm pretty certain you can just put a spade connector on the RX and TX of an FTDI cable for logging (after cable setup).
    Did you re-flow the solder like Miles suggested? To me it looks like there may have been a lot of heat into the board when the header connector was soldered.

Have you double checked all of your settings in MPSCAN? Like your profile and connection has the correct ECU type selected?

A stock t2 smec or a turbonator cal?
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    A stock t2 smec or a turbonator cal?
    any update?

Garrett booster

Apologies for the late reply. It was just a dumb mistake on my part. I was using my factory smec. Once i switched over to my socketed smec, MPscan worked just fine. However, I do still have an issue with the idle.

Whenever I stop a log, the idle raises to about 1500 rpm, which is a bit odd. When I shut it down and start it back up, everything returns to normal.

Whenever I stop a log, the idle raises to about 1500 rpm, which is a bit odd. When I shut it down and start it back up, everything returns to normal.
    i need to do some investigating on this. i was aware that the LM sometimes would act up this way but haven't heard about the smec doing it. curious if some of the other smec users (wayne H?) experience this.

Garrett booster

Never experienced this idle increase with a SMEC. I do see this regularly on my LM k-car.

which specific smec cal are you using?

Garrett booster

I'm using this cal: T-SMEC_22_ATX_A124_Masi

I made a few changes, but even when running the bone stock turbonator cal, I have the same issue.

Garrett booster

I just recently got a new laptop and I'm trying to get mpscan to work again. I'm having the same problem where Mpscan tells me that the com port cannot be setup and to turn the key off and on again.

I'm still using the same cable and I checked it out in FT prog for good measure. Tx and RX are inverted and d2xx is checked. Vcp is loaded in device manager too.

I can get Mpscan to show the FTDI port in the bottom left corner of the window, but recording a log never works. This is on a turbonator cal via ostrich. I switched back to my old laptop and I couldnt get it to work either. Is it possible that the cable broke at a coincidental time?

I reflowed the connections at Tx, Rx, GND, and R1 to no avail. I'm starting to guess that the cable broke somehow.

Is anyone selling properly made cables? or does anyone have any advice to repair this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast