Thread: Floor Pan Restoration

Mitsu booster

Floor Pan Restoration

Recently purchased my new project. It's a 1990 Daytona ES 3.0L V6. Ran into an issue with the front floor pans. They are rotted entirely through. I can put my hand in the cabin from under the car. I was wondering if anyone has done a replacement/patching project recently. Need advice, and tools. Also if you have any resources to find the floor pan for this car, please attach the link.

Hybrid booster

Re: Floor Pan Restoration

www.car-part.com All lower case and type it in Google Search JUST as you see it With (.s) & (-s.) Many sites will come up BUT YOU WANT THE ONE THAT ADVERTISES 140,000,000 auto parts listed. CLICK ON IT AND FILL IN ALL THE BLANKS AND I'D SEARCH THE WHOLE USA AND CONCENTRATE ON THE SOUTHERN, WESTERN, AND NORTH WESTERN STATES. fill in your zip code too or the site won't help you. G.L with it, Jer

Mitsu booster

Went through the website and selected all options that I am looking for. I may have to weld in big pans of sheet metal. Thanks for the website though. I found a couple of other things that I might be interested in at a later date once the vehicle is stable.

Mitsu booster

I did all 4 corners on my 89 lebaron this last February. had to cut and bend all sheet metal to fit, by hand. I used thin cardboard for pattern then transferred to metal. I would recommend using a self etching primer on the steel when finished then painting. Seam seal on top and bottom seams, and use a nice thick rubberized under body spray on bottom.
    https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q..._0GXf3E8Q_2mf5

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...pr96truo1r7iqv

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

The current and previous issues of Car Craft have some pretty good articles on floor pan replacement. They're pretty generalized on the details, but it will point you in the right direction and give you an idea of what you're up against. Downside is, pans for our cars are not reproduced like the classic pony cars are; you'll have to find a rust free donor.

turbo addict

There are NO "off-the-shelf" body restoration panels for these cars. If you need to replace metal, you're either cutting it out of another car, or you're making it by hand.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Make your own and weld them solid. The floor ties the unitized structure together. If it’s not solid, you’re losing structural integrity. It makes a big difference if you auto cross or get in a crash.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

There are some universal type floor pan patch panels/sections out there from places like EMS automotive and I'm sure others. I just finished up fixing a rust hole inside the rear wheel well on my Shadow. Probably one of the more challenging locations to weld for someone like myself who does not do it often enough but I got it done.

My only take away with sheet metal welding... take it easy and figure out your heat settings. It can be a very fine line between the popcorn and swiss cheese sometimes
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

turbo addict

mmm
    sheet metal..
    someone ... maybe in arizona or texas where stuff don't rust needs to start cutting up the good solid cars instead of just crushing them .. while there are still some to chop up left..
    just saying

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

When I fixed the floor of my Rampage, I ordered a half-floor section for an early Mustang. It wasn't a drop-in replacement by any stretch but it gave me some nice clean metal to work with, and the shapes came in handy.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Mitsu booster

thanks guys, I went to a local body shop and picked up some scrap sheet metal. I cut and molded it to fit. Its some good patching. I have yet to weld them in though. They are currently screwed into the floor pan so they hold there shape. waiting until I have the time to weld them, but I may just seal and rivet them.

- - - Updated - - -

I will have a few pictures up in a day or two of the progress that I have made.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I should point out that the floor pan on uni-body cars are a major part of the car's structure. Rivets, especially aluminum "pop" rivets, aren't going to provide the needed strength. If you don't have access to a welder or can't get access in the near future, another possible option might be 3M panel adhesive. You'll have to get it from an automotive body supplier, and I assume it's kinda spendy, but if used properly it might provide the needed strength. But you'll have to follow the directions for use to the letter, especially for the preparation and clamping time. Instructions should be available in a pdf from 3M.