Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intermediate shaft machining

turbo addict

Re: Intermediate shaft machining

Quote Originally Posted by 83rampage View Post
    Can you explain this? I looked up bearing race hardness, and the mighty Google says 60 RC is about right.
    I expected to see numbers in the higher 60's. Based on your research, it looks like my expectations were a bit high!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    what's the trans again ?

re welding the case .. 555's have a heat treated case , 520's do not
    I know this has been debated for a long time. Is there any actual indication of this?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I expected to see numbers in the higher 60's. Based on your research, it looks like my expectations were a bit high!

I know this has been debated for a long time. Is there any actual indication of this?
    none whats so ever, the case part numbers back in the day were the same between the 2 transmissions and were cast at the same place.

Garrett booster

Decided to post an update of sorts. Nothing really new at this point. All my summer obligations have completely de-railed any momentum I had to get this done, but I plan to bring this to a resolution.

I did email a member on here that had offered to get these repaired few years ago, but his feedback was that he had a few with problems so he stopped providing the service. I asked him for some specific info on how he did the modification and how they failed but he hasnt responded. I will try to get hold of the member on TD and see if he has any helpful info.

Garrett booster

Last update. After a lot of consideration I have decided to abandon this method in favour of the modification using the NUP 2206E bearing. This has been successfully done by another member, and although it requires more substantial modification to the case, it is more practical than trying to get the Honda bearing to work.

The ultimate problem I found with the Honda bearing is the inner race on the shaft. There isnt enough hardened material left on the shaft if machined to size, so a sleeve is the only option. There in lies the problem. The only "off the shelf" sleeve I found would require removing a considerable amount of material from the snout of the shaft due to the thickness of the sleeve, and in my estimation, would not leave enough strength in the shaft to have a reliable transmission... unless someone can run the engineering numbers and tell me the shaft would still be strong enough at 25 mm diameter.

That leaves getting a custom sleeve made and machined to size to balance sleeve thickness with inner bore size. This gets into metallurgy and trying to source the proper material, and getting it heat treated.....way too far out of my comfort zone. At least with an off the shelf bearing race you know that engineering has been done and it should work as expected.

Doing the alternate mod gives a physically bigger bearing which should have a better load rated capacity. Welding up the case to support the bearing is the only sticky point that I dont really love, however the concept has been proven, so I need to find a good aluminum welder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12