Thread: Omni GLH coil springs

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Omni GLH coil springs

I’m installing new shocks and struts on my ‘86 GLH Turbo and got a couple questions.

Fronts
    Do the factory springs come with a tag and a three letter code on them? Mine have a paper tag with “XHD” printed on them. Also, the little tang protruding from the outer circumference of the upper strut mount....it looks like that is installed 180’ away in relation to the lower knuckle mounting tabs according to the FSM I have. Is this right? I’m confused here because this seems opposite of the notch on the upper strut mount on the K-based cars which lines up directly with the lower tabs that attach the knuckle.

Rears
    It appears one of my rear springs was either cut or broke at some point. It sits (freestanding) about an inch shorter than the other and is one coil lesser than the other. Would it be possible to use Shelby Charger rear springs on the GLH? Those are the only other springs I have on hand, aside from a set of BC coil overs that I didn’t really want to use for this project. Also are the rear upper spring seats no longer available for the L-body? I can’t find them anywhere. I can find the isolators, but not the metal spring seat that goes under the mount cup.

Re: Omni GLH coil springs

Here are a couple pictures of my front springs. The driver side is part # 4322038 and the passenger side is 4322037.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0168_Fotor.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	64220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0167_Fotor.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	64219

Here is a picture of my rear springs. One is actually about 2" shorter than the other! The ends seem OK (normal I guess) and it's not obvious that they have been cut or broken.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0169_Fotor.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	64221

Also, I was wrong about the rear upper spring seat in my first post. It's actually the *front* upper metal spring seat I can't find. It's the part with the protruding metal tab for lining it up with the strut/knuckle tabs. The new upper strut mounts didn't come with them. I can just reuse mine after having them blasted so no big deal.

turbo addict

Hi Jeremy,
    Yes the XHD springs are correct for the GLHT. Is your car a AC car or non AC car? The reason I ask is the non AC cars had a slightly different spring in left and right side (directional), while the AC GLH's appeared to use the same spring left and right. Non AC left spring would have 038 XHD and right spring 036 XHD. Rears are all the same for GLH's, should have 323 HD for the tags. Yes you have the orientation correct, it is different than the larger cars.

Weird I just saw yours have 037/038 springs. My non AC GLHT came with 036/038? Maybe the 2 dr GLHS's & SC should have 034 XHD on both front left and right? This was confirmed by a friend on mine that is restoring his GLHS.

I thought I saw the rear spring seats (aftermarket) on EBay or Amazon for l-bodies a short time ago. I was looking for springs, shocks, struts, isolators, etc, for a friend of mine's GLHT. I remember them being real inexpensive. I believe rear springs for a GLHT are going to be difficult if not impossible to find new. Part # is 4228323 if you want to look for them. BTW the MP rear springs p4120801 were just factory 323 HD springs. Made that mistake once buying them thinking they were a stiffer autocross spring.
    Todd

turbo addict

Jeremy check out this link.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...to-front-Konis
    Scroll down to 86Shelby post. Click on his link.
    Todd

Thanks for the info Todd. Yes, this car does have A/C (my gold GLHT).

The rear springs I have don't have any tags on them. Not sure what to make of the height difference between them. Might have to try Shelby Charger rear springs I have rather than use these.

turbo addict

have you got an 80's dc/mp catalogue?

the L spring list should indicate what fits what

I may well be wrong but I seem to recall they had a different trailing axle for the charger vs omni - in the dc/mp cat too
    but I also remember seeing a 2.5 intercooled smec listing I can't find again ..so ???

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    I may well be wrong but I seem to recall they had a different trailing axle for the charger vs omni - in the dc/mp cat too
    but I also remember seeing a 2.5 intercooled smec listing I can't find again ..so ???
    Johnny, the GLH had a 1/2" longer or wider trailing axle than the regular NA Omni/Horizon. Some people even spaced them out another 1/4" on each side further still. Those people must think they have a wide track Pontiac. hehe.
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 07-17-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks for the link Todd. Nice to know the car still has it's original (and correct) front springs at least. I'm still trying to keep the car as stock as possible, so I may have to hunt down a pair of good GLH rear springs.

I happen to have the K-frame and rear trailing arm out of the gold '86 GLH Turbo at the moment; stripped down even. I also have a bare K-frame and rear trailing arm from a '85 Shelby Charger turbo so I'll have to compare them.

turbo addict

AH , thanks - I knew somethin' was different in the GLH .. back there

(info I don't use grew fuzz on it years ago)