Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Turbo Mom Van

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: Turbo Mom Van

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I might put an exhaust on it this year, but Joy might not appreciate that.
    put on a 3" downpipe that feeds a straight through muffler (glasspack, magnaflow, dynomax ultraflow welded etc) with a boost actuated cutout, with the normally open side fed to the stock exhaust. put a switch in the dash that controls a solenoid to enable the boost actuated cutout to dump past the loud muffler.... the switch having 2 positions, one labeled "Joy" and the other labeled "Mutant Sasquatch that likes loud things".... problem solved/solution engaged!

Brian

- - - Updated - - -

oh.... the switch that enables the cutout may need to be tied into an chip address selector that enables a second cal that is tuned to the open exhaust....

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by "Top Fuel" Bender View Post
    love how they wake right up and run well then remind ya , yeah i want some more attention
    They certainly have a way of doing that, don't they. This van has been pretty good to us, so I can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    put on a 3" downpipe that feeds a straight through muffler (glasspack, magnaflow, dynomax ultraflow welded etc) with a boost actuated cutout, with the normally open side fed to the stock exhaust. put a switch in the dash that controls a solenoid to enable the boost actuated cutout to dump past the loud muffler.... the switch having 2 positions, one labeled "Joy" and the other labeled "Mutant Sasquatch that likes loud things".... problem solved/solution engaged!

Brian

oh.... the switch that enables the cutout may need to be tied into an chip address selector that enables a second cal that is tuned to the open exhaust....

Brian
    That's not a bad idea. I'm wondering how happy I would be with just a grainger set at 8PSI though. This thing runs so well I don't think it will take much to keep me very happy.

turbo addict

The same switch for the exhaust could control a solenoid to a second g-valve for 12 psi...just sayin'.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

It's really not a bad idea. The van feels great with just a fresh stock head, manifolds, and a TII turbo on it. Some more boost would really wake it up. At the same time, it's prime goal is to haul the kids and be able to pass someone. It pretty well has that under control.

I've been upgrading the van over the summer, starting with some basic maintenance. I changed out the rear brakes, and shocks. Now I'm upgrading to a 2nd gen van K frame for the dual pivot arms. I'll be replacing the struts too. It should be a terrific upgrade from the mix master parts store special struts in there now.

Does anyone know if the manual trans motor mount insert is the same as the auto trans, just the bracket being different? I need to replace that while I'm in there.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post

Brian

- - - Updated - - -

Brian
    Boost Activated Loudvalves – LoudValves

They open up around 6-7PSI. I'd get them tuned for the open valve.

Quote Originally Posted by INVUJerry View Post

Thanks for the link. When I finally get around to doing the exhaust on the van, I'll certainly think about that.

I have replaced the struts and switched to the dual pivot K frame. It was a nice upgrade.

Yesterday, we had a bit of a problem on our trip to Holiday World. I smelled a lot of raw oil a couple times while driving the 3+ hours there. Upon arrival, I noticed that the plug for the fill in the trans was missing. It must have come out along the way, and was probably the result of my not putting it back in there all the way after I checked the fluid the night before. Oops. There was a Napa near by with real parts men working the counter. They set me up with a .750" compression plug that held just fine the whole way home. It took about a quart and a half to get it topped off, so we were luck no damage occurred. I checked again this morning, and when I removed the plug, oil was wanting to migrate out, so that was great. I replaced the compression style plug with a stock piece from my pile of spares in the basement. I'm hoping to be all set with it, and I'll certainly be more diligent about ensuring that the plugs get inserted all the way in the future.

ETA: The van didn't want to start when we left yesterday. The relay just clicked. A few attempts later, it fired up with no subsequent issues. I checked the connection at the relay today, and while there was a very small amount of corrosion on the terminals, I doubt that is the root cause. I have a new starter on the way, as I bet the solenoid is going out of it.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by INVUJerry View Post

yeah have two of those (ebay/aliexpress version, much cheaper) waiting for install on various vehicles.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345