Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Mom Van

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: On another adventure

What's happening here? Time for some upgrades while we are freshening things up. Of course one thing always leads to another...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220729_112234.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	851.0 KB 
ID:	66006 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220729_112314.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	834.9 KB 
ID:	66005

Re: Turbo Mom Van

The old head and turbo were real troopers. 258k and change is nothing to sneeze at.

Name:	20220729_124354.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	66009 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220729_124344.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1,019.7 KB 
ID:	66010

As the daylight trails off and its time to clean the drive, I realize that there is a lot of silver happening in the engine bay. We will see what can be done about that tomorrow.

Name:	20220729_193225.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	883.3 KB 
ID:	66011

Well, I put a lot of time into the car today trying to make everything look relatively factory. Then upon trying to fire up the van, it started giving a code 11. I guess it's time to start trouble shooting that tomorrow. I've already cleaned the hep connections and the one behind the battery. I'll report back with any findings.

It was an interesting issue. There was a false code 11. I thought about the fact that I never disconnected the battery, and that lead me to 4eset the computer today. I knew the timing had to be off, so I verified it with a mirror at the cam. However, I remembered that I just threw the dist in and that I could have had it oriented the opposite way. That was certainly the case, as when I flipped it around, the van fired right up. Oops.

Joy tapped the dist so I could watch for the time ING mark to come around in the window, which is a very different level of difficulty when all of the airbox business is actually in place.

I'm going to let the car Cool down and retorted the head studs. The the final valve covers each can be put in place and we should be off to the races.

I now have an Mpscilink in the van. It is working well after a test. My last temp is just a little over 100 degrees, so it's almost time to retorque the head studs according to the device.

Hybrid booster

So I guess the swing vale worked out for you? Glad to see it going to a cool build!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmonty View Post
    So I guess the swing vale worked out for you? Glad to see it going to a cool build!
    It is working out really well. Thanks again. I can't wait to get it on the road and to really put it through the paces..

Well the van got jealous of the other cars and the Raychem DR-25 heat shrink, along with the mil spec wire. I would have thought that the new PTFE oil feed line would have been good enough, but noooooo...

I think there was just enough oil on the two piece intake to slosh off and ignite on the way down to the grody and oil caked starter heat shield. It sparked a nice little oil fire. While I was tempted to just grab some mallows and let it burn itself out, I decided instead to grab the fire extinguisher from under the kitchen sink, just to see if it still had a charge in it. That put a quick end to my marshmallows, but might have been for the best.

I decided to just splice in a new section of line and cover the actual splices with adhesive lined heat shrink under some dr25. Since it's just the two wires which are right by the battery and make a run straight to the starter, I just ran it all the way from the battery to the starter.

Along the way, I used a crimp tool I impulse bought from Amazon. It is pretty awesome. Ice used it a couple times in the last week.

Name:	20220802_150402.jpg 
Views:	50 
ID:	66017 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220802_150423.jpg 
Views:	43 
ID:	66018

Name:	20220802_150437.jpg 
Views:	44 
ID:	66019 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220802_150652.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1,020.0 KB 
ID:	66020

I'm also thinking about getting a tattoo so my hand can look like thise for more than 4-5 hours per day.

Name:	20220802_152203.jpg 
Views:	51 
ID:	66021

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Good progress!
    And thank goodness you reached for the fire extinguisher before things really got going.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Good progress!
    And thank goodness you reached for the fire extinguisher before things really got going.

After really pulling everything apart yesterday, I realized that it probably would have just smoldered for a minute, but better safe than sorry. That was a first for me, but I should have just pulled that heat shield when I originally saw how bad it was.

Today my an pressure test kit came in. My lines seem to hold 175psi just fine, so in addition to looking fine, I believe they weren't damaged just like everything else in that area. If it want touching that stater blanket, it was good to go.

Tomorrow the oil line and air box etc. Will go back on and it should be better than when it left the factory.

An 8mm socket tried to hide under the computer so I pulled I out and found 0erha0s the cleanest computer retainer bolts on any of my cars.

The starter wiring feels like it is further from the starter than the stock stuff was, so I'm feeling good about that. I might install the mpscilink in the car today and go for a drive.

Name:	20220804_095128.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	914.2 KB 
ID:	66023
    Last edited by cordes; 08-04-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Took the van for a drive and it ran well. It seems like it might not be making as much boost. I need to see if that's just due to the larger turbo or if the solenoid can't vent enough air for the vacuum line wg combination.

Changed the injectors tonight because they were DUMPING fuel into the exhaust. We're talking raw fuel dripping from the muffler style. Two of them went at the same time to varying degrees. Fortunately it was a mechanical failure and not electrical. Running right as rain now. For now...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

interesting, glad you fixed it
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    interesting, glad you fixed it
    I've never had that happen before. The injector on #3 seemed like it leaked a little, as that plug was wet. #1 was clearly stuck wide open. It was running very rough as one would imagine on essentially 2-3 cylinders. Now it idles well again. That could have been bad for sure.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Wow, thankfully you caught it before it did any damage.
    Might still want to do an oil change, and maybe even a sacrificial fill and dump.

Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Wow, thankfully you caught it before it did any damage.
    Might still want to do an oil change, and maybe even a sacrificial fill and dump.

Oh, I changed the oil and let it drain for a long time. It didn't smell like gas in the oil like I thought it would. My old omni was much worse when I had an adjustable FPR that wouldn't go low enough in the dark ages of tuning. If it was off idle it was fine, but sitting in traffic was an issue...

I got the van out today and ran it to the parts store for the first time this year. It fired right up and ran really well. I changed the oil, but noticed that the front wheel bearing has a lot of play in it. I have since ordered up a couple Timken units from Rockauto.com I could have sworn that I put bearings in this thing when I did the big breaks, but maybe not.

The van has 261 thousand on it and is still going strong. I am really enjoying it. The TII turbo with two piece intake really woke it up. I might put an exhaust on it this year, but Joy might not appreciate that.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I got the van out today and ran it to the parts store for the first time this year. It fired right up and ran really well. I changed the oil, but noticed that the front wheel bearing has a lot of play in it. I have since ordered up a couple Timken units from Rockauto.com I could have sworn that I put bearings in this thing when I did the big breaks, but maybe not.

The van has 261 thousand on it and is still going strong. I am really enjoying it. The TII turbo with two piece intake really woke it up. I might put an exhaust on it this year, but Joy might not appreciate that.
    love how they wake right up and run well then remind ya , yeah i want some more attention
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast